U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 PM

30,569 posts, read 29,060,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I know quite a few white families that have "fled" into South Hall, usually around Flowery Branch. The Hispanic population is clustered around East Hall and near the southern end of the city of Gainesville, and the black population is relatively low compared to Gwinnett and the city of Gainesville, so I guess South Hall doesn't seem "too diverse" to those people. Most people won't come out and say that they are fleeing diversity, though.
We know a few white families who moved from Gwinnett out to Oconee.

A couple of them told me their preference was to stay in Gwinnett and they were fine with a diverse student body. However, they said they were uncomfortable with their kids being one of only 2 or 3 white children in the class.

I don't know if that's true, that's just what they told me.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-21-2016, 04:38 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,740,040 times
This is purely anecdotal: I graduated from Forest Park High in 1993. At that time, "our diverse community school" was about half White, a third Black, and the rest an Asian/Hispanic mix. Fast forward over two decades: I am one of the few FP people still in Clayton County. A majority are in Henry County, with another large group in Fayette County; and yes this does include my Black and Asian classmates and friends. Virtually no one, except another classmate that is now mayor, stuck it out in Clayton County for a myriad of reasons. Also anecdotal: many of my friends' parents growing up had grown up in Southeast Atlanta (graduates of Fulton, George, and even Roosevelt High Schools; my mother was from Southwest Atlanta, Brown graduate) These Southeast Atlanta people seemed to move southeast out of the city: Forest Park/Lake City/Morrow--Jonesboro/Mt. Zion---Stockbridge----McDonough. Many of my mother's classmates from the Oakland City/ West End area seemed to flow southwest out of the city: East Point/ College Park----Riverdale/Union City-----Fayetteville/ Fairburn---Newnan. My mother-in-law even has cousins that grew up in the Bolton community in Northwest Atlanta that went from Bolton---Mableton----Smyrna----unincorporated West Cobb with Marietta address. Her cousin's children now reside in Paulding and South Cherokee. It would be interesting to trace the families of original post World War II Atlantans to see if they truly continued out in the same direction per my theory.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:00 PM

5,853 posts, read 4,540,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How far and where are they going to run?
Uh, another city/state where there are still ~90% white areas?

Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,577,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We know a few white families who moved from Gwinnett out to Oconee.

A couple of them told me their preference was to stay in Gwinnett and they were fine with a diverse student body. However, they said they were uncomfortable with their kids being one of only 2 or 3 white children in the class.

I don't know if that's true, that's just what they told me.
It's interesting how some schools are seemingly able to maintain a stable level of diversity and others are not. For example, Gainesville High School is over 50 percent Hispanic and the other 50 percent is about evenly split between black and white. It has been this way for years without much change, and I know several out of district white (and black) families that pay tuition for their kids to go to city schools, and not just for sports. They must be doing something right.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM

Gainesville and Marietta city systems both seem to be stable.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:50 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,575,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Gainesville and Marietta city systems both seem to be stable.
Doesn't appear to be the case in Marietta ...

Leaders to file civil rights suit against Marietta City School district | 11alive.com

Old 09-21-2016, 08:57 PM

I said demographics were relatively stable, not their legal status.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 PM

727 posts, read 588,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
This is purely anecdotal: I graduated from Forest Park High in 1993. At that time, "our diverse community school" was about half White, a third Black, and the rest an Asian/Hispanic mix. Fast forward over two decades: I am one of the few FP people still in Clayton County. A majority are in Henry County, with another large group in Fayette County; and yes this does include my Black and Asian classmates and friends. Virtually no one, except another classmate that is now mayor, stuck it out in Clayton County for a myriad of reasons. Also anecdotal: many of my friends' parents growing up had grown up in Southeast Atlanta (graduates of Fulton, George, and even Roosevelt High Schools; my mother was from Southwest Atlanta, Brown graduate) These Southeast Atlanta people seemed to move southeast out of the city: Forest Park/Lake City/Morrow--Jonesboro/Mt. Zion---Stockbridge----McDonough. Many of my mother's classmates from the Oakland City/ West End area seemed to flow southwest out of the city: East Point/ College Park----Riverdale/Union City-----Fayetteville/ Fairburn---Newnan. My mother-in-law even has cousins that grew up in the Bolton community in Northwest Atlanta that went from Bolton---Mableton----Smyrna----unincorporated West Cobb with Marietta address. Her cousin's children now reside in Paulding and South Cherokee. It would be interesting to trace the families of original post World War II Atlantans to see if they truly continued out in the same direction per my theory.
As your fellow 93 grad I resemble that remark, but I did have a few detours after college before settling in Fayette County.

Oklahoma-Columbus-Florida-Coweta-Fayette

Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM

15,057 posts, read 24,126,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
As your fellow 93 grad I resemble that remark, but I did have a few detours after college before settling in Fayette County.

Oklahoma-Columbus-Florida-Coweta-Fayette

You're a graduate of FPHS '93?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:52 PM

aries4118: Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta