Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 PM

29 posts, read 105,572 times

Advertisements

Can everyone give specifics of the 'racial tension' you are talking about in Atlanta? And the talk of materialism here, as if different than other places, never heard that before. Seems like some stereotypes have been formed on these boards and they just keep going.

Specifics please, and also compare to some other places that you believe to fit the 'racial dream'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdon View Post
Can everyone give specifics of the 'racial tension' you are talking about in Atlanta? And the talk of materialism here, as if different than other places, never heard that before. Seems like some stereotypes have been formed on these boards and they just keep going.

Specifics please, and also compare to some other places that you believe to fit the 'racial dream'

While people seem to get along here, it feels like there is an undercurrent here, like something is going to pop off. It's not quite as bad as LA-which seems like it's overdue for another riot- but it's there. It's mainly minor here, but little things like stuff at nightclubs, certain neighborhoods to keep clear from, etc.

People seem to be friendly and get along in general, but southern cities in general seem to get along better than cities up north, so I get very annoyed when folks act as if the south is a hotbed of racism. Racial problems are everywhere.

It used to bother me when I saw people self-segregate in social settings, but that is the norm everywhere. It seems to be more pronounced here because there are a lot of Black people in the metro area compared to other cities.

As for 'materialism', conspicuous consumption, and thousandaires run amok here. Lots of people my age living beyond their means trying to impress others. There are a lot of wannabes claiming to be in the Music Industry (hip-hop and R&B is big here), but a guy making beats in his mom's basement doesn't count as industry to me, so you have a lot of the foolishness associated with celebs and hangers-on here too. It's not as pronounced as it is in Miami or LA, but it's there.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
There's a big difference b/t Northern Florida and Southern Florida in they eyes of many Georgians.

As far as 'racial tension'.........by definition of this board, us native Georgians are racist so there you go! I'm tired of fighting it. I'm a racist!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
There's a big difference b/t Northern Florida and Southern Florida in they eyes of many Georgians.

There is a huge difference between North and South Florida. I basically don't even think of them as in the same state!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Usually it's the Floridians doing the bashing ...we are just bystanders

Old 02-28-2008, 01:52 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
Atlanta is boring because really all it is, is a mid-sized southern city using its tall skyscrapers, congested highways and hideous sprawl and Delta/AirTran mega-hub airport to pose as a big, sophisticated city, which it is not. The city is a big facade and poser, as are a sizeable proportion of the residents, who are not as cool as they think. If the ATL were really that big, bad place to be type of city, people wouldn't be bored here. In Montreal, NYC, London, Chicago, LA, SF etc. people don't get bored .... lol. Just some food for thought, don't get defensive.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,570 times
I lived in S. Florida for two years and was BORED, moved to Atlanta and LOVE it.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Many of the Florida bashers are ex-Florida residents that for whatever reason really didn't like living there.
There may be something to that. Interesting topic. People talk about the beach like its so great. Its ok. Two words....RED TIDE. I'm moving to Atlanta for a change of scenery. I been in one place my whole life and lately have been very interested in what else is out there.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
As a native floridian I want to say that I do love florida and the slow pace of life that we have here but I don't believe that it is heaven on earth. The only thing my city got going for itself is the beach but I do not need to be at the beach all day and night. I need to be somewhere where there are great jobs, shopping, and clubbing. That's why I find atlanta so desirable because it is still in the south but it's very fast paced and trendy. I love the fact that not only can you have a decent job but you can also have a beautiful affordable big home with a whole lot of yard space to build a pool if you miss the beach. Unless you live in orlando, miama, jacksonville or tampa bay then florida is like a graveyard just dead with nothing to do. It's a great place to raise kids though but if you want adult fun then it's time to move on.
Id have to cosign this post. Fast paced and trendy. I'm totally into that. Florida is a southern state though. And the same complaints I am reading about ATL I have sorta the same complaints where I live now. Difference is seems like people can budget their money better in GA over FL.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
In Montreal, NYC, London, Chicago, LA, SF etc. people don't get bored .... lol. Just some food for thought, don't get defensive.
In LA, you most certainly get bored, unless you are
making obscene amounts of money. I've lived there,
I can guarantee that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta