U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM

34 posts, read 150,757 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I got a speeding ticket in your wonderful state. I was zapped on 400 doing 79mph in a 65mph the ticket is over $200. Itís not so much the money itís the points I am concerned about. How does you stateís traffic court work? In NJ and NY, if you go to court they may drop the points or the ticket will be reduced to a nonmoving violation but you may end-up paying a little more for the ticket. Just by showing up the prosecutor will ask that you take a plea for no points but pay a higher fine and if the officer shows up he (the officer) may even speak to the prosecutor on your behave and reduce the ticket to a nonmoving violation. ĖThis only works if you were not rude to the officer and took your ticket like a man.

My question is there a points system in your state?
If so how does it affect out of state drivers?
Should I go to court or just pay the ticket? If you stateís traffic court is like NJ and NYís I will go to court and have the ticket reduced.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
Yes we have points, 15 points in 24 months results in loss of license.

However, 14 miles and under = no points

These points have nothing to do with our insurance companies as they are unrelated.

However, it still goes on your MVR which is what your insurance pulls and sees. Some Insurance companies might not care b/c is under 15, others may.

My understanding is, tickets out of state don't count towards points in home state as they are subject to state laws and these are obviously different. As well as each state having it's own DMV.

I'd first find out if the ticket goes on your NJ MVR by calling the number on the ticket. If it doesn't I'd just pay it as you're getting no points anyway and not worth the drive.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM

722 posts, read 2,932,547 times
i got one doing a 51 in a 25 mph zone, and another doing 81 in a 65 zone on the interstate. anyone know what my verdict will be?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
i got one doing a 51 in a 25 mph zone, and another doing 81 in a 65 zone on the interstate. anyone know what my verdict will be?
You need to get the 51 / 25 mph dropped to UNDER 25 or your insurance may implode once they pull it. The 81 in 65 shouldn't be bad, but some insurance companies don't like any ticket over 75 or 80 no matter what speed zone, i.e. 80 in a 70.

Best thing to do is call your insurance company anonymously and ask.

If the big ticket happened first, and court is before the second your good. If the smaller one is first, get a continuance so you won't have it on your record for sentencing/negotiating on the first

Points per Violation
Points are issued and accumulated in a variety of ways. Below is a sampling of common offenses and the number of points they can earn you:

Reckless driving: 4 points
Unlawfully passing a school bus: 6 points
Improper passing on a hill or curve: 4 points
Speeding (miles per hour over the speed limit):
15-19 MPH: 2 points
19-24 MPH: 3 points
24-34 MPH: 4 points
34 MPH or more: 6 points
Disobedience of any traffic-control device or traffic officer: 3 points
Possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage while driving: 2 points
Failure to secure a load: 2 points
All other moving violations: 3 points
Child restraint (first offense): 1 point
Child restraint (second and subsequent offense): 2 points
Aggressive driving: 6 points (license suspension for drivers under 21)
HOV lane violation (fourth and subsequent offense): 1 point

Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 36,508 times
I got a ticket going 90 in a 65 on Christmas Eve. BOO What should I expect?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 AM

274 posts, read 744,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadiebrownie View Post

Jadie, You should "expect" that if you only have to pay a ticket and get points consider yourself lucky because for sure if you keep up your wreckless idiotic driving behavior someone or yourself will be maimed or killed. It might be a good idea for GA to take your license and put you on the bus for several years and you'll understand that a license is a "privledge and not a right"

I got a car pool violation in another state and it cost me $500.00. That was enough for me to learn.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM

642 posts, read 1,935,884 times
Quote:
You should expect or at least hope; to learn to drive like you're not the only one on the road.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:42 PM

293 posts, read 960,575 times
Quote:
I will play devil's advocate here; I am going to give you a break. Some people on here are really funny casting the first stone as if they have never "sinned". Even though it seems extreme, I am sure at once in our lifetime (rather the excuse was good or not) we have gone 25-30 over and NOT GOT CAUGHT. Sure you should've drivin' more carefully, but, others on here who are being this harsh are being unrealistic.

There are two types of people in the world; the CAUGHT and the UNCAUGHT.

You should probably expect a hefty ticket fine or more. Just call the number on your ticket to get your verdict to kill the suspense. Sometimes people on here can be overly opinionated, and unless you have experienced the same thing and can offer helpful advice, I would suggest keeping the harsh comments to one's self, no matter how bad the situation may be.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM

642 posts, read 1,935,884 times
I would be willing to make a wager that certain posters would be the first ones to show up in court pleading for the harshest sentence possible if one or more of their loved ones lives were stolen away by a reckless driver like the one who wiped out just about an entire family on I85 in Gwinnett earlier this year.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
If you are under 18 and 20 or more over, loss of license. Otherwise you are dead meat if the cop shows up in court but sometimes you luck out and they don't show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta