U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,709,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think he's trying to say that all governments have some level of "corruption" involved in their activities, and Atlanta isn't any better or worse than any other. It's larger, therefore might have more for that reason...
Again, just because other areas are corrupt, doesn't excuse Atlanta being corrupt. Size has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
but I'm not sure why you seem so down on this area joining Atlanta - there are benefits to being in the city limits of a major city.
What benefits would they get over unincorporated Dekalb? They'd get the same things, but be paying more. Actually, given the 911-answering fight between Atlanta and Dekalb, they are really getting less.
Quote:
Does this annexation affect you negatively in some way?
Yes, it brings it closer to me and gives them momentum. My area already fought off annexation from another city, and it's been suggested that Atlanta could also move to take my area since the previous efforts failed. Unincorporated Dekalb already gives me everything, and without the extra garbage ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,980,282 times
I believe Druid Hills High is on the Emory campus so not clear how the annexation would not affect schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
The article says that the Emory proposal does not include Dekalb schools, but I imagine schools would be affected--if nothing else, I would expect some affluent neigborhoods (and possibly their schools) would leave with Emory. Also, I wonder if Fernbank and the CDC might bolt as well?

Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 PM

20,947 posts, read 32,927,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I believe Druid Hills High is on the Emory campus so not clear how the annexation would not affect schools.
It's DCSS property but it does abut the campus.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,423,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
lol, you seem so intent on bad mouthing City of Atlanta and finding any way to rationalize Emory/CDC wanting to join City of Atlanta that doesn't involve them liking City of Atlanta or what it brings to the table.
Exactly

Old 08-20-2016, 09:39 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,490,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What benefits would they get over unincorporated Dekalb?
Clifton Corridor transit.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:44 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,346,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
That would be fine. DeKalb is part of MARTA, so there would be no jurisdictional problems - the only issue would be the NIMBYs along that mile-long stretch.

- skbl17
But then the COA's tax would be paying for rail that isn't in the city...

Old 08-21-2016, 12:25 AM

1,043 posts, read 800,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
But then the COA's tax would be paying for rail that isn't in the city...
Looking at MARTA's plans, there are no proposed stations in the 0.4-mile sliver of unincorporated DeKalb aside from the Sage Hill station - which can be included in a Druid Hills-less annexation plan anyway (see my post from the previous page for an idea on how that could look). I think MARTA would be fine as long as the stations are on CoA land, which they all would be if the Emory annexation plan goes through and the line is truncated to cut the stations beyond Emory University.

Anyway, MARTA was already planning to set aside some of the tax money for the CC project in the hopes that DeKalb-beyond-Atlanta would join up, regardless of Emory's decision. At least now, with Emory wishing to join up, the money won't just sit there - the CC can actually be built without having to wait for DeKalb County to pass a tax increase (something that isn't guaranteed).

- skbl17

Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 AM
bu2

8,979 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's DCSS property but it does abut the campus.
Right.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:32 AM
bu2

8,979 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Clifton Corridor transit.
DeKalb had other priorities this year, but still intends to pass the transit tax in the future and is part of MARTA.

I consider that light rail a real negative (Emory does want it). The more it can be delayed, the better. More time gives an opportunity to get HRT instead, which would provide better service and not make already congested streets even worse as LRT would. And the status quo is better than LRT in our area streets.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,500,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
DeKalb had other priorities this year, but still intends to pass the transit tax in the future and is part of MARTA.

I consider that light rail a real negative (Emory does want it). The more it can be delayed, the better. More time gives an opportunity to get HRT instead, which would provide better service and not make already congested streets even worse as LRT would. And the status quo is better than LRT in our area streets.
HRT is never going to happen there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or