Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 01:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,199,127 times

Advertisements

Great insight as always B2R, really appreciate the time you put into your responses. I'm on the same page, any chance for transit in Cobb is not going to be with MARTA. At least not anytime soon. It seems to me like there are a lot of pieces coming together to make GRTA rail a thing.

Arjay, always ahead of the curve. You just don't get no respect around here, I tells ya. I know Uber has been pushing to be a serious solution for transit in some cities. Makes sense to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Arjay, always ahead of the curve. You just don't get no respect around here, I tells ya. I know Uber has been pushing to be a serious solution for transit in some cities. Makes sense to some degree.
Thanks, tiki!

I can't help but think that these Uber-type fleets are part of the solution. They give you that last mile connectivity as well as flexibility and on-demand service.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,689,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sure, yuk it up at old Arjay's expense. What could some old codger possibly know?

I would respectfully point out that it was moi who suggested several years ago that we could benefit from an Uber-like fleet of private taxis.

Of course I was hooted down and told that my idea was dumb and unworkable.

But what are they saying now?
1 Uber or 1 taxi is still a low-occupancy vehicle stuck in traffic. I mean honestly, how many times have people used UberPool and they actually had someone else ride with them?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks, tiki!

I can't help but think that these Uber-type fleets are part of the solution. They give you that last mile connectivity as well as flexibility and on-demand service.
Florida Suburb Turns to Uber for Public Transit: Best #Cityreads of the Week - CityLab

Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 PM

I think there is a strong chance that an Uber like service will be the primary transportation mode of the future. It must makes too much sense for most people and solves a lot of problems.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,799,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
1 Uber or 1 taxi is still a low-occupancy vehicle stuck in traffic. I mean honestly, how many times have people used UberPool and they actually had someone else ride with them?
It originally was rare, but now the majority of my Pools have another rider.

I think small busses / large vans operating with a similar technology could be part of a next step. I think we will start to see a blurring of the line between transit personal vehicles and will see a return of private companies to the transit business. I welcome it.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Uber-style taxis are not a perfect solution but they extend the reach of public transit and provide a flexibility that mass transit simply cannot provide.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Uber-style taxis are not a perfect solution but they extend the reach of public transit and provide a flexibility that mass transit simply cannot provide.
Isn't an Uber style taxi, just a taxi?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Well, at least in my mind, Taxi is a bad word. I would imagine Uber style would include being able to track your ride on a map and having upfront pricing, no off the meter BS.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Isn't an Uber style taxi, just a taxi?
No, not exactly.

What I proposed was something more akin to Uber than traditional taxicabs.

For example, my proposal called for quintupling the size of the fleet; the placement of more cabs in suburbia; the requirement that all taxis be modern, fuel-efficient, low emission vehicles, including electric or hybrid vehicles; increasing the number of taxi stands (or dispatch centers) and locating them closer to residential areas; implementing high driver training, safety and maintenance standards (with so many people out of work, I suggested there are tons of people who'd like to drive a cab); establishing a fare system that eliminates the guesswork about costs; setting up a system for online booking and payment, with mobile phone apps; establishing more HOV lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta