Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to Newnan from Louisville, KY. We like Summer Grove, but have a few questions about the commute into Atlanta. Can anyone answer the following questions?

1. How bad is the commute into Midtown Atlanta?

2. If you live in Summer Grove, how long does it take you to get to the interstate? It is a HUGE neighborhood. Does that create mini "traffic jams" in the morning?

3. The area/neighborhood seem pretty safe, but looks can be deceiving. How is the crime in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Summer's Grove is a great neighborhood with a ton of amenities. It was built by some of the same developers that built Peachtree City. The biggest downside is the public schools it's zoned for don't rate very highly. A lot of the families in the neighborhood send their kids to the Coweta Charter Academy or private schools such as Trinity.

The commute is probably about 35 minutes to the airport from Summer Grove and about 50mins-1hr to downtown. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the expressway.

The neighborhood is very safe, but it is only a few miles away from some pretty bad areas of downtown Newnan. This is the reason why the schools in the area don't perform as well as they should because they draw from some very impoverished areas in downtown Newnan. Around 50% of the kids are on free and reduced lunch and the schools are Title 1.

If you want a quicker commute to Atlanta, I'd look in the Northgate area of Newnan and Sharpsburg. It would probably cut 10-15 minutes off your commute and the schools are much better.

If you want the safest area with the best schools and amenities, I'd look 15 minutes to the west at Peachtree City. You'll get a smaller/ older house for the money, but it will be well worth it due to the highly ranked schools and golf cart paths.

Peachtree City, Georgia Convention & Visitor

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Old 08-03-2016, 12:24 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
When I lived on the south side, I always liked Newnan. I had business there at times, but never lived in the city. I was in Fayette County, so driving into Newnan was an easy trip. That said, a commute into Atlanta would be no fun. It's a good way into the city center, and traffic on the south side has only gotten worse.

As far as the crime goes, I never felt unsafe in Newnan. I know there are some bad areas, but it's not hard to avoid them, and there doesn't seem to be much bleed into other parts of town. I have friends who still live nearby, but they seem to prefer places like Senoia or Moreland. Looked into Fayette County at all?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:36 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Summer's Grove is a great neighborhood with a ton of amenities. It was built by some of the same developers that built Peachtree City. The biggest downside is the public schools it's zoned for don't rate very highly. A lot of the families in the neighborhood send their kids to the Coweta Charter Academy or private schools such as Trinity.

The commute is probably about 35 minutes to the airport from Summer Grove and about 50mins-1hr to downtown. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the expressway.

The neighborhood is very safe, but it is only a few miles away from some pretty bad areas of downtown Newnan. This is the reason why the schools in the area don't perform as well as they should because they draw from some very impoverished areas in downtown Newnan. Around 50% of the kids are on free and reduced lunch and the schools are Title 1.

If you want a quicker commute to Atlanta, I'd look in the Northgate area of Newnan and Sharpsburg. It would probably cut 10-15 minutes off your commute and the schools are much better.

If you want the safest area with the best schools and amenities, I'd look 15 minutes to the west at Peachtree City. You'll get a smaller/ older house for the money, but it will be well worth it due to the highly ranked schools and golf cart paths.

Peachtree City, Georgia Convention & Visitor

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

I was under the impression that Summer Grove attends good schools. And--that Coweta County Schools are good in general.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I was under the impression that Summer Grove attends good schools. And--that Coweta County Schools are good in general.
They are -- in general. But they still pale in comparison to next-door Fayette County, and PTC especially.

Just FYI -- the latest schooldigger ranks (based on the most recent state assessment tests) has Fayette ranked 8th statewide and Coweta 53rd. That's a pretty big gap. Also, Summergrove feeds into Newnan HS -- which draws from the projects in downtown Newnan and is the lowest ranked cluster in Coweta.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
I have lived in Summergrove for 13 years and never felt unsafe! There's no mini traffic jams. And I attended all of the schools it's zoned for and none of them are bad. The middle school is one of the best in the state. The high school is East Coweta, not Newnan, and it's not bad, but Northgate is better. It's a very large high school though (3,000 students) so it's hard to get 3,000+ kids up to a very competitive level. They try their best to get them there though!

Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 5,936 times
I live in Newnan and have never felt unsafe. We go into the downtown area all the time and love it. We looked in Summegrove and it seems great, especially the amenities. There is some traffic getting to the interstate in that area though. We live on the north side of Newnan, near the Arbor Springs area. I highly recommend it. We have been more than happy with the schools and can jump on 85 in a few minutes. Our daily commute to College Park at peak times is 25 minutes. If you're able to work off peak hours, I would think the commute to midtown wouldn't be awful.

We looked at PTC too but got more for our money in Newnan and I didn't like the lack of downtown or town center in PTC. Also, every day that I pass the PTC exit off I-85, I'm glad that I don't get stuck in that.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:46 PM

52 posts, read 74,390 times
Great area. Average schools. Look at Northgate school area. The two A+ communities on the south side are Peachtree City and Newnan. Nortgate school district area is in the middle of these two areas and offers great highway access.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:10 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Durn nice golf course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta