Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM

79 posts, read 108,737 times

Advertisements

Based on the following criteria, which would you suggest is a better choice when deciding where to live:

1. Safety
2. Commute to downtown ATL (i.e. traffic)
3. Rental Rates
4. Recreation (i.e. parks, movies, and other activities)
5. Diversity

Are there benefits of one county over the other (Gwinnette vs. Fulton). I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
1. Tossup. Some parts of Roswell seem to have more crime problems than you expect. Holcomb Bridge at 400 comes to mind. Same with Duluth for the parts to the south towards Gwinnett Place. The rest of both areas seem to have no issues.

2. Like choosing Las Vegas or Phoenix for summer. One is probably worse (I'm thinking Duluth) but both will suck. Though you can drive to MARTA and ride the train in.

3. I think Duluth is a little cheaper but don't hold me to that.

4. Roswell has the river right there but I think Gwinnett (Duluth) parks are better than Fultons. Duluth is also right next to the river but I haven't seen as much focus on it. May have just missed it.

5. Duluth but Roswell is no slouch at diversity either.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:11 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
I really like Roswell. It is on my radar too. I like the topography and the historic core. The river is also quite nice in that area. The commute down GA 400 would be atrocious. However, depending on where your office is downtown, you might be able to just drive to North Springs station and ride the train. Can't speak about crime or rental rates.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Have you thought about living closer to Downtown ATL? That's a soul sucking commute you are talking about.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:29 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
Based on the following criteria, which would you suggest is a better choice when deciding where to live:

1. Safety
2. Commute to downtown ATL (i.e. traffic)
3. Rental Rates
4. Recreation (i.e. parks, movies, and other activities)
5. Diversity

Are there benefits of one county over the other (Gwinnette vs. Fulton). I appreciate your input.
1. About the same
2. Roswell
3. Duluth
4. Roswell for easier access to a variety of recreational activities. Duluth for parks.
5. Duluth

I went to a job interview in Duluth more than 10 years ago. I started from Vinings and thought I'd never stop driving. It's a nice day trip, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Have you thought about living closer to Downtown ATL? That's a soul sucking commute you are talking about.
What do you mean by "soul sucking"? I commute an hour to and from work now, living in Chicago.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "soul sucking"? I commute an hour to and from work now, living in Chicago.
It will be about the same. Bumper to bumper the whole way. I think you would be a lot happier relaxing at home instead of fighting traffic.

There a re a lot of nice areas closer to Downtown Atlanta that would probably fit your budget, have diversity, and offer a lot of things to do. The only drawback would be a little bit more crime, but nothing awful and scary. You could cut the distance in half by living in Dunwoody near one of the Marta stations.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:

It took me 1.5 to 2 hours each way to commute to and from Kennessaw and Sandy Springs. The drive to Duluth wasn't just delayed by the opportunity to finally fight my way up 85, but after I got off on the exit, I still had a ways to go.

If I worked in Duluth, I'd be ok with living in Duluth. Otherwise, I am not having it.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks for all the input! What would be some other nicer areas that are closer to downtown? I think I'm done with Roswell. I subscribed to the AJC and CBS46 news feeds on Facebook. Apparently, a police officer is under fire for flying the Confederate flag in is yard, and a LOT of the residents there seem to support this. Not judging anyone, but my family needs to live in an area far more progressive than that.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input! What would be some other nicer areas that are closer to downtown? I think I'm done with Roswell. I subscribed to the AJC and CBS46 news feeds on Facebook. Apparently, a police officer is under fire for flying the Confederate flag in is yard, and a LOT of the residents there seem to support this. Not judging anyone, but my family needs to live in an area far more progressive than that.

Right, because "progressive" is being so "diverse" that you shun and demean those whose beliefs differ from your own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta