U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,761,929 times

Advertisements

The super speeder law doesn't go in effect until June 1 or July 1...

Hell, I paid $108 for 61 in a 45....

Old 05-19-2009, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 44,156 times
I called the clerk and gave her my name...she told me the total and gave me a break down of the individual charges. She said if I wanted to alleviate the points, I could take a course in FL and mail the certificate with payment. The fine will remain the same yet I will have to incur the cost of the course. This was not GSP, it was a police Department in the county of Cook, town of Sparks. I also contacted an attorney who has covered cases for South GA and for a fee of $350.00 they would appear in court in an attempt to lower the charge regardless of if they could or not. I advised the attorney of my intentions.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,781,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The super speeder law doesn't go in effect until June 1 or July 1...

Hell, I paid $108 for 61 in a 45....
You must not get pulled over in the counties i do i guess. 14 over, 130$.

june or july? yeah nobody knows. the ajc article said effective immediately. i guess they dont know either!

Quote:
I called the clerk and gave her my name...she told me the total and gave me a break down of the individual charges. She said if I wanted to alleviate the points, I could take a course in FL and mail the certificate with payment. The fine will remain the same yet I will have to incur the cost of the course. This was not GSP, it was a police Department in the county of Cook, town of Sparks. I also contacted an attorney who has covered cases for South GA and for a fee of $350.00 they would appear in court in an attempt to lower the charge regardless of if they could or not. I advised the attorney of my intentions.
not fun! sparks running laser now? I guess they are copying dooly county. had to be cook county sherrif. Sparks like unadilla, perry etc cannot enforce i75 since its not part of the city. Unless they got that sorted somehow since last year.

4 years ago this area was nothing but beat up crown vics and barney fives out of a movie. How things change for $ i guess. and that construction zone there... it will never be finished. going on 7th year now.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,956,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
You must not get pulled over in the counties i do i guess. 14 over, 130$.
My new little GPS (Navigon 2000S) is kinda cool in a few respects, and one of the features I like is the fact that it seems to have the speed limits for most major roads in its database. Not only can it be configured to show a little white speed limit sign in the upper left, but you can also set it to warn you if you exceed the speed limit by a configurable margin. And it maintains two settings ... in-town, and out-of-town, so I set it for 5 over in the metro and 10 over for interstate driving.

If you go over your configured limit, it says "caution".

Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 AM

4,148 posts, read 5,761,929 times
cityrover, that was Rockdale. Went to Court and it was reduced to $80 after the court fees and ****, it went right back up to $108. I could have stayed in bed for all that!

I thought all new laws in GA start in the new fiscal year which is June 1 or July 1...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,781,076 times
Well i know that cobb, fulton, whitfield, dooly, valdosta city, etc (for those travelling on 75) are generally brutal with the fines. I usually keep it at 14 over as they hardly ever look at you for that much. i've bargained many times on the side of the road (shamelessly) to get the ticket reduced to 14 from 20 or so by telling them that i wont go to court and will just pay the fine. But they are becoming more and more reluctant to do that and would rather just write you up and let you deal with the courts/clerk.

Things are changing sadly. Good old guys are retiring and the new ones all think they are on some swat mission daily.

Drive safe.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,340 times
I have a serious situation. My speed was 79 mph in th 55 zone on I 85 (near I85- I75 intersection). I have checked my fee online and so shock to know it is at $728. Should I find an attorney to reduce the price or pay for the ticket? Any idea would help.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 60,643 times
I was in fulton's traffic court yesterday so can answer that! There were several people in there with the same size fine of $728 ... go and follow directions to do the pre-trial settlement thing and they'll knock it down to $300 + $75 for a defensive driving class = $375 total. still brutal but better than just paying it. there were 3 people in the room with that same scenario.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 AM

16,546 posts, read 20,123,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
I will play devil's advocate here; I am going to give you a break. Some people on here are really funny casting the first stone as if they have never "sinned". Even though it seems extreme, I am sure at once in our lifetime (rather the excuse was good or not) we have gone 25-30 over and NOT GOT CAUGHT. Sure you should've drivin' more carefully, but, others on here who are being this harsh are being unrealistic.

There are two types of people in the world; the CAUGHT and the UNCAUGHT.

You should probably expect a hefty ticket fine or more. Just call the number on your ticket to get your verdict to kill the suspense. Sometimes people on here can be overly opinionated, and unless you have experienced the same thing and can offer helpful advice, I would suggest keeping the harsh comments to one's self, no matter how bad the situation may be.
If those in Germany, accustomed to driving on the autobahn with no speed limits zooming around at 100-150MPH, were to wade through some of these posts, they'd be greatly amused, shocked and confused

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 AM

16,546 posts, read 20,123,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreda30238 View Post
Heavy fines in excess of 300$ per ticket and a possible 6 month suspension...Georgia is tough as hell on speeding....
Well, I guess on an upcoming visit to Georgia, in light of this and other posts, I'll limit the scenery I see there to what I can see from the windows of MARTA trains in Atlanta, and smile and tirelessly wave to police cars as I pass them by. I escape from a high stress job, then rent a car to sightsee in Georgia, stressing out every minute I'm going to get a ticket?

That doesn't sound like a vacation to me, sounds like a lot of work to me!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-04-2010 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta