Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
considering this is just down the road from the civil rights museum, i think knowing this makes the history even more worth remembering. if the first people to record music incited the lynching of leo frank, that's probably worth noting because audio recordings themselves were fairly new at the time, and multiplied a message in a way that had never been available before.

they literally used their privilege to create racist propaganda. that could really be a key untold part of the puzzle in the story of civil rights in atlanta and could really be insightful. similarly, the newspaper in forsyth county has destroyed or hidden all the copies of the newspapers from three days in 1908 when basically a pogram was seiged against all the black residents, property was destroyed and every black person fled the county. it's said that the newspaper may have been key in inciting chaos. i don't think we need to cover these things up. we need to know so we don't do it again. if germany was trying to cover up its bad history we would rightly call them out... but when we do it it's okay to forget?
Good idea to put something in the Civil Rights Museum. Although I'm not sure Okeh came down here to create racist propaganda, Carson's song certainly added to the already volatile atmosphere. There were already plenty of big dogs lined up against Frank, as well as many of the hoi polloi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 06:49 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good idea to put something in the Civil Rights Museum. Although I'm not sure Okeh came down here to create racist propaganda, Carson's song certainly added to the already volatile atmosphere. There were already plenty of big dogs lined up against Frank, as well as many of the hoi polloi.
Maybe they didn't consider it propaganda, but rather the mainstream of white southern belief at the time and they knew they could sell it to other white southerners.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
considering this is just down the road from the civil rights museum, i think knowing this makes the history even more worth remembering. if the first people to record music incited the lynching of leo frank, that's probably worth noting because audio recordings themselves were fairly new at the time, and multiplied a message in a way that had never been available before.

they literally used their privilege to create racist propaganda. that could really be a key untold part of the puzzle in the story of civil rights in atlanta and could really be insightful. similarly, the newspaper in forsyth county has destroyed or hidden all the copies of the newspapers from three days in 1908 when basically a pogram was seiged against all the black residents, property was destroyed and every black person fled the county. it's said that the newspaper may have been key in inciting chaos. i don't think we need to cover these things up. we need to know so we don't do it again. if germany was trying to cover up its bad history we would rightly call them out... but when we do it it's okay to forget?
This is an angle on this that I hadn't considered, and is a very good point. At the very least, the folks at the civil rights museum should get to weigh in before anything happens. And if the building is to be destroyed, they should get to see if there's any artifacts in or on the building that they are interested in keeping as part of their collection. This location is without question a piece of civil rights history for the reasons Bryant states.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
New renderings emerge for Margaritaville Resort

Quote:
The controversial resort proposal is expected to climb 21 stories and feature upwards of 200 “vacation ownership units”—urban timeshares—an 18th floor pool deck and spa, and a two-story, 14,000-square-foot Margaritaville restaurant.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-d...sau-demolition

Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
It looks so generic.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

Thanks. I find it interesting that they are calling the living spaces "vacation ownership units." Atlanta does not strike me as a "vacation" hot spot, but, hey, I'm certainly not an expert!

Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
And some business person has now decided to tap into the cross section of civil-rights tourists who want to buy a Margaritaville condo. Shrewd.

(In seriousness, I think the building is just fine. If someone wants to build something that will generate millions in property taxes and some foot traffic downtown and, vitally, give tourists the impression that downtown is a safe, contiguous area from Peachtree over to Centennial, have at it. Maybe people can airbnb them and it'll become a de-facto cheap tacky hotel? That would be perfect!)
I believe that the timeshare units at the Margaritaville building will operate a little differently than typical, since it’s a Wyndham resort. Wyndham timeshares allow buyers to stay at different resorts each time. Still a bad purchase, in my opinion. I was offered two free nights at any Wyndham in exchange for sitting through a two hour presentation a couple years back, when I was in New Orleans. I used the two free nights in San Francisco, and the building was really nice. I don’t think it makes sense to pay/sign away a large sum of money up front for future vacation stays though.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM

180 posts, read 158,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

I'm glad these are only the first renderings. I imagine there will be a few revisions to the tower in addition to incorporating, "county music's birthplace" into the design.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
I'm glad these are only the first renderings. I imagine there will be a few revisions to the tower in addition to incorporating, "county music's birthplace" into the design.
Country music was recorded elsewhere first. It’s a myth that the Nassau Street building is it’s birthplace. Eck Robertson recorded the first country song, in New York City of all places. No one is calling NYC the birthplace of country, because the style of music wasn’t born in recording studios. The people referring to the Nassau Street building as it’s birthplace just want to make it sound more important than it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eck_Robertson

Old 05-10-2019, 07:27 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Default Margaritaville Downtown

Historic building to be Wasted Away in Margaritaville

Sure, new plans in downtown Atlanta for a Parrothead Paradise topped with 200-some “vacation ownership units” might sound a bit tacky and touristy. But our city center can use all the development, foot traffic and eateries it can muster.

Hello, Wyndham Destinations and Margaritaville Vacation Club, a concept that is the result of Jimmy Buffett’s fans growing up and amassing some money. It would be 21 stories of tie-dyed luxury across from Centennial Olympic Park, within sight of the CNN Center and in the shadow of the monstrous Ferris wheel.

The only downside would be the project would bulldoze a couple of 100-year-old buildings, including one where the first country music hit was said to have been recorded. The connection would be apropos because Buffett started out as a country music crooner and then moved on to the lucrative niche of boozy beach ballads.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/torpy...obf4OnS2iBW3L/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta