Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Moving past the name of the area...another article about this development.

New details released on West Midtown development

Quote:
The $25 million development will include amenities such as co-working spaces, a speciality grocer, a 6,000 square foot national salon concept, family-friendly restaurants, fitness and yoga centers, major coffee brands, juice shops, dental and medical offices, a bank, an early learning academy and daycare centers, according to a news release from the developer, Eden Rock Real Estate Partners.

The 9.5 acre development will include some single-family homes, a warehouse complex and a church. The 51,000 square foot warehouse will be converted to a modern industrial-style loft with open-air breezeways and outdoor dining. The 3,500 square foot church will likely be repurposed as a restaurant or café. It will include new buildings that will have 45,000 square foot for additional retail and service space. The development will also have 19 luxury town homes.
I don't know where they plan on fitting all of that, but that seems like a lot of new amenities. By the time this, Moore's Mill, and the Quarter are completed, that's three new shopping/dining/recreational developments in less than 3/4 mile. And I have no doubt that the old Buckhead Beef location will see a new life as well. It could make for a great little row of restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Moving past the name of the area...another article about this development.

New details released on West Midtown development

I don't know where they plan on fitting all of that, but that seems like a lot of new amenities. By the time this, Moore's Mill, and the Quarter are completed, that's three new shopping/dining/recreational developments in less than 3/4 mile. And I have no doubt that the old Buckhead Beef location will see a new life as well. It could make for a great little row of restaurants.
MARTA better start planning on some sort of high-capacity transit to this area.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA better start planning on some sort of high-capacity transit to this area.
There are a few bus lines there, but certainly no rail. I'd love to see the green line get extended up this way, but that's a pipe dream.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:25 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
If the Green Line ever does get extended, it's probably more likely to follow Proctor Creek, south of the train yards. Not Marietta Blvd to the north, where there's no clear available cheap RoW. It will very likely be a stop in the West Highlands (probably at Johnson Rd), and then probably 285 @ Bolton, or in that vicinity.

Which, I would personally love, at my location. Would be great for Cobb County. Finally something right at the doorstep. And it would also be a closer bus and park&ride connection for the Marietta Blvd corridor.

If you look at the leftward curvature of the MARTA tracks at the end of Bankhead station, it would support this theory:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7663.../data=!3m1!1e3

And also if you look at the available space to build the line there, south of the quarry, along the north side of the creek.

I would really like to see the Green Line built along Proctor Creek.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
There are a few bus lines there, but certainly no rail. I'd love to see the green line get extended up this way, but that's a pipe dream.
Could even be ART or BRT.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If the Green Line ever does get extended, it's probably more likely to follow Proctor Creek, south of the train yards. Not Marietta Blvd to the north, where there's no clear available cheap RoW. It will very likely be a stop in the West Highlands (probably at Johnson Rd), and then probably 285 @ Bolton, or in that vicinity.

Which, I would personally love, at my location. Would be great for Cobb County. Finally something right at the doorstep. And it would also be a closer bus and park&ride connection for the Marietta Blvd corridor.

If you look at the leftward curvature of the MARTA tracks at the end of Bankhead station, it would support this theory:

And also if you look at the available space to build the line there, south of the quarry, along the north side of the creek.

Wonder if the rail line could use the high tension power line ROW?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:03 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Wonder if the rail line could use the high tension power line ROW?
That's exactly what I was just wondering.

After Bankhead, the line would curve left with Proctor Creek, then run in/next to/under that power line corridor, to a stop at Johnson Rd. Then perhaps it could follow that corridor up to Bolton Rd @ Riverside. Or, curve west and then run along the creek again, west towards 285. I'd prefer the latter.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Oddly enough, some of the original plans had a line running up Marietta Blvd./Atlanta Rd.MAP MAP 2

Other plans do indeed head towards Proctor Creek and what used to be Perry Homes. MAP

Indeed, I think the more recent plans included going up Proctor Creek. But, that side is WAY less dense than the side northeast of the rail yard. If it were me, I'd continue it, elevated, straight north until it hits Marietta Blvd. and put a station called "Westside Resevoir Park/Howell Station" just north of the power sub-station. Keep it elevated to cross Marietta Street and the rail yard, then drop it underground just north of the rails, and put a station on the southeast corner of Marietta/Elaine (maybe call it "Strip Club"). This station would serve the Beltline, M-West, and apartments/businesses down Huff. Maybe a station at Chattahoochee and Marietta to capture all the businesses nearby. A station around Coronet/Marietta to capture all the new development there (the subject of this thread), and then heading on up into Cobb, maybe terminating at SunTrust Park. It might have to come out of the ground before hitting the river, though.

Just a wish.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Again, Native Atlantans simply call it Bolton regardless of what newcomers and developers want to call it. I am also aware that EVERYTHING northwest of the Five Points intersection downtown (corner of Peachtree/ Marietta Street/ Decatur Street/ and Edgewood for the uninformed) has a little NW on its street sign (Five Points is the point of origin for our "modified" street grid LOL, everything southwest of Five Points has an SW, to the southeast SE,,,,and so on) So northwest has a large radius including some of Atlanta's finest and most down on their heels communities (Bankhead on the Westside to the Buckhead Mansion district (West of Peachtree Road...from Peachtree Battle Avenue up Hambersham past West Paces Ferry.)
Still, when I think "Northwest Atlanta" I do not think first of the communities with NW after their street names, I think of the communities of Bolton and Riverside on the FAR northwestern edge of the City of Atlanta. Also to my "Atlanta Native Ears" names like "West Midtown and "West Buckhead" sound silly and made-up, like a developer trying too hard. It is kind of like how every subdivision and apartment complex in southeast Cobb County from Mableton to Smyrna has "Vinings" in the title, no matter if they are MILES from the actual Vinings area just inside 285. In my opinion, it is also forced to call south of Five Points downtown "Government Walk" by the way and everything south of downtown "SouthTowne" like a recent Atlanta tourist brochure I saw did.
Thank you and a rep for you sir! The westside when I was growing up was basically Bankhead to Campbellton Rd. With MLK being the dividing line between NW and SW which are 2 totally different things themselves if you want to get technical. Heck a lot of folks don't even consider Bolton Rd to be the westside. Then all the sudden they made Howell Mill into the westside, which was a shock to me because that area was just considered Howell Mill or perhaps even the Northside because it shared more in common culturally with areas like Buckhead than it did areas that were really on the Westside. Now they've started this upper westside nonsense recently and I'm even more flabbergasted. That mural that was posted a few pages back literally just went up a few months ago. I remember driving by and seeing them painting it. I laughed my @ss off then and I still am now. That is not the upper westside. And Vinnings and ITP Cobb are not the westside either. All this stuff is beyond silly and people like me who grew up in NW are just having a field day with all these new people renaming areas and redrawing boundary lines, then have the nerve to scoff and look at us like we don't know what we're talking about.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Thank you and a rep for you sir! The westside when I was growing up was basically Bankhead to Campbellton Rd. With MLK being the dividing line between NW and SW which are 2 totally different things themselves if you want to get technical. Heck a lot of folks don't even consider Bolton Rd to be the westside. Then all the sudden they made Howell Mill into the westside, which was a shock to me because that area was just considered Howell Mill or perhaps even the Northside because it shared more in common culturally with areas like Buckhead than it did areas that were really on the Westside. Now they've started this upper westside nonsense recently and I'm even more flabbergasted. That mural that was posted a few pages back literally just went up a few months ago. I remember driving by and seeing them painting it. I laughed my @ss off then and I still am now. That is not the upper westside. And Vinnings and ITP Cobb are not the westside either. All this stuff is beyond silly and people like me who grew up in NW are just having a field day with all these new people renaming areas and redrawing boundary lines, then have the nerve to scoff and look at us like we don't know what we're talking about.
This is very true. I recall the the ramblings from earlier this year from a couple of posters going back and forth with me on what is "SE Atlanta". Most native Atlantans (I'm not a native of Atlanta but rather Birmingham but I personally know a number of natives) just call anything east of downtown and/or the Connector as simply "East Atlanta". The tomfoolery of all these created neighborhood names is getting out of hand and pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta