Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What if you were Piedmont Hospital and wanted to go to Colony Square? Would you have to change buses at Arts Center station?
No, you would get off at Arts Center and walk the two blocks to Colony Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 02:12 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
No, you would get off at Arts Center and walk the two blocks to Colony Square.
Let's say you wanted to go Einstein's on 12th St. Or the Hudson Grille at 8th St.?

Would you need to transfer buses at Arts Center, or transfer to the train?

Or what if you live at Peachtree and 6th and would like to run up to the Mellow Mushroom or El Azteca for dinner?

Seems to me this change is just making it harder to get around by transit in Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I bet they had a choice b/t reliable service that terminates at Art Center or continuing service further intown that few used.

The value of the 110 primarily comes from serving Peachtree St in Buckhead and its lack of transit. That just isn't the case once it hits Midtown, as it is pretty much duplicating service.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I bet they had a choice b/t reliable service that terminates at Art Center or continuing service further intown that few used.

The value of the 110 primarily comes from serving Peachtree St in Buckhead and its lack of transit. That just isn't the case once it hits Midtown, as it is pretty much duplicating service.
What are the ridership numbers on the 110 bus south of 15th Street? Every time I ride it seems fairly busy.

It also looks like the new route 40 is reducing frequency from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Gah! They STILL can't get it right!
They're finally inaugurating the closest thing we'll have to a true city bus route (40) and it's on 30 minute utterly useless headways!
Route 4 has been turned from a halfway decently direct route to a total mess on its south end.
81 is a zig zagging mess.
111 Starts off heading for Indian Creek, then makes an inexplicable right turn in the literal opposite direction down Covington Highway, then up Hairston Rd, then back along Redan Rd.
155 zigs and zags from Milton Ave over to West End instead of just headed straight to Garnett or Five Points.

As a Dekalb resident, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be asked to vote for more funding for MARTA. With this utter disaster they're presenting, I can't do it. I'm not going to trust them with MORE money when it's clear they have no idea how to properly steward the money they already have!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 PM

49 posts, read 75,242 times
Many of the route patterns of MARTA is due to the terrain and neighborhood setup in the city. A LARGE portion of the ridership would balk if service was just relegated to "so called" main streets. That just isn't feasible, especially in many ATL neighborhoods that lack sidewalks.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Gah! They STILL can't get it right!
They're finally inaugurating the closest thing we'll have to a true city bus route (40) and it's on 30 minute utterly useless headways!
Route 4 has been turned from a halfway decently direct route to a total mess on its south end.
81 is a zig zagging mess.
111 Starts off heading for Indian Creek, then makes an inexplicable right turn in the literal opposite direction down Covington Highway, then up Hairston Rd, then back along Redan Rd.
155 zigs and zags from Milton Ave over to West End instead of just headed straight to Garnett or Five Points.

As a Dekalb resident, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be asked to vote for more funding for MARTA. With this utter disaster they're presenting, I can't do it. I'm not going to trust them with MORE money when it's clear they have no idea how to properly steward the money they already have!
MARTA has the issue of having to be a Urban Transportation System in a Sububrban setting. Some of the route have to do these haphazard routings due to the nature of the Built environment of this Metro area. Here in Atlanta you'll have a low income area where ridership will be hign next to a high income area where ridership is low. Now its not to say that MARTA is getting the routes 100% right. There are a few changes I would put in personally. So MARTA planners have to do a weird mixture of Main-line main street routes and feeder neighborhood routes to mix in with the Subway system.

So you will have main line routes that are also neighbor feeder routes. The number 4 is one of the best examples of that. The 4 should go straight down Moreland then straight back to the Inman Park station, but because at the end of the line there used to be massive public housing and low income neighborhoods the bus has to go through these neighborhood to serve the population that uses the route.

MARTA has plenty of main line routes that do this, 55, 12, 86, 30 I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:22 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
I'm surprised the 110 is getting so shortened, since it was supposed to be one of their ART Routes, from 5-Points to Brookhaven.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 AM

687 posts, read 744,475 times
Unbelievable (but truly believable) that the new 40 route will be on 30 minute headways.....they really shouldn't even bother.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
The new test route in Roswell/Peachtree Corners is interesting. If Gwinnett ever gets MARTA, they could easily expand this route a bit south or just connect other portions of Peachtree Corners to the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta