Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But way over there is not on the Beltline. Not even close. Beltline transit is supposed to be on the Beltline, not wherever in the city it's cheapest to build something.
We have to get over this idea that the BeltLine is just a ring around the core. The transit will connect with other, crosstown routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 03:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
But then again I think they should nix transit on the Beltline altogether, which I know is a very unpopular idea.
Why?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think they should do both, a streetcar line on memorial and keep it on the Beltline...

The Memorial Jog will remove a significant aspect of the value of Beltline transit to those living south of Memorial.
Agreed on both counts. I live a few blocks from a proposed streetcar stop at the Beltline & Kirkwood Ave. A direct route up through Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown would be a quick trip to Inman Park or O4W. Having to walk all the way down to Memorial Drive, then sit in a streetcar stuck in traffic for a mile, would be pointless, because it would be faster to just ride a bicycle. A Memorial Drive streetcar would be great, but in addition to the Beltline loop, not as a part of it.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:42 PM

298 posts, read 373,696 times
Nothing in this article is implying they're not going to use the alternate route down Memorial Drive. From the quotes at the end of the article:

Quote:
“What’s important ... is that no matter how that’s redeveloped, that it is [done so] in a manner that we know we can bring transit through in the future through a tunnel, if that’s the route that’s selected,” Owens said.
Quote:
Another route involves no tunnel under the CSX yard at all, but instead takes BeltLine transit around the trainyard through several neighborhoods.
Quote:
Owens said all routes are still on the table and that ABI does not favor one over the other.
From what I understand the route under Hulsey Yard is not realistic, in that CSX is adamantly against it and it would be extremely, extremely expensive as opposed to the legitimate alternatives that would offer MARTA access (King-Memorial) and go down an emerging Memorial Drive corridor.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:27 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
But then again I think they should nix transit on the Beltline altogether, which I know is a very unpopular idea.
I am okay with the Beltline being a bike/pedestrian trail at this point. Look at the Highline in New York, it doesn't have mass transit and it is very successful. Likewise with the Beltline in Paris, France.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:28 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Why?
The streetcar is a mess, and they should just add a bike trail to the Beltline and declare victory.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
The streetcar is a mess, and they should just add a bike trail to the Beltline and declare victory.
Because of operational issues on a short initial section of a city-wide streetcar system (which will be the key to future intra-city MARTA expansion), you want them to give up?

That's about as shortsighted of a viewpoint as I've ever heard, not to mention the whole concept of the Beltline is based on a transit loop. Good luck getting funding to complete the loop for only a "bike trail."

Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with the Beltline being a bike/pedestrian trail at this point. Look at the Highline in New York, it doesn't have mass transit and it is very successful. Likewise with the Beltline in Paris, France.
I'm guessing you live near the Eastside Trail and couldn't care less about the completion of the rest of the system.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:47 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
From what I understand the route under Hulsey Yard is not realistic, in that CSX is adamantly against it and it would be extremely, extremely expensive as opposed to the legitimate alternatives that would offer MARTA access (King-Memorial) and go down an emerging Memorial Drive corridor.
Your understanding is mistaken, I'm afraid—the studies are currently underway that will determine which route is most realistic, and no decisions have been made in that regard. No one knows how expensive it would be yet because there wasn't even a finalized design for the tunnel until this past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Highline is a couple of blocks away from subway stations in one of this country's most comprehensive rail transportation systems. The Beltline is... not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That's about as shortsighted of a viewpoint as I've ever heard, not to mention the whole concept of the Beltline is based on a transit loop. Good luck getting funding to complete the loop for only a "bike trail."
No kidding. Light rail on the Beltline is an entirely different beast than the current downtown streetcar. While the vehicles are the same, the right of way makes all the difference. If you've never heard Ryan Gravel talk about why he proposed the Beltline as a rail transit system in the first place, you should really take the time to find a video or read his book.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:49 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
I think it's great to have streetcar on Memorial Dr and whatever, and I'm not saying they shouldn't have that. The only thing I didn't like was that that was being considered the Beltline transit.

Also, there's at least a possibility of a future MARTA infill station at Krog St right on the Beltline, and so it would be a shame if that didn't directly connect to the Beltline transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta