U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:14 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like this teacher may not be getting a fair portrayal in the media.

I understand the problems with role playing games but it doesn't seem like she was a bad person or had evil intentions.

Quote:
Last week Cobb County fifth-grade teacher Hope Largent hoped to make a class on slavery engaging when she used a teacher-created simulation of the Underground Railroad.

Georgia standards require fifth graders learn about how state’s rights and slavery fueled the growing tensions between the north and south. “It is very hard to bring that down to a 10-year-old’s level,” said Largent, a Georgia Southern graduate in her second year at Cheatham Hill Elementary School. “I wanted to find something interactive, engaging and memorable.”

That 25-minute classroom activity found on a teacher site proved to be highly memorable — landing Largent in newspapers worldwide and under attack for her “racist slavery game.”

More...Cobb teacher under siege for class “slavery game” shares her side | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:30 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times
Reminds me of my kids 5th grade teacher here in Roswell kids had to bring a memory box to school.
They were to pretend they were taken to Japanese detention (prison) camps and they would never see their parents again. They had to pack in a shoebox items that represented their parents and life.
My kid handed a piece of paper in which she explained she wouldn't be packing a memory box.
She would have rather died than be taken prisoner and separated from her family. She got an A .

They also had to dress in costume of their heritage and the whole 5th grade simulated coming to America through Ellis Island. They were inspected by "doctors" deemed healthy or deseased, their "money was "taken" from them, separated from their families, they even tried to bribe some officials.....recreating what they had learned about Immigration. The parents brought in food from their country to share. They had to walk around the school a few times and wait in the immigration line to enter...it was a fantastic learning experience for everyone.

It's a hard lesson to learn. Life ain't easy. The sooner these kids learn history, the good and bad the better.

Every time the Holocaust is taught in school my kid gets asked questions. (Like she was there) She wasn't nor were her grandparents or great grandparents, but as a Jew it's a part of her history she learned about early in life.
I suppose if the game consisted of hiding from the Nazi's and pretending whether or not to roll the dice for the play ovens, or play showers I"d raise an eyebrow.
History.....Something which can never be forgotten or erased.
In 5th grade she also brought home an exercise where they learned the Pillars of Islam...and about Christianity, and Judaism,
We are also in Cobb County.

Last edited by Gilah G.; 09-01-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 08:10 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
They also had to dress in costume of their heritage and the whole 5th grade simulated coming to America through Ellis Island. They were inspected by "doctors" deemed healthy or deseased, their "money was "taken" from them, separated from their families, they even tried to bribe some officials.....recreating what they had learned about Immigration. The parents brought in food from their country to share. They had to walk around the school a few times and wait in the immigration line to enter...it was a fantastic learning experience for everyone.
Yes, role playing can be an incredibly powerful learning tool. It's one thing to discuss walking a mile in someone else's shoes, but quite another to actually do it.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds to me like this teacher may not be getting a fair portrayal in the media.

I understand the problems with role playing games but it doesn't seem like she was a bad person or had evil intentions.
1. Intentions don't matter. Only actions do.

2. I hope this teacher is formally reprimanded but not fired. Hopefully she can learn from this mistake and not do anything like it again.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:43 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,396,901 times
Wow--it sounds like an amazing activity. Much like the excellent Ellis Island activity Gilah mentioned. The Civil War--and slavery in particular--are very difficult subjects for even adults to grapple with. It sounds like one little girl was upset by the subject matter more than the game itself.

Ms. Largent sounds like an excellent teacher--glad to see her school is rallying around her. We need passionate teachers who are willing to try new methods. I hope she's not so rattled by this that she keeps her lesson plans boring and typical and safe from now on. THAT would be tragic.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
my first instinct was that they were singling out the black students, like several white teachers have gotten in trouble for doing, which would be grounds for firing. it looks like that's not the case. one other example in the article stuck out to me:

Quote:
A Holocaust simulation activity at a Florida Middle School upset students, parents and community members by selecting children to be exposed to “persecution.” Without announcing or explaining the specific purpose of the activity in advance, eighth-grade students whose last names started with the letters L-Z were given yellow five-pointed stars and designated the “persecuted”, while their peers received “privileged” treatment. Throughout the activity the star-wearing students were subjected to enforced rules which ranged from forcing them to stand at the back of the class or the end of long lunch lines, to barring them from using some bathrooms and preventing them from using school drinking fountains. At the end of the day, many children were distressed, and one child even went home crying, telling his parents, “The only thing I found out today is that I don’t want to be Jewish.”
i think people try to protect their children too much. our children need to be raised to understand that there are problems in the world, and that it is their responsibility to step up and make a difference. and sometimes that's a hard lesson to learn.

lying to children and telling them that history is over, there are no problems and america is always right... that's not sparing their feelings. it's just brainwashing them. kids need to understand that this country and the world are royally f*cked up so they can rise to the challenge of fixing them.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,418,796 times
The black female student and her parents were offended, so intent does not mean much. It all boils down to the fact that there are other creative ways to doing this without having them experience being enslaved.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,396,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think people try to protect their children too much. our children need to be raised to understand that there are problems in the world, and that it is their responsibility to step up and make a difference. and sometimes that's a hard lesson to learn.

lying to children and telling them that history is over, there are no problems and america is always right... that's not sparing their feelings. it's just brainwashing them. kids need to understand that this country and the world are royally f*cked up so they can rise to the challenge of fixing them.
Yes yes yes. Projects and classroom activities such as these are exactly what our kids should be doing. How much more relevant is history's atrocities when you've "lived" them for a few minutes in a safe setting and they still leave a powerful impact? Fifth graders and eighth graders are old enough to learn that people do really crappy things and its up to each of us recognize it and do something about it.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 AM

27,715 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Apparently the student said it wasn't the game that offended her, but the existence of slavery.

It's a tough and sensitive topic to cover, but it seems like she got an idea of just how horrible the institution of slavery was. Mission accomplished.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:27 AM

991 posts, read 515,894 times
Today's overly PC society at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta