U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
So you gonna leave out the Perimeter, airport, Buckhead, Etc lol
No, of course not. The stats I posted show a lot of folks heading to Buckhead, Perimeter, etc.

However, I was responding to the comment about commuters going to Midtown/downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 01:09 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I do find it odd that you state you want to reduce traffic / change driving patterns, yet also say you don't care if Cobb, North Fulton, or Gwinnett expand MARTA. Transit access and the ability to not drive to carry on life are deeply intertwined in a metro of our scale.
A better way of phrasing that would have been, the only aspect of Cobb getting MARTA I care about is its impact on removing cars from Atlanta's roads. I could care less what happens inside the county lines.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What sort of transit would you recommend for getting folks from Cobb to to Alpharetta and back?
A MARTA regional express commuter bus system might accomplish that, that travels in dedicated bus lanes along 75,285,400. With different park&ride access points/transit stations, for people to catch different buses that go different shuttle routes, with one route that loops between Cumberland and Alpharetta, stopping at a few major office park areas.

Or in the long, long term, maybe there will be heavy rail out to Alpharetta, and rail between Perimeter and Cumberland, and rail along I-75 corridor in Cobb.

The first main thing, though, is establish a meaningful quality transit link between the Cumberland area (especially incl. the Braves), and the main 'trunk' line of the MARTA system in Midtown, where people can transfer and go north to Buckhead and south to Downtown and the airport. Or, ideally, if it's heavy rail, then they would not have to transfer to continue south.

Then extend that line out past Marietta,

Then the second most important line would be a link between Cumberland and Perimeter.

Then at the same time, commuter rail could also serve the county, and maybe eventually the MARTA Blue and Green lines could serve South Cobb.

Basically all the stuff fourthwarden laid out in his map, would all be great.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
I have a lot of co-worker friends that live in subdivisions in East Cobb, and they've said they want something where they can park at a bus station somewhere in the vicinity of 120 @ Johnson Ferry, and board an express shuttle bus that runs in its own dedicated lane along Johnson Ferry/Abernathy, with signal priority, with minimal stops (maybe just at a couple of other park&ride stations at major roads), and drops off at Sandy Springs MARTA station, then they can go wherever from there.

I think that would be amazing.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I calculate up to 18.8% of Cobb commuters drive to areas that are CURRENTLY served by MARTA rail (Airport, Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter)
Yep.

It's not all all unreasonable to envision that if more mass transit was available you might capture 10-20% of that 18%.

Granted, that's still only a few percentage points of overall commuting but it's something.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
I can't wait to take the MARTA train up to Spring Road, steal a sweet drumset from Atlanta Pro Percussion, and ride home on the train with it.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep.

It's not all all unreasonable to envision that if more mass transit was available you might capture 10-20% of that 18%.

Granted, that's still only a few percentage points of overall commuting but it's something.
And you're still forgetting out-flow, plus people taking MARTA for things other than commuters. You're greatly limiting your ridership scope by only looking at commuters FROM Cobb.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
And you're still forgetting out-flow, plus people taking MARTA for things other than commuters. You're greatly limiting your ridership scope by only looking at commuters FROM Cobb.
You've probably got 7-10% of COA residents commuting out to Cobb.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
A better way of phrasing that would have been, the only aspect of Cobb getting MARTA I care about is its impact on removing cars from Atlanta's roads. I could care less what happens inside the county lines.
So you kind of care...

Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Having ridden CCT buses and witnessed the horrible level of service that is accepted by the local leaders because mostly those that ride local CCT routes are not campaign donors; I do care to see more, better service to a major suburban county home to more than 700K people and hundreds of thousands of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or