U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:06 PM

4,966 posts, read 4,007,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
SunTrust Park Transportation Update: https://youtu.be/-OfdgiqgGTU

They left out so much stuff in this video lol. They mentioned moving the start time up to 7:30pm like people are going to leave home at 7:15pm and be seated at the stadium at 7:30. People are still going to be in the 6pm traffic because they want to be able to park, find their seats and get something to eat by 7:30pm.

The new access points. It might work easier after the game but before the game those same people will still have to get there using 285 and 75.

At least at Turner Field you had the option to get off at GA State MARTA Station and walk or to take the bus from West End.
HAHAHAHA that video is a joke. First of all, the 285/41/Spring/Circle 75 intersections (it might as well be one) are going to show their antiquity from Day One. At the very least, they should have made the 285/41 a DDI, not just build a bunch of shiny new traffic lights around there.

Second, they keep talking about how most of the Braves fans had to come and leave northbound. First of all, there are already transit lines that go north and northeast, leaving out only the northwest direction. And their claim that Turner Field only has two freeway access points is laughably absurd, not to mention a clear apples-and-oranges miscomparison in terms of radius from the ballpark. Just looking on Google maps, I can easily spot at least 2.5 access points on I-20 (counting a half-diamond as half an access point) and 2.5 on the Connector. Yeah, 5 > 2.

Third, more parking at SunTrust Park?? WTF kind of math is this?? Every source I've read says that parking capacity will be significantly less than that of Turner Field. But yeah, maybe I can get that Chipper Jones bobblehead that I so desperately crave.

Fourth, they really cherry-picked the traffic map. They should take a look at it about a half hour before opening pitch, not right when it's delivered. Even on a low-traffic night, fans still have to drive to the parking spot and walk to the stadium--which will be quite a hike for some. And at 7:00 PM on Tues/Wed/Thu, 285 coming from Sandy Springs--which is exactly where the biggest chunk of traffic will be coming from--is red all the way past the New Northside exit. Hmm, New Northside--that's where the Braves planners want to have a lot of the gameday traffic get off! And here some people thought Sandy Springs was just griping about this. Oh and did I mention that 6000 additional vehicles are going to converge on this area every single game night?

Ridesharing will be good. But the bike valets--HAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaone View Post
All the red on the traffic app is going to make me so happy
According to Google maps (which is where I got the above information), 285 west traffic doesn't ease up until around 7 on Mon/Fri and 7:30 on Tue/Wed/Thu. I'm guessing that weeknight games will back those times up by about half an hour (which would be a LOT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Schools are directly collated to household income. There will be a negative feedback loop with many suburban schools if these demographic trends keep up.
Yup. There really needs to be a way for richer municipalities to give more support to poorer school systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,391,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Yup. There really needs to be a way for richer municipalities to give more support to poorer school systems.
Is that really the issue with schools in Atlanta? I was under the impression APS was well funded.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 AM

4,966 posts, read 4,007,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Is that really the issue with schools in Atlanta? I was under the impression APS was well funded.
Actually I wasn't thinking about APS when I wrote that. A greatly overlooked problem with poverty is rural poverty. Some rural municipalities without much of an economy really struggle to provide basic services to their citizens.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:29 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,302,439 times
Join us for Transit Talk: Cobb

Old 09-07-2016, 09:01 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Now that Tim Lee lost his base, he is going after the pro-transit voters.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 AM

5,952 posts, read 2,929,814 times
Cobb needs to join MARTA already. There's your "transit talk" in one sentence.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:57 AM

9,931 posts, read 6,929,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
That is impressive. Cobb & Braves leaders having a public meeting with AdvanceATL and MARTA leaders. I may yet eat my hat.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
I have always said let Cobb be Cobb. When they get ready for mass transit they will likely jump on it with both feet.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:38 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,391,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have always said let Cobb be Cobb. When they get ready for mass transit they will likely jump on it with both feet.
I'm with you. I would like to see it happen in some sort of capacity but it's no skin off my back until then. I know talk about the metro is totally legit in this forum, but if that map showcasing the commuting patterns of Cobb residents you posted earlier is accurate, this has little effect on what really matters, the CoA.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:51 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They want to reap the benefits of being part of the 9th largest metro in the US, with little participation in being a 'good neighbor' or playing well with other jurisdictions.
Honestly, CCT is a joke and they get meager funding. If Cobb is serious they will need to dramatically increase funding or start the process of joining MARTA, creating an agreement similar to Clayton County where 1/2 the 1% collected is put in an escrow for future dedicated-guideway transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or