Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,208,578 times

Advertisements

You're likely right fourthwarden and it can definitely wait. In reality, I do not want to see such a yuge portion of funding that could go to another line/project go just to this. But I would love to see it in some not so long term plans and I am curious about the ramifications for FTA funds and this:

Quote:
Last week, Atlanta BeltLine Inc. unveiled a plan for a tunnel under the yard. The tunnel was part of a mixed-use development from North American Properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 07:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I thought Krog St MARTA was going to happen.
A Krog station would improve my life greatly. But at this point it is nothing more than one idea in a stack of wish lists full of competing ideas.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I thought Krog St MARTA was going to happen. If it does, the jog down Memorial would take longer to get to a MARTA station as it spends so much time outside of the ROW. W/O the Beltline going under Hulsey, the Krog St station seems silly.

BTW, it's not just PCM, it's all the great stuff along the Eastside Beltline including Inman Park, Piedmont Park and also having direct access to Lindbergh/Armour/Clifton Corridor. Anyone wanting to reach those destinations living south of I-20 (that have a choice) will almost certainly choose not to take Beltline transit to get there. I know I wouldn't. The beauty of the Beltline is the ROW
If the Krog Infill Station is built, how will it have direct access to LRT/Streetcar route (which at this point in will be in a tunnel)? This makes the infill station and tunnel even more expensive.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If the Krog Infill Station is built, how will it have direct access to LRT/Streetcar route (which at this point in will be in a tunnel)? This makes the infill station and tunnel even more expensive.
Lots of stations are in tunnels. Direct access is provided by stairs, escalators, and elevators.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Lots of stations are in tunnels. Direct access is provided by stairs, escalators, and elevators.
The question is how do we connect the infill station (90' in air) to a station in a tunnel (25' underground) without adding many more 0's to the price tag?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,078,433 times
Quote:
The question is how do we connect the infill station (90' in air) to a station in a tunnel (25' underground) without adding many more 0's to the price tag?
I feel like too many people that support the Krog infill don't look past the gap in the map.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I feel like too many people that support the Krog infill don't look past the gap in the map.
They will certainly have to 'mind the gap' if the infill is built on a curve.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM
JPD

Quote:
I don't keep up with the price of elevators and escalators, so I can't answer that accurately. The height of the escalator didn't seem to be a prohibitive expense for Peachtree Center. I don't think there will be a Krog station in my lifetime, but the elevator isn't going to be the straw that breaks this camel's back.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:22 AM

376 posts, read 328,070 times
Quote:
I don't keep up with the price of elevators and escalators, so I can't answer that accurately. The height of the escalator didn't seem to be a prohibitive expense for Peachtree Center. I don't think there will be a Krog station in my lifetime, but the elevator isn't going to be the straw that breaks this camel's back.
The problem is probably not the cost of the elevator but rather the fact that said elevator would have to pass through an active rail yard to reach the station (which is the whole reason for the tunnel in the first place).

Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
With no land for a station head house, where would the elevator, escalator, etc. equipment and landings be installed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta