Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM

53 posts, read 44,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving from NYC to Atl within the next month or so. Initially I considered Houston, Texas, but considering how hot and humid it is out there I decided to not move there, of course there are other reason why I decided to not move to Houston. As far as safety is concerned, what would be the safer areas in Atl, me being from a major city I know that no matter where you live crime will happen, but there are safer parts of every major city. I heard good things about sandy springs. My budget for right now is from $1,300. I don't have to live within the Metro area, I lived in San Francisco and New York and know what traffic from hell is like. I will definitely have a car to commute to work. I also have a daughter who is ten years old, so are there any social activities for children, she is home-schooled so I am not too concerned about what schools are too near/far or below/above average. As far as jobs are concerned I do have Administrative experience as well as experience working within the Nightlife/Food and Industry. Thank you to all in advance for your help and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Are you trying to live in the city or suburbs?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
What city will you be working in?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:29 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Sandy Springs would be a good launching point. There are some pockets along Roswell Road between Sandy Springs and Roswell with some sketchy apartment complexes but your budget should be able to get you into something fairly nice in Sandy Springs or in Perimeter Center/Dunwoody. It's most advised to everyone to have a job first but if you're dead set on moving and have money to last awhile. The SS/PC area right there at 285 and 400 has a lot of jobs. North on 400 there are a lot of jobs in the Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek area. There are jobs to the east in Peachtree Corners/Norcross. Lots of jobs to the west in the Cumberland/Vinings area. And even more jobs south from Buckhead through Midtown all the way to Downtown Atlanta. There are other job areas but all of those are relatively convenient to that area.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:28 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Might want to get hired, first. Then move here. Otherwise don't move at all, assuming that you are currently employed where you're at, now. Maybe visit here a short time first, in order to attend job interviews or w/e.

And if you do move to a new city without a job lined up first, at first probably look at an extended stay hotel or something. Don't sign a lease.

If you even can rent an apartment without having a job. I've never tried to do that, but I imagine that might would be difficult.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:11 PM

I don't mind living in the suburbs and traveling downtown for work. I'm not dead set on Sandy Springs, this was just an option. I just don't want to live in an area where it's super sketchy. I have more than enough money saved up and will have a job before I even move there, this move is so that I can pursue my music career, I already have connections in ATL but living in New York makes it so difficult for me to do business. So, yes for now i'll be working a job, and will have one before I move, I have a couple interviews lined up already and have set a date to visit already. I was thinking of working at club or a venue of some sort...

Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What city will you be working in?
I am hoping to work Downtown Atlanta, because I am looking to get a job preferably in a nightclub, or lounge. But like I said I don't mind the commute since I have dealt with the worst type of traffic here in NY and San Francisco

Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Are you trying to live in the city or suburbs?
I was thinking the suburbs because it might be cheaper than the city, I don't know if that applies to Georgia.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:37 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawka1234 View Post
I was thinking the suburbs because it might be cheaper than the city, I don't know if that applies to Georgia.
Yes, it does. I would consider the North Druid Hills area. Diverse, relatively safe, and convenient to town. There are a number of housing options there that would fit within your budget.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:12 PM

Thank you so much LovinDecatur, I will look into this area. Is Midtown a safe area?, are the rents there reasonable, I already did a google search but don't how accurate that information was in regards to rent prices in Midtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta