Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:06 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
As for "upper west side," I have never heard that term for that part of town. I don't think people identify it as such.
You sure about that?

Atlanta Developers Coin 'Upper Westside' with Major Project
Developer Plans $200M Community On Atlanta’s Upper West Side
Facebook: Atlanta's Upper West Side
Atlanta's upper west side a real neighborhood

This is at the corner of Collier and Defoor Hills Rd.

Think you might have lost this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:26 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The odd bit isn't the neighborhood, but the choice of train...

We never had Santa Fe trains in Atlanta (the red, gold, and silver there). The closest they got was Oakdale, Louisiana, and I don't even think that was the streamline trains at all.

SORRY I'M NITPICKING, but I wouldn't be a nerd about this stuff if I didn't

Old 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Bolton Road/ Moores Mill = Northwest Atlanta or simple Bolton to this Native Atlantan.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Bolton Road/ Moores Mill = Northwest Atlanta or simple Bolton to this Native Atlantan.
Northwest Atlanta encompasses pretty much everything north of I-20. I guess people of the area have decided they want to define themselves a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The odd bit isn't the neighborhood, but the choice of train...

We never had Santa Fe trains in Atlanta (the red, gold, and silver there). The closest they got was Oakdale, Louisiana, and I don't even think that was the streamline trains at all.

SORRY I'M NITPICKING, but I wouldn't be a nerd about this stuff if I didn't
That is indeed a nitpick!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:07 PM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Once again, postal addresses are not = to municipal political boundaries. The Post Office assigns that stuff as it relates to them.

As for "upper west side," I have never heard that term for that part of town. I don't think people identify it as such.

Yes. I hope it does not catch on...

Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I just thought 'Upper West Side' was kind of a tongue-in-cheek, half-joking kind of name for the general NW part of the city. But I also kinda like it. It's funny because, you know, Manhattan urban vs. Atlanta suburban. Ha.

Obviously, across the river/county line is not in the city limits, but I do think the name kind of applies to Vinings/Cumberland because of the hilly, overlook nature.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I guess Underwood Hills isn't good enough as a name.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
You sure about that?

Atlanta Developers Coin 'Upper Westside' with Major Project
Developer Plans $200M Community On Atlanta’s Upper West Side
Facebook: Atlanta's Upper West Side
Atlanta's upper west side a real neighborhood

This is at the corner of Collier and Defoor Hills Rd.
the links prove my point. It's some new marketing ploy. That's it. Of course developers like those kind of names, but if we go by that, I live basically in Vinings.

Come on. It's stupid and I see know point in entertaining their marketing. Atlanta's neighborhoods and areas have long been named or defined.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I guess Underwood Hills isn't good enough as a name.
I think Upper Westside encompasses some of Underwood Hills, some of Hills Park, some of Bolton, and I don't know what else. While Underwood Hills officially comes over to Chattahoochee at Hills (at least as far as Google Maps is concerned) and thus not the area of these developments, I have never once heard anyone call this area by that name. And while I technically live in Bolton, no one has ever had a clue what I was talking about when I said that. I always had to base where I was based on how well people knew Nuevo Laredo. There are also tiny pockets called Fernleaf, Hanover West, Westover Plantation, etc, but these are all just little pockets. None of them, including Underwood, have any sort of identity like Little Five or Virginia Highland have. They're just small neighborhoods.

But, oddly enough, if I say Upper Westside, as it is apparently being reborn, people pick up pretty quickly what area of town it is.

Quote:
the links prove my point. It's some new marketing ploy. That's it. Of course developers like those kind of names, but if we go by that, I live basically in Vinings.

Come on. It's stupid and I see know point in entertaining their marketing. Atlanta's neighborhoods and areas have long been named or defined.
Yet, until now, no one really could define this area. It was called "Bolton", "West Buckhead", "That area up near the river but not West Midtown", "that place with the Race Trac", "that area where Buckhead Beef used to be". I had never heard anyone use Underwood Hills as a locator, and if I ever said "Bolton" to someone over the 11 years I lived here, not a single person knew what I was talking about. Not one in 11 years. When I try to describe where I live, they ask "So, you mean Vinings? Smyrna? Buckhead?"

Who cares if it's marketing driving it? Atlantic Station wasn't a name of an area until it was built up, but now it's a specific neighborhood. West Midtown was never called that until it started to develop into a destination. As areas redevelop, they tend to come up with monikers for their area. The area from Collier at the railroad track to Chattahoochee, and then Marietta up to Bolton is seeing significant changes, and a rebranding of the area is not out of the question.

Oh well. In all honestly, I don't really care if you like it or not. It likely doesn't affect you. But, it appears to be happening. And those of us who actually live in the area are quite excited about it.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Should this be in the NYC forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta