Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 52,660 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single mother of 2 looking to relocate to the Atlanta area. I currently live about 25minutes outside Cleveland, Ohio. I am a full time college student with an associates degree and I work part time. I am currently trying to get a job through Georgia State Corrections and if I do get the job I have to relocate. I would appreciate some opinions on safe neighborhoods and area with good elementary school systems. For the time being I am looking to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for no more than 600 a month, but I need to have easy access to downtown. I have a friend who currently lives in decatur off of Memorial Dr. His apartment is within walking distance of a police station, the apartments are beautiful, but yet there is a lot of crime. I stayed there for 5 days and in that time his car got stolen and my rental car got broke into. That is the type of neighborhood I need to avoid. Somebody please help me I need to be moved by July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,351 times
You are going to have your work cut out for you in order to find a 2 bedroom in a safe neighborhood with good schools for under $600.

The only advice I could give to you right now is this: Do not, DO NOT, Do Not rent anything in Clayton County. The school district is in danger of losing their accreditation on September 1.

If you can up your housing budget to 700 or even 750 I can point you to a few places that have good schools and are relatively safe.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 PM

I wil be in atlanta for a couple days next month to take my corrections exam, but i do not know where to even begin a search. I will only move for good if I get the job, so I would probably be able to up the rent to 700 or 750. Do you know the location in Decatur, off of Memorial, close to highway by the police station. It was bad and Im so nervous Ill make a wrong choice. Please help

Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Do you have a good situation now where you are? A good job -- safe place to live and good schools for your kids?

If so, you might want to consider staying where you are. Your price range will make it difficult to find everything you want.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM

I have a good situation only when it comes to neighborhoods. There is virtually no crime and your kids can run outside and play while your in your home cleaning. The reason for me moving is the lack of available jobs. I attend college and currently hold an associates degree in criminal justice and here you cannot even find an entry level position. I am a receptionist and all we get paid is 7.50/hr here and that is after 2years starting at 6.00/hr and my position is through our Metropolitan Housing Authority (so much for holding a government position). Another reason for me moving is to have my son closer to his Dad, who lives in Decatur (a bad side though). My sons father used to live here, but relocated there and my son is not used to not seeing his father everyday. I just do not want to make the mistake he did and pick a bad location. Money for me would be tight for awhile, but would ease up once I get settled and in my job.

Last edited by ms.dcjones79; 02-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: left some info out

Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,946 times
Cherokee county in north Ga. is a real nice place. 575 is easy access to 75 and downtown. Low crime, (we live in Canton) my wife and I have lived here since '88 and really like it. Apartments and condos are available, 600 for a two bedroom may be optimistic.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM

124 posts, read 270,705 times
If there is anywhere else you can go, please don't go to Atlanta. I am a single mom on my way out of Atlanta. It is not a good place to be or raise children. There is no where to move for $600 and be safe. I was spending $1100 a month for a two bedroom and it still wasn't that great. I have lived in Atlanta for 15 years. After I had children, I see it in a different light. Please try and find somewhere else. I'm looking into Denver, wanna come! If you just have to Alpharetta is a good area, but you can't do it for $600. Check AJC.com. Sometimes you can do a little better with private owners. Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,344 times
$600 for a two bedroom in a good area with good schools is going to be really hard. I am in Cherokee county which is at about 1/2 away from Decatur (with no traffic) and you would be looking at close to $1,000 a month for a two bedroom.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM

19 posts, read 87,743 times
I myself also want to move to atlanta and find a cheap apartment and a good job!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
You'll be hard pressed to find a 1BR in the $700 range even in the suburbs here - around $800+ or so for a 2BR, and that will put you miles outside the city, most likely without any public transit if you want it, and at least a 40+ minute commute (each way) to the city. Based on the criteria I can't think of a place to recommend and I've been here over 20 years.

As far as jobs go, there are far nicer places to raise a child like Asheville, Chattanooga, or even Knoxville, that put you closer to "Dad" without having to resort to Atlanta's problems. For some Atlanta is an ok fit, but on that fixed of a budget, single, and with a kid, it's an uphill choice. The jobs are here, but there are surely job available in the other cities mentioned (all of which have better local economies than the Northern larger cities right now). No offense to Dad, but he chose to move here. You pick a place that's affordable and safe for you and your kid and let Dad drive to YOU to visit his son regularly.

Good luck in whatever choice you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta