U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:57 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, Emory itself is probably exempt from property or sales taxes.

Would the city have to provide municipal services to them or would that come from DeKalb county or Emory itself?

As I read the article in the OP, the neighborhoods around Emory may or may not be included.
The city would have to provide services, although Emory has its own police, so the Atlanta police coverage would not be as much of a factor as for residential areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Emory does not have to pay sales / use taxes on anything education related they buy. However that is dependant on what jurisdiction the vendor is in, not Emory. So that will not change.

However, anything sold on Emory property is still subject to sales tax (which will now go to CoA and it's TSPLOST initiatives).

https://www.finance.emory.edu/home/a...les%20Tax.html

Old 08-19-2016, 12:26 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The city would have to provide services, although Emory has its own police, so the Atlanta police coverage would not be as much of a factor as for residential areas.
I guess the city would become responsible for providing fire and rescue services? Would they negotiate some kind of reimbursement fee with Emory?

What about street maintenance, sanitation, water, etc.?

I'm okay with Emory becoming part of COA but it needs to be revenue neutral.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:10 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
I guess the city would become responsible for providing fire and rescue services? Would they negotiate some kind of reimbursement fee with Emory?

What about street maintenance, sanitation, water, etc.?

I'm okay with Emory becoming part of COA but it needs to be revenue neutral.
These are excellent questions for your city council rep to answer for you. Emory probably gets a contractor to pick up it's dumpsters.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
I wonder if the city council has even looked at these questions. It would be nice if we had some hearings for the taxpayers to weigh in.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:49 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
I wonder if the city council has even looked at these questions. It would be nice if we had some hearings for the taxpayers to weigh in.
Email your district rep and the at large candidates, you elect them you have every right to let them know your opinion.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:57 PM

991 posts, read 515,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Also, I'd take CoA governance over unincorporated DeKalb 100 out of 100 times, especially if I already lived in Atlanta-in-DeKalb.
Abso-fricking-lutely, I think the one hangup is a senior property tax exemption difference

Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I think Woodland Hills and Lavista Park might also be seeking annexation in the future (especially since Lavista Hills didn't even go that far west).
LaVista Park residents are strongly against annexation into Atlanta. That was clear in the community meetings held a couple of years ago, and I doubt that has changed. They practically tore the head off of their RA President when he sent out a letter endorsing annexation.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 PM

12,904 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LaVista Park residents are strongly against annexation into Atlanta. That was clear in the community meetings held a couple of years ago, and I doubt that has changed. They practically tore the head off of their RA President when he sent out a letter endorsing annexation.
Why are they so against? Along with Druid Hills, I see LaVista Park as a natural extension of CoA.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Why are they so against? Along with Druid Hills, I see LaVista Park as a natural extension of CoA.
They see no benefit to annexation.
The city and everyone else did a lousy job of selling the idea to them.
Their distrust for the city has grown over the years due to some ****-poor zoning approvals made in the immediate area (Yet another two self storage behemoths in inappropriate areas, totaling four in a half mile stretch; supporting a proposal to raze seventeen SFHs adjacent to LP in favor of a 90 unit townhouse development).
Residents grew weary and more confused by the process and ultimately blew it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or