U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,515 posts, read 20,072,975 times
Reputation: 22506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
i got one doing a 51 in a 25 mph zone, and another doing 81 in a 65 zone on the interstate. anyone know what my verdict will be?
You will be given any number of choices:

The Guillotine
Lethal Injection
Hanging
Dropped from a plane without a parachute
Pushed off the tallest tower in Atlanta
One foot handcuffed to the brake pedal, another foot handcuffed to the gas
pedal, and your car pushed into the Chattahoochee River

You have time to consider these options, choose thoughtfully!

 
Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,776,641 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Well, I guess on an upcoming visit to Georgia, in light of this and other posts, I'll limit the scenery I see there to what I can see from the windows of MARTA trains in Atlanta, and smile and tirelessly wave to police cars as I pass them by. I escape from a high stress job, then rent a car to sightsee in Georgia, stressing out every minute I'm going to get a ticket?

That doesn't sound like a vacation to me, sounds like a lot of work to me!
NV, CA are 100x worse than GA. But thanks for playing. Everybody knows that cobb sits on 285/75 split, doraville on 285 right next to 85, dekalb on 85 up until chamblee.

If you blow through a well known trap, whose fault is it?
 
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,515 posts, read 20,072,975 times
Reputation: 22506
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
NV, CA are 100x worse than GA. But thanks for playing. Everybody knows that cobb sits on 285/75 split, doraville on 285 right next to 85, dekalb on 85 up until chamblee.

If you blow through a well known trap, whose fault is it?
Where on earth did you hear that? In NV, UT, AZ, speed limits are 75 on the interstates, which entitles you to go 10 over without a ticket. Rurals road in NV the speed limit is 70. I've been here 14 years, no tickets yet, and I oftentimes hit 85 on the way to work on the freeways.

In CA, if you've ever driving I-15 to LA & back, sometimes keeping up with the flow is 90 or 100. Freeways around L.A., oh please!

AZ is the state where you can't be careful enough, because they have photo radar, the police are everywhere!

It's not my idea of a pleasant vacation to keep your eyes riveted to the speedometer every mile of your journey. I'll stick to MARTA and Greyhound, just to be safe when I come to GA.
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,776,641 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Where on earth did you hear that? In NV, UT, AZ, speed limits are 75 on the interstates, which entitles you to go 10 over without a ticket. Rurals road in NV the speed limit is 70. I've been here 14 years, no tickets yet, and I oftentimes hit 85 on the way to work on the freeways.

In CA, if you've ever driving I-15 to LA & back, sometimes keeping up with the flow is 90 or 100. Freeways around L.A., oh please!

AZ is the state where you can't be careful enough, because they have photo radar, the police are everywhere!

It's not my idea of a pleasant vacation to keep your eyes riveted to the speedometer every mile of your journey. I'll stick to MARTA and Greyhound, just to be safe when I come to GA.

So you are saying you are angry that people get tickets for doing double the limit and/or 30+ over the limit? Because basically that's who is whining in this thread.

mmk!
 
Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,515 posts, read 20,072,975 times
Reputation: 22506
I never said that.

I've read other speeding threads on other states I'm contemplating visiting, and I've read in some threads the police will even stop you for going 5 miles over.

When you're a tourist to another state, it's natural to get distracted seeing all the new scenery, and it's easy to lose sight of the speedometer.

Given the excessive fines I read about in other states, why should I stress myself out, on a vacation, worrying about getting a speeding ticket?

I recently traveled to OK, TX, LA and Arkansas. I read a speeding thread on Oklahoma, where there are speed traps around OKC where they'll stop you for going 3-4 miles over the speed limit. Who needs it!

So what did I do? I flew to Oklahoma City, rode their city buses, took the Greyhound bus to Tulsa, Fort Smith, Shreveport, Houston and to Dallas.
All Greyhound, city buses and light rail, where available.

Great vacation! Never, for a minute, did I have to stress out over getting a speeding ticket or a DUI. Will do the same when visiting Georgia. Screw the car! Wave to the Highway Patrol from bus windows! Let em' starve!
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,986 posts, read 3,357,862 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I never said that.

I've read other speeding threads on other states I'm contemplating visiting, and I've read in some threads the police will even stop you for going 5 miles over.
Although I don't think this will change your mind, there is a "speed trap" law in Georgia that prevents officers from issuing tickets for anything less than 10 miles over the limit. The Georgia State Patrol is exempt from this law, but all the other municipalities (i.e.: county and city) are subject to it. There are also provisions for distance from speed limit sign, downhills, etc.

I've driven in the Atlanta area for many years and haven't had a problem with speed traps. I've received one speeding ticket that was well deserved and otherwise have been left alone.


Quote:
So what did I do? I flew to Oklahoma City, rode their city buses, took the Greyhound bus to Tulsa, Fort Smith, Shreveport, Houston and to Dallas.
All Greyhound, city buses and light rail, where available.

Great vacation! Never, for a minute, did I have to stress out over getting a speeding ticket or a DUI.
There's certainly nothing wrong with that! Enjoy your trip.
 
Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,057 times
Reputation: 10
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg24 View Post
I was in fulton's traffic court yesterday so can answer that! There were several people in there with the same size fine of $728 ... go and follow directions to do the pre-trial settlement thing and they'll knock it down to $300 + $75 for a defensive driving class = $375 total. still brutal but better than just paying it. there were 3 people in the room with that same scenario.
When you say "pre-trial" you mean speak with the Atlanta solicitor? I wonder if they Lower it to 14 over and put the fine at 300 + 75 Def driving course?

Sam
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 AM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,776,641 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I never said that.

I've read other speeding threads on other states I'm contemplating visiting, and I've read in some threads the police will even stop you for going 5 miles over.
lies. not only is it legally impossible as already explained, it is improbable. we aren't VA/WVA/ND/SD/NE. In ga they dont look at you for under 15 over and usually 20 over on most roads. It doesn't mean a ticket either. It is just a check stop. In the south, check stops are common and people blow them because they dont know how to act.

Because the logic is, if a ticket is issued, it should hurt you. Aka no points = no ticket, usually. Also, there are ways for city police and even county to write a ticket that will not carry on points/record, even if it is a major violation like a 4 pt offense. I won't elaborate as if you don't know it, you shouldn't know it. Not aware of another state that has that legal possibility.

Quote:
When you're a tourist to another state, it's natural to get distracted seeing all the new scenery, and it's easy to lose sight of the speedometer.
Uhm.. you do realize you just admitted to not being in control of the vehicle. That is not a valid logic, nor an excuse. If you cannot keep track of 2 gauges, you shouldn't be driving.

Quote:
Given the excessive fines I read about in other states, why should I stress myself out, on a vacation, worrying about getting a speeding ticket?
other states.. this state... what am i missing here? nothing. moving along

Quote:
I recently traveled to OK, TX, LA and Arkansas. I read a speeding thread on Oklahoma, where there are speed traps around OKC where they'll stop you for going 3-4 miles over the speed limit. Who needs it!
its deee midwessssst/heartland. has nothing to do with here.


Quote:
So what did I do? I flew to Oklahoma City, rode their city buses, took the Greyhound bus to Tulsa, Fort Smith, Shreveport, Houston and to Dallas.
All Greyhound, city buses and light rail, where available.
hah. I am sorry.

My gf years ago took the greyhound in florida because she wanted to. It was an experience that i do not want to share into to this day. She didn't repeat it either but the details were interesting. Certainly a way to experience something different.

Quote:
Great vacation! Never, for a minute, did I have to stress out over getting a speeding ticket or a DUI. Will do the same when visiting Georgia. Screw the car! Wave to the Highway Patrol from bus windows! Let em' starve!
sounds like you have an issue with self control. im not sure many people think about a dui every time they get behind the wheel.

work on that mate. you will kick the habit!
 
Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,407 times
Reputation: 10
Yeah well in my opinion Georgia is a money hungry state! I was supposedly clocked at 90 in a 70 zone, (which I think was actually a 75 zone) but the odometer of the vehicle I was driving showed 80, and the ticket was $555.00 and to pay online they charged me a $40.00 processing fee and then 3 weeks after I paid the fine I recv'd in the mail a notice that I had 120 days to pay a $200.00 Super Speeding Fee or my license was going to be suspended! That's $795.00 that I will end up paying for a stupid speeding ticket. I could see this if I was a habitual offender, but I'm not! It was on the 4th of July, and it wasn't like I was going in and out of traffic, there was only one other car on the road where I was, I was in a rental driving back to Florida after a family reunion and just didn't realize I was speeding. However I can tell you one thing, Georgia will not get another dime from me, because I will go completely around Georgia next time I decide to drive to Tennessee! Just saying, The fines and fees in Georgia are totally Asinine!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top