Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,380 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband is starting a job at CNN in two weeks, so along with our two kids (5 and 2), we're headed to Atlanta from the West Palm Beach area.

We found a 3-month apartment rental in Johns Creek, where we'll live while we look for a house to purchase. We're interested in Suwanee, due to what we've heard/read-- excellent schools, family-friendly, newer houses (less than 20 years old), parks/activities, etc.

One of my husband's colleagues mentioned that she recently relocated with her family from Suwanee to Buford because the schools in Buford "are just as great as in Suwanee, but you get so much more house for your money in Buford." She said Sugar Hill is similar. Also, while looking through Suwanee/Buford/Sugar Hill MLS listings online, I've noticed a bunch of Lawrenceville homes that look nice, but the schools seem patchy. Thoughts?

Our priorities are probably typical:

Safe area
Great schools
Friendly people
Nice house within our budget
As close to or less than 45-min commute would be ideal
Easy access to parks, playgrounds, extracurricular sports

Here are our answers to the sticky:

1. Budget? $250-300k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Off-hours commute to/from CNN (leave around 4am and come home around 2 or 3pm)
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public. Daughter will be starting kindergarten this year
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two? Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. We're white, but don't need to be in an area that's 95% white. Safety is my biggest concern. Nice, friendly neighbors are what I'd like, regardless of race. Lots of families/kids would be great, too. I'm a stay at home mom, so it'd be nice to be in an area with lots of other SAHMs.

Any help, advice, etc would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by WPBtoATL; 07-17-2016 at 10:36 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Both Suwanee and Buford are great choices with excellent schools and a very high quality of life. Can't really go wrong with either of those choices.

Lawrenceville is a quality area as well, though the schools in the Central Gwinnett cluster are not as highly-regarded as they are in other parts of the Lawrenceville area (in the Archer, Collins Hill and Mountain View clusters) and in the Suwanee and Buford areas.

Discovery High School (Lawrenceville) is a new school that opened up in 2015 anchoring a new cluster that was created when the school opened. Discovery is unproven but so far seems to be getting high marks during its very short existence as a school. Though the only drawback to Discovery and the cluster it anchors is that the area it serves was created largely out of the neighboring Berkmar and Central Gwinnett clusters, both of which have an extremely high population of students from families with transient and socioeconomically-challenged backgrounds.

Because your husband will be commuting outside of morning and evening/afternoon rush hours, all three areas in question that you are interested in (Suwanee, Buford and Lawrenceville) are inside of the 45-minute one-way commuting window to/from CNN Center in Downtown Atlanta that you desire to stay within. Though traffic will be considerably heavier (and more prone to delays) during your husband's commute home at 2-3pm in the afternoon than it will be during his commute to work at around 4am in the morning.....Though the worst afternoon rush hour traffic probably will not happen until after about 3:30-4pm.

And while all three communities in question are great places to live, your chances of finding housing that is either within and/or closest to your budget range of $300k and under will likely be much higher in Buford and Lawrenceville than it will be in Suwanee where housing prices are likely to be the highest in what has been an increasingly competitive metro Atlanta housing and real estate market as of late, especially in areas where the schools are the most highly-regarded.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Both Suwanee and Buford are great choices with excellent schools and a very high quality of life. Can't really go wrong with either of those choices.

Lawrenceville is a quality area as well, though the schools in the Central Gwinnett cluster are not as highly-regarded as they are in other parts of the Lawrenceville area (in the Archer, Collins Hill and Mountain View clusters) and in the Suwanee and Buford areas.
Thank you for the info, Born 2 Roll! I appreciate the insight so much!

Any thoughts on Sugar Hill? Is it similar to Suwanee/Buford, or should we skip it?

Also, are there any physical boundaries between the desirable and not-so-desirable parts of Lawrenceville? For instance, stay south of SoAndSo Street and you should be fine?

I've noticed that a few of the Buford/Sugar Hill and Lawrenceville high schools have substantially lower ratings on greatschools than the elementary/middle schools in the same clusters. Specifically, Lanier High and Mountain View High. Is this accurate or should I not put much faith into greatschools ratings?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPBtoATL View Post
Thank you for the info, Born 2 Roll! I appreciate the insight so much!

Any thoughts on Sugar Hill? Is it similar to Suwanee/Buford, or should we skip it?

Also, are there any physical boundaries between the desirable and not-so-desirable parts of Lawrenceville? For instance, stay south of SoAndSo Street and you should be fine?

I've noticed that a few of the Buford/Sugar Hill and Lawrenceville high schools have substantially lower ratings on greatschools than the elementary/middle schools in the same clusters. Specifically, Lanier High and Mountain View High. Is this accurate or should I not put much faith into greatschools ratings?
The boundaries are ultimately the school clusters. This also makes Sugar Hill nearly indistingushable from Buford in terms of the suburban areas. The only difference is the city of Buford has its own school system instead of Gwinnett County. It's highly regard but with smaller class sizes.

The best traditional high school in Gwinnett County Public Schools has been North Gwinnett the past year or two which overtook Brookwood (between Lawrenceville and Snellville) after years of being top. Both are still stellar. North Gwinnett Middle and Crews Middle (Brookwood's) are constantly in the top 3-5 performing middle schools in the county (and there are a LOT of middle schools). Those other schools (Lanier and MV) are also good, but not quite as good. The differences are debatable really. Any motivated student will do fine.
Peachtree Ridge is also good (last I checked they still do block scheduling). Mill Creek is good but you're getting a little far. I would take a look at Collins Hill too. Don't do Central Gwinnett and jury is still out on Discovery. It's new and they're trying a non traditional approach. Some of the area is also not quite as good.

As for differences between Suwannee and Buford, other than the school system difference (ONLY if you're in Buford city schools), there's not much difference except one's a little farther. Both areas are great. Suwanee has a nice, fairly new, town center area that replaced the older downtown and serves as a focal point for the suburban area around. Both areas will give you access to the wonderful Gwinnett County parks system.

For commute, morning won't be an issue. Most afternoons not an issue but Friday rush hour starts before 2 pm now and keeps getting earlier. Especially holiday weekends. Issue for Suwannee and Buford is 85 carries so much out of town traffic and people leaving town that it can slow down. 85 goes down from something like 7 lanes total (with collector/distributor) down to 2 lanes in 6 miles. It's become a real mess in the afternoon but that shouldn't be an issue except maybe a few times a month or maybe even less.

I'd also look at the Brookwood area. I went there and I'm still here (for now at least). I'm farther off the freeway but I get off much earlier so I won't worry about the mess up near 985. Also look into the Peach Pass for the HOT lanes. On the edges of rush hour, the lane is almost a certain 60+ and can avoid a lot of the traffic on 85 from 285 northward.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 PM

333 posts, read 387,992 times
This may seem strange, but it might be easier to actually search by school as most agent sites allow you to do. The high school clusters that serve the areas in your original post are below along with a bit of an area description. Your children are nowhere near the high school age at this time, but you'll soon find that both elementary and middle schools are part of the cluster. And, of course, the ethnic make up of the area is often reflected in the schools and most school evaluation sites can provide that information. While Gwinnett County Public Schools combine grades k - 5 into the elementary school, a separate system, Buford City Schools have both an elementary (k - 1) and an academy (grades 2 - 5).

Buford City High School
Self-contained school system primarily serving the City of Buford in the northern most corner of Gwinnett County. There are fewer parks, but this area is convenient to both Lake Lanier Islands Resort, Bogan Park (with aquatic center) and Mall of Georgia. The Mall of Georgia and the new Buford Community Center, Town Park and Theatre hosts free concerts, free movies and there's also the Tannery Row Artist Colony, a huge draw in historic downtown Buford.

Collins Hill High School
This school cluster primarily serves unincorporated Gwinnett County east of Suwanee and west of Lawrenceville. It is also convenient to Mall of Georgia, but one of the big draws is the newer Coolray Field, home to MLB Gwinnett Braves. Collins Hill Park, adjacent to the high school, features a great aquatic center while tennis classes, among other events, are held at Rock Springs Park. This area also features new and newer construction homes within your price range, multiple access routes to I-85, KROGER and PUBLIX Supermarkets and more. Lots of dining options near the Mall of Georgia too.

Lanier High School
This newer school cluster is between Buford City Schools and North Gwinnett. It is primarily a residential area that serves properties in the Buford / Sugar Hill areas, but is also very convenient to Lake Lanier Resort, Mall of Georgia, Interstate 985 and rapid transit. This area is convenient to the City of Sugar Hill where residents enjoy free concerts, free movies, food trucks and more.

North Gwinnett
This is another school cluster that serves Suwanee, Sugar Hill and smaller parts of other areas. Seven parks are in this school cluster, some City of Suwanee and others, Gwinnett County. Suwanee Town Center Park hosts free concerts, free movies, corn hole competitions, beer fests, marathons and more. KROGER, PUBLIX and WALMART are among the national chains that serve this area and it is convenient to I-85.

Peachtree Ridge
This area is adjacent to Suwanee along I-85 just south west of the Mall of Georgia and Sugarloaf Mills and just Northeast of Duluth also primarily serves unincorporated Gwinnett County. Homes are rather pricey in this desirable area, but there's a tremendous quality of life.

Please be mindful that Gwinnett County underwent a redistricting effort, so you'll want to confirm that any property that you find is in your desired school cluster.

Good luck with your home search.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
This may seem strange, but it might be easier to actually search by school as most agent sites allow you to do. The high school clusters that serve the areas in your original post are below along with a bit of an area description. Your children are nowhere near the high school age at this time, but you'll soon find that both elementary and middle schools are part of the cluster. And, of course, the ethnic make up of the area is often reflected in the schools and most school evaluation sites can provide that information. While Gwinnett County Public Schools combine grades k - 5 into the elementary school, a separate system, Buford City Schools have both an elementary (k - 1) and an academy (grades 2 - 5).

Buford City High School
Self-contained school system primarily serving the City of Buford in the northern most corner of Gwinnett County. There are fewer parks, but this area is convenient to both Lake Lanier Islands Resort, Bogan Park (with aquatic center) and Mall of Georgia. The Mall of Georgia and the new Buford Community Center, Town Park and Theatre hosts free concerts, free movies and there's also the Tannery Row Artist Colony, a huge draw in historic downtown Buford.

Collins Hill High School
This school cluster primarily serves unincorporated Gwinnett County east of Suwanee and west of Lawrenceville. It is also convenient to Mall of Georgia, but one of the big draws is the newer Coolray Field, home to MLB Gwinnett Braves. Collins Hill Park, adjacent to the high school, features a great aquatic center while tennis classes, among other events, are held at Rock Springs Park. This area also features new and newer construction homes within your price range, multiple access routes to I-85, KROGER and PUBLIX Supermarkets and more. Lots of dining options near the Mall of Georgia too.

Lanier High School
This newer school cluster is between Buford City Schools and North Gwinnett. It is primarily a residential area that serves properties in the Buford / Sugar Hill areas, but is also very convenient to Lake Lanier Resort, Mall of Georgia, Interstate 985 and rapid transit. This area is convenient to the City of Sugar Hill where residents enjoy free concerts, free movies, food trucks and more.

North Gwinnett High School
This is another school cluster that serves Suwanee, Sugar Hill and smaller parts of other areas. Seven parks are in this school cluster, some City of Suwanee and others, Gwinnett County. Suwanee Town Center Park hosts free concerts, free movies, corn hole competitions, beer fests, marathons and more. KROGER, PUBLIX and WALMART are among the national chains that serve this area and it is convenient to I-85.

Peachtree Ridge High School
This area is adjacent to Suwanee along I-85 just south west of the Mall of Georgia and Sugarloaf Mills and just Northeast of Duluth also primarily serves unincorporated Gwinnett County. Homes are rather pricey in this desirable area, but there's a tremendous quality of life.

Please be mindful that Gwinnett County underwent a redistricting effort, so you'll want to confirm that any property that you find is in your desired school cluster.

The Mountain View High School cluster should be added to this list. Similar attributes as the Collins Hill cluster.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:09 AM

333 posts, read 387,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The Mountain View High School cluster should be added to this list. Similar attributes as the Collins Hill cluster.
And I should know that since I live in that cluster. Mountain View, and for that matter, Mill Creek High Schools serve properties with Buford addresses. Both of these high schools are convenient to the Mall of Georgia, I-85, parks, superior libraries, healthcare corridors and other new and newer quality of life amenities that appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Just something to consider....

If I were you, I'd try to make sure to secure a relatively easy route to one of the main arteries into town. Your husband shouldn't have much trouble on the highways during his commute times, but red lights on surface streets can slow him down even at 4am and 2pm. So I'd be conscious of how many red lights there are between your house and the highway entrance ramp.

Also, is his schedule set in stone? As a fluid 24 hour environment, CNN is known to change schedules as changes in programming, coverage, and employee turnover dictate.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Default Look at this map

Quote:

Buford City High School

Collins Hill High School

Lanier High School

North Gwinnett

Peachtree Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
The boundaries are ultimately the school clusters. This also makes Sugar Hill nearly indistingushable from Buford in terms of the suburban areas. The only difference is the city of Buford has its own school system instead of Gwinnett County. It's highly regard but with smaller class sizes.

The best traditional high school in Gwinnett County Public Schools has been North Gwinnett the past year or two which overtook Brookwood (between Lawrenceville and Snellville) after years of being top. Both are still stellar. North Gwinnett Middle and Crews Middle (Brookwood's) are constantly in the top 3-5 performing middle schools in the county (and there are a LOT of middle schools). Those other schools (Lanier and MV) are also good, but not quite as good. The differences are debatable really. Any motivated student will do fine.
Peachtree Ridge is also good (last I checked they still do block scheduling). Mill Creek is good but you're getting a little far. I would take a look at Collins Hill too. Don't do Central Gwinnett and jury is still out on Discovery. It's new and they're trying a non traditional approach. Some of the area is also not quite as good.

As for differences between Suwannee and Buford, other than the school system difference (ONLY if you're in Buford city schools), there's not much difference except one's a little farther. Both areas are great. Suwanee has a nice, fairly new, town center area that replaced the older downtown and serves as a focal point for the suburban area around. Both areas will give you access to the wonderful Gwinnett County parks system.

For commute, morning won't be an issue. Most afternoons not an issue but Friday rush hour starts before 2 pm now and keeps getting earlier. Especially holiday weekends. Issue for Suwannee and Buford is 85 carries so much out of town traffic and people leaving town that it can slow down. 85 goes down from something like 7 lanes total (with collector/distributor) down to 2 lanes in 6 miles. It's become a real mess in the afternoon but that shouldn't be an issue except maybe a few times a month or maybe even less.

I'd also look at the Brookwood area. I went there and I'm still here (for now at least). I'm farther off the freeway but I get off much earlier so I won't worry about the mess up near 985. Also look into the Peach Pass for the HOT lanes. On the edges of rush hour, the lane is almost a certain 60+ and can avoid a lot of the traffic on 85 from 285 northward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Quote:
And I should know that since I live in that cluster. Mountain View, and for that matter, Mill Creek High Schools serve properties with Buford addresses. Both of these high schools are convenient to the Mall of Georgia, I-85, parks, superior libraries, healthcare corridors and other new and newer quality of life amenities that appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles.

OP,

Look at this map. It will be very helpful for you:

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...df?MOD=AJPERES

Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,225 times
If you want to go to Buford city school, you can also live on the hall county side of the Buford city school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta