U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:25 PM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Exactly. You vote every time you pay taxes and continue to live there. You also continue to vote in antitransit politicians. You are complicit in the continued resistance to fix our city.
^^^This is exactly why I avoid spending any of my money up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:56 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
^^^This is exactly why I avoid spending any of my money up there.
Same here. Not that I have a lot of reasons to go up there. But I did have a couple day sessions up there last year and deliberately drove over into the city limits to eat lunch.

But if they are serious about embracing the rest of the city & transit I look forward to riding up there for trips in the future.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times
On Tuesday Cobb County will take a step towards this goal
New Cobb County bus routes connect millennials to Cumberland,... | www.ajc.com

Old 09-02-2016, 02:27 PM

5,388 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Without high-quality high-capacity transit, Cobb County's population will continue to grow at a high clip but the people that come to the county in droves will be only people with lower incomes who are drawn to the lower housing prices that will be depressed due to the lack of high-quality transit connectivity in an era (in the 21st Century) where transit connectivity will be of increasingly critical importance in large major metro regions like Atlanta.

The people with higher incomes (high-income Millennials and Gen-Zers) will forgo transit-deficient areas like Cobb and move to other parts of the Atlanta metro area with increased transit connectivity in an era when an increasingly heavily emphasis will be placed on transit connectivity in large major metro regions like Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
This statement is overly general and just plain wrong.

Cobb has the excellent school system (just one draw), families are drawn to the county, many affluent ones.
Cobb may have an excellent school system, but the lack of high-quality, high-capacity transit connectivity will put the county at an increasing disadvantage (particularly when it comes to business recruitment) in a 21st Century marketplace where transit connectivity continues to grow in importance.

Before the announcement that the Braves were moving to Cumberland, the Cumberland area and Cobb County were already experiencing difficulty in recruiting new business to an area without rail transit connectivity and an area with a history and reputation of being resistant to rail transit connectivity in what has been one of the fastest-growing large major metro regions on the planet at times over the last 25 years.

Before the announcement of the construction of the new Braves stadium there, Cumberland was visibly struggling to compete with satellite business districts like Buckhead and Perimeter who were having a much easier time recruiting new business and development to their respective areas because of MARTA HRT (Heavy Rail Transit) access (...most notably Buckhead's and Perimeter's direct HRT access to the world's busiest airport at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, as well as those areas' direct HRT access to the urban amenities of Central (Downtown/Midtown) Atlanta).

Gwinnett County is a nearby prime example of a historically transit-averse heavily-populated suburban/post-suburban community (with an excellent school system) that appears to be struggling to attract and retain business because of the increasingly glaring severe lack of transit connectivity.

(Gwinnett: a heavily-populated and severely-congested suburban/post-suburban/urban county of 900,000 people without high-capacity transit service in the second decade of the 21st Century...see NCR's move out of the transit-deficient Gwinnett County to a transit-connected area in Midtown Atlanta.)

Like Cobb, Gwinnett also offers an excellent suburban school system. But in addition to having problems attracting and retaining business due to the lack of transit connectivity, Gwinnett has also experienced challenges in continuing to attract affluent families at the high rates that it used to in the past as evidenced by massive demographic changes where less-affluent families are moving into the county in growing numbers because of the relatively abundant housing stock available there at times in recent years.

The signs that Cobb County itself needs to be concerned of a possible demographic swing towards a population dominated by less-affluent residents are evident as the poverty rate in the county has exploded from the low single-digits to more than 13% while parts of the county have poverty rates over 20%.

(...Cobb County's largest city of Marietta in particular has a poverty rate of over 21%...a poverty rate that exceeds DeKalb County's 20.4% poverty rate and that is similar to Clayton County's 22.9% poverty rate.)

Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley also offers a prime example of an affluent outer-suburban area that can transition into a post-suburban urban area with increasingly high poverty rates due to continued development and urbanization.

Even with an excellent school system, an increasingly urbanized Cobb County is not immune to the mounting demographic challenges that continue to affect other likewise once-suburban/exurban communities in Metro Atlanta and in other large major metro areas around the nation.

It is a changing world where transit connectivity is of increasing importance to people with higher incomes. If Cobb County wants to continue to remain competitive and relevant in this changing world, Cobb County is going to have to change with the rest of world and embrace transit on a high level like much of the rest of North America and the planet.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:41 PM

5,945 posts, read 2,915,822 times
I moved to the county earlier this year because I like the county. And I like the condo. And I could actually afford it, as opposed to what was available in Buckhead.

Doesn't mean that I at all like or approve of Cobb's social conservative history, or its lack of MARTA. I don't. At all. I was more than fully aware of it, and it was a negative factor weighed.

And again, to be fair, my work is currently in Fulton County (Alpharetta), and the train doesn't even go anywhere near there, either. So there could be a subway station in my bedroom in Cobb tomorrow, and I could still hardly make any valuable use of it.

By the time we move into the new office in Midtown (in 2018 or 19), and I could at leadt actually make use of transit if it were available, there could be a lot of pro-transit conversation circulating amongst leadership in Cobb. Which it's looking like there will be.

So, in conclusion, kiss my ass kthx. Some of us don't live in a perfect world where we get to have everything exactly the way we want, or live any location we might want.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:06 PM

992 posts, read 517,914 times
Some people tend to forget that young people eventually become middle aged people , with a whole different set of priorities.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 PM
bu2

8,980 posts, read 5,682,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
why?
Because it was a mostly rural county at the time with far fewer people. They would have been paying sales tax for decades for something they didn't need at that point.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 PM
bu2

8,980 posts, read 5,682,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
This statement is overly general and just plain wrong.

Cobb has the excellent school system (just one draw), families are drawn to the county, many affluent ones.
And Vinings is pretty easy to commute from. Other parts of the county are more difficult.

There is really a LOT of vacant and underutilized land in Cobb. Maybe there aren't vast tracts for major subdivisions, but there is tons of available land for small developments. They will just have to have the sort of development that is happening now in city of Atlanta and DeKalb County.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,484,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Because it was a mostly rural county at the time with far fewer people. They would have been paying sales tax for decades for something they didn't need at that point.
Lack of vision (or not seeing the obvious future) is not an excuse. Cobb already had roughly 150,000 residents in 1965 and its population would triple within 25 years. It was already obvious by the 1970s that the county was blowing up yet they went full speed ahead on a roads/sprawl-only model.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,384,003 times
I can't read the article, but I took this more of a shout out to the gold dome than MARTA. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think Cobb is anywhere close to coming around to MARTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or