Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I do not live in Atlanta, this is a question for people who do live there.
I have been seeing Atlanta polls on cities with the "best places to live" and "quality of life" websites that show Atlanta degrading the appeal of Atlanta.

From what I gather, via Internet, Atlanta grew up during a time when the suburbs were the desired place to live which we know now created longer commutes. Now that the urban inter city is the most desired place to live accross America, Atlanta can't get people back to the city to live because the inter city section of Atlanta is not appealing anymore. So this forces people to live in the suburban areas and creates a huge amount of traffic and as a result, lowers the quality of life.

For you guys that live there, is this the case? Is there a surge of people wanting to move back to the inter city of Atlanta?

Thanks
In the perfect situation I would love very near a Marta station, but it has to be on the westline. Wife doesnt like hood areas and wont deal so we have to look in the burbs. I dont think Downtown has an appeal issue, more of an issue of pricing and they price many people out. Thats ok though. I think the mini city TOA approach is the best thing for Atlanta. Businesses need to be on board. What NCR is doing is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 10:28 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Thank You, I forgive them So the urban area is making a come back in Atlanta?
Yea...Midtown has a lot. South downtown needs some work though.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 PM

290 posts, read 312,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Sounds about right to me chrharris. Actually, I'd love to live in the city, but when you have kids that need good schools, dogs, etc. the city really isn't an option. Maybe when the kids are gone we'll move back into the city, but that city would not be Atlanta. I'm in the Atlanta burbs now and on my way out, going back to Chicago. I don't know if there is a surge leaving, but we certainly are...

And yeah as bryantm3 mentioned, if you have anything negative to say about Atlanta on this forum, it's somehow your fault and not the glorious city of Atlanta!

This guy said his bags were packed six months go and he is still on the way out. Why do people have to put down one place because they supposely love another. We get it you love Chicago and hate Atlanta, no offense but you should be happy where you live but again when are you leaving? Are you trapped in Atlanta?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
There are 40+ skyscrapers being built in our urban core. We just got two new stadiums. Our inner city rents and home prices are skyrocketing. Neighborhoods in and around midtown/downtown are so hot homes stay on the market for days if not hours. Millennials and young professionals are flocking to Atlanta, and companies are relocating there. We have new food halls, a beltline similar to NYC Highline, and Bon appetit magazine just named an Atlanta restaurant the best new restaurant in America. Where on God's green earth are you getting your ideas about Atlanta becoming undesirable?
I would argue the BeltLine is much bigger than the HighLine. The BeltLine is a multimodal transportation corridor, linking 45 neighborhoods and crosstown transit.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would argue the BeltLine is much bigger than the HighLine. The BeltLine is a multimodal transportation corridor, linking 45 neighborhoods and crosstown transit.
Similar in that it is a repurposing of an unused rail track that would have been demolished and that it has become a major tourist draw. Not physically similar in length...new York's is also elevated off the ground.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Not barely escaping. The gov vetoed it so we didn't barely escape it. Barely escaping would mean he passed it into law then went back and changed it
We did barely escape it. That's an apt description. You sure are being ornery today! It's almost the weekend, so feel better!

Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
We did barely escape it. That's an apt description. You sure are being ornery today! It's almost the weekend, so feel better!
Right. The fact that it was legislation authored by conservative Republican lawmakers and made it to the conservative Republican governor's desk but didn't get signed surely counts as barely escaping a similar fate.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I feel great!

Old 08-31-2016, 04:31 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,074 times
Quote:
That was rude!
You have to understand. Tony loves Atlanta. You dissed his mistress.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:55 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
I was quoting what I read, that's why I turned to you guys to question what I'm reading, the people that live there.
I don't know where you live, but if I started a thread there saying "Why are people in (city) so racist?" and then just say "I read on the internet that your city is really racist", do you think the normal response would be "Oh, we're all very nice people!" Hardly. It would likely be more like, "How dare you come in here and accuse us of such a thing."

Before you post, read your title. I'm pretty sure you knew 100% that it would incite some more acrimonious responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Some people on this thread are rude. The op had a legitimate question. THey heard some misinformation and wanted to get clarification. Instead of being a jerk one should just answer the question or not respond at all especially with off topic nonsense about what another state is doing.
I would suggest that the thread, and especially the title, be worded much better. See above.

Quote:
So, if I said I was looking for NYC in warm weather and being that, from you comments, Atlanta's urban area is growing, what zip code should I search to live? And I don't want to have to own a car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Their post wasn't negative or aggressive at all. Some of the responses on the other hand were. Instead of getting defensive the proper response would have been to educate the op as others did without being negative.
Disagree. The thread title was very leading.

Quote:
Thank You, so if I were to say I don't want to commute to downtown, I want to chuck the car and only need transit to get out, not in, and live in the middle of everything, what zip code would that be in Atlanta?
Just keep in mind that if you only want to use the train, you will be very limited in your destinations, missing much of Atlanta's neighborhoods. If you want to use a bus or uber/taxi, you could get to more.

Stick to the center of downtown or midtown if you want that life. 30303, 30308 and 30309.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta