Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 20,914 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is a long post, but if you can bear with me and skim through, I'd really appreciate some advice. We moved to metro-Atlanta from Florida in June 2007. Currently, we are renting a house in Fulton Co. on the west side of Roswell where my husband has an easy 20 minute commute to his IT job in East Cobb, very close to Sandy Springs. During this time we realized that we liked East Cobb neighborhoods and the lower taxes, etc. Then we came to the idea that perhaps we should just rent one more year in East Cobb. Renting has its perks in the mobility factor, but basically we will have tossed out almost $20,000 in this high-rent Roswell home. Renting another year even at a cheaper rate in Cobb Co. (we're looking at homes $300-$400 less a month) will allow us to really get more of a feel for East Cobb life, but that's still thousands we will never see again, not to mention we'd really like to plant roots and not have to move again in a year or so. Still, we keep hearing and reading that "now is the time to buy" before the home prices start inching back up to a seller's market. We'd don't want to go over $275,000 for a home if possible-and we'd like a swim/tennis subdivision. We have choices in East Cobb at that budget, but many are older homes that need updating or the roof/systems are old and about to go, etc.

Our eyes are now panning over to East Paulding Co. in the subdivisions of The Reserve, Seven Hills and the Timberlands to name a few...all new or relatively new homes with every "dream" feature we could imagine and neighborhood amenities galore. Dallas, GA will also be close to a family member who lives just over the Alabama border and it's close to Kennesaw Mountain where more family lives. My husband has co-workers who live in Dallas, Ga and are willing to share-commute (about 50 minutes to work is what it takes them, so that's not too bad.) One of the reasons we thought of buying in East Cobb or southern Cherokee Co. was in case my husband would ever need to get another IT job---most of those are in East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta.

So fellow Georgians, what are your thoughts? Should we rent/buy in East Cobb to be really close to work at all costs with the "hot" market area, increasing home values and "good schools" which help in the re-sale market? Or, should we follow our dream and move to Dallas, GA...the place where we originally fell in love with and will be closer to a loving and active Grandpa and other family? Should we go ahead and buy in Paulding Co. now, getting more house for our money? It would add 30 minutes on to my husband's commute, which he is willing to handle, esp. with shared commute options. Then again, should we RENT first in East Paulding before buying--hoping that the market will still be somewhat of a buyer's advantage in 2009? Thanks for taking time to read all this and I appreciate any and all comments...esp. from those who live in Dallas, GA and do that type of a commute to East Cobb/Sandy Springs or those who think that East Cobb or anywhere in Cobb. Co. is the better choice. Also, any homeschoolers out there who have pros and cons of homeschooling resources in those areas. Our rental lease ends in a few months and this house is going for sale on the market in March. We are in a good position to move anywhere at this point, rent or buy. Thanks so much--for your precious time to read this and respond!

Last edited by finklink; 02-20-2008 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Post too long, reduce wording.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
A coworker of mine lives about 4 miles from Seven Hills, and says it's a highly rated place according to friends of hers that live there. That area has a lot of development going on with new restaurants, grocery stores, a library and fire department, and a new High school and middle school currently under construction.

You didn't specify where exactly where in E. Cobb your husband works, but generally speaking, she says from Seven Hills to the general E. Cobb area (Sandy Plains Road area at least) is about 45-50 minutes with "normal traffic" - please note not every day is "normal" in metro Atlanta.

My coworker says to consider the fact that due to the new school bond referendum that recently passed in Paulding, that property taxes are going up. Her kids go to Paulding High School and she does not give excellent marks to that particular school. Paulding has a funky way of issuing grades that are different from Cobb as well - in Paulding, they don't use "block schedule" like in Cobb where kids typically get 4 classes with longer class time - in Paulding they have 6 classes (shorter time per class), homework and classwork are "informal grades" that don't count toward their final grades - only tests and projects count toward their grades. Apparently a lot of parents aren't thrilled with this system, and some who have had their kids in Cobb schools in the past have migrated back into the Cobb area because of this. More can be found out at the Paulding board of education web site.

Personally, I would settle for a middle ground area like WEST Cobb. Northwest Cobb County near the Paulding line has subdivisions like Bentwater that are nice, and a new High School is under construction. The coworker (standing next to me) says to check "Black Acre Trail Road" in NW Cobb - there is a nice subdivision (not sure of the name - has tennis/swim) going up there and it's in the new High School district. Your commute to East Cobb would still be in the 40-45 minute range, and it's not THAT far from Grandpa's house on the weekends. Something to check out.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Altantagreg, thanks so much for taking time to read and post. And, for asking your co-worker some info to add as well. I will definitely take everything into considersation. Right now, the way the schools are run are not that much of an issue, and by the time my kids get to high school--whatever wrinkles in the system exists could be ironed out by that time anyway. If we move that far to Cobb Co., might as well pop over into Paulding and buy at one of the subdivisions I mentioned--and my husband can join a shared commute with co-workers. That's definitely a plus. I'm thinking it took me 6 months to find my way around East Cobb/Roswell...I guess I might as well get started on learning the "West" side of metro Atlanta and discovering some helpful backroads! Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Well, East Paulding, aka Seven Hills, Bentwater, etc. are closer to 41/75 not Dallas, i.e Dallas Highway down to Marietta Parkway....even though they have a dallas address instead of Acworth, I think Bentwater has Acworth, Seven Hills has Dallas address.

..my step-sister lost her house in seven hills, i.e. sold it back to bank, there's plenty of inventory.

Ever listen to clark howard on 750am. I'd wait a few months.

They are in the process of making 92 a 4-lane, but it's still a PITA to get from 92 to 75 (20 minutes), then you have 75 traffic that starts backing up at Wade Green.

I'm in IT so maybe your Husband has a flexible schedule, if so it's doable, but my fiance and I live on the East side of 41 for a reason....It saves us anywhere from 30-45 minutes a day in commute. She works in Buckhead (not flexible) I work downtown (flexible) but from home 2x a week.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
I think the bottom of the real estate market is nowhere near yet. Have you considered asking your landlord if they would consider negotiating a lower rent or you might move?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 PM

gt6974a: First of all, I am really sorry about your step sister losing her house. Thanks for your direct reality check on the traffic situation to expect. Hopefully, where we end up will present a few backroad options around some of the congested areas...then again EVERYBODY is looking for those too, huh? I'll have to check out the radio program you mentioned. My husband has a few choices as far as schedule, but telecommuting is still not a widespread option for the bulk of employees. Rather, that option is reserved mainly for the original crew who started the company and moved out of state or clear across GA. We keep hoping though, that one day he can work at least 1 day from home. Thanks again for your comments.

lastminutemom: Thank you as well for responding. Actually, we think our landlord will have a pretty tough time selling this house for the high, OVER appraisal, non-competitive price she's expecting. Now there are other homes up for sale in the neighborhood she will have to compete with--including more rentals if she continues to rent the home out. We've been landlords ourselves and no one wants to pay a double mortgage on an empty house. She is open to us staying on a month-to-month lease until we find a house to buy, so that's good. I like your idea of negotiating a lower rent...something to definitely try! I agree that the bottom still hasn't been reached on the market, and many of the re-sale homes are still inflated from the "boom" that we had up until mid-2006. That's why we've been turning away from the mostly late 70's/80's or even early 90's homes available in East Cobb in our price range that are lacking some of that "wow" factor you find in the newer, cheaper priced homes in Paulding Co. or West Cobb. We are aware that you have to do your homework on the builder...not every home has the quality that counts. Basically, my husband will get home at 6:15 instead of 5:20 in the evenings and I will definitely need to be in charge of dinners---that's not a bad thing because I've been wanting to improve my cooking skills. Plus, if he can commute with another co-worker, that helps rather than driving all alone every single day...and that's one more car off the road!

Thanks again everyone for responding.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finklink View Post
gt6974a: First of all, I am really sorry about your step sister losing her house. Thanks for your direct reality check on the traffic situation to expect. Hopefully, where we end up will present a few backroad options around some of the congested areas...then again EVERYBODY is looking for those too, huh? I'll have to check out the radio program you mentioned. My husband has a few choices as far as schedule, but telecommuting is still not a widespread option for the bulk of employees. Rather, that option is reserved mainly for the original crew who started the company and moved out of state or clear across GA. We keep hoping though, that one day he can work at least 1 day from home. Thanks again for your comments.
You don't have to apologize, her fault! We said it when she bought it. One of those people who bought too much house with no money down.

Back roads???? There are none, at least anymore.

Problem is, Acworth is cut off by Allatoona, 92 is your only option to get to 75 up that way.

The other options are either 41, Stilesboro, or Dallas Highway...none are easy!

good luck

If I were y'all I'd rent until at least summer then start looking. I'd probably look closer to 285

Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,844 times
Post Moving To Atlanta

Im From Pittsburgh, Pa And Im Looking To Relocate To Lithonia, Ga. I Need Information About Jobs, Best Schools, Transportation, Etc. Can Someone Give Me A Few Tips If They Know Anything About That Area.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,949 times
Hello, Finklink. I'm going to briefly address your situation in two parts. First, any route from Paulding County to I-75 will be a very, very, very congested surface road. As much as this would go against good investment advice, I would almost suggest renting in Paulding County (as your heart seems to be truly set on this) and see how much the additional commute affects life. Second, as a landlord, I would not be happy to hear that someone wanted to stay at a reduced rent. I own a bit of rental property and have done the following with tenants. 1. Let them stay at the same rent on a month to month basis. 2. Let them sign a three month lease. Remember -- the landlord has expenses to cover that have drastically gone up in the last few years. Once I had some very young tenants who were nearing the end of their lease. They had already stated that some family members were going to help them locate a home. I had told them I would be happy to rent to them at the same rate on a month to month basis at the same rate, which was a great deal for them. When the last month of the rent on the lease was paid, I told them I would be sending some papers regarding the month to month situation. The man became angry. He wanted to be able to move any given day of the month for an indefinite period. The couple moved out in five days!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,131 times
I would definitely recommend that you stay in East Cobb. East of Sandy Plains Road, there are a wide variety of homes and neighborhoods from which to choose. I live in the area and don't know of any other more convenient place to be. It's easy to get to Northpoint, downtown, Town Center, Marietta, Cumberland in 10-25 minutes or less for the most part. You can also reach grocery stores, banks, parks, etc. within about 5 minutes from almost anywhere. This is a huge quality of life issue! Some are wooed by newer homes further out, but I think the conveniences and excellent schools in East Cobb outweigh the age of the home -- which can be updated anyway. Renovating, updating, and adding on is the trend now in the most desirable areas. For under $275,000 you can still get a 4 bedroom home on at least a partial basement, good yard, swim/tennis community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta