Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,138 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Atlantic Station (next to Midtown) ... my first time living in Georgia. I'm in love with this city already, and am very active (Hiking, Events, etc.) and love the people.

I've been browsing the real estate and absolutely fell in love with a house I found.

I was showing a friend the home listing, and he pointed out that this is actually historic home in Collier Heights, a Historical African American community, and this home has in fact hosted African American leaders including Martin Luther King Jr.

Here is some info:

Collier Heights guide, moving to Atlanta | StreetAdvisor
Crime Data for Collier Heights, Atlanta, GA - Trulia

I'm concerned about how it would look for a Caucasian Male to move into an important home in a Historical African American community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,353 times
I've been struggling with this idea as well. The reality of my (likely) financial situation is that any home i'll be able to afford will be in South / Southwest / West Atlanta, or the historically impoverished, and by extension, black neighborhoods.

In general, I would say it all depends on how you come into the neighborhood. If you come in and respect the neighborhood then I think it should be okay. You know, get involved with volunteer work there, go to NPU and Civic Association meetings, share your ideas without stepping over anyone, and put work in to help the neighborhood an its people.

If you're religious, go to local churches and introduce yourself to the leaders. If you're comfortable with it, introduce yourself to your neighbors and see where the best local food is.

Generally, be nice and a part of the community, and I think it should be okay.

That's not to say that you won't run into people who will see you as a threat (I've run into it a few times before) but people are people. Some are *******s, and if you're not one of them then it shouldn't be too bad.

The ONE thing I'd say to do first, is to go to a civic association meeting (if they have one) and or the community center (again, if they have one) and just kinda chat around to get a feel for the neighborhood. I wouldn't suggest approaching it from a racial angle, but rather just to get a feel for the neighborhood, what kind of community there is, what opportunities there are to be a part of it, how you can help with the overall neighborhood vision, etc.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:45 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuinness View Post
I recently moved to Atlantic Station (next to Midtown) ... my first time living in Georgia. I'm in love with this city already, and am very active (Hiking, Events, etc.) and love the people.

I've been browsing the real estate and absolutely fell in love with a house I found.

I was showing a friend the home listing, and he pointed out that this is actually historic home in Collier Heights, a Historical African American community, and this home has in fact hosted African American leaders including Martin Luther King Jr.

Here is some info:

I'm concerned about how it would look for a Caucasian Male to move into an important home in a Historical African American community.
Well, if they've got it on the market I'm sure they'd be delighted to sell it to you. I think I know the house you are talking about and it is very nice indeed.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:01 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
It is not racially insensitive just against the norm.

If you like, don't let your friend rain on your parade. Anybody can move wherever they want regardless of the demographics.

I am not saying everyone will be delighted to see you, but does that ever happen? Some may be concerned about potential gentrification, but regardless, it is not disrespectful to move there.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
The fact that you are even asking the question proves you are a racist.

Check your white privilege, Hitler!

LOL, but seriously, if you like the house and the area, no reason not to buy it.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
If it is then we have bigger problems than I ever dreamed. Even though I know there are people out there that would hold your race against you for whatever reason, I like to think that those people are the exception - not the norm. In 2016 we should all feel welcome to buy wherever we choose, and it's not all that uncommon for white people to buy a home in South Atlanta. I say go for it if it's what you want to do.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:47 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Please do move there. Anything that furthers integration, mixing, mingling, diversity, and community that crosses racial lines, I believe that's what we all need to be doing and striving for, as our highest priority, over 'sensitivity' or other concerns. That's the only way we can progress as the only 'race' that matters- the human race. In my opinion.

I've been going to places like Cumberland Mall fairly often lately, even though I'm usually literally the only white person in the entire mall. That may sound silly, but I'm just trying to do my little part.

In my opinion, every color and ethnicity of people should be able to feel comfortable everywhere, even in historic black urban community, or in rural white redneckville. You don't pick the color of your skin. Everyone should feel welcome anywhere, period. In the ideal world that we should at least be striving for.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:25 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuinness View Post

Here is some info:

You should buy there. And it is a good sign that you are also culturally sensitive.

Remember, it is a Historic AA community in the same sense that HBCUs are historic:

The neighborhood/community was initiated due to AAs being shut out of other areas and opportunities.

Just like with HBCUs, whites have always been welcomed in Historic Collier Heights...and always will be.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:50 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times

So, uh, what exactly does racial diversity have to do with buying a house? Are you afraid of black people? If not it shouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta