U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,486,126 times

Advertisements

One more interesting map to add to this subject...

Attached Thumbnails
How and why did Gwinnett County change?-atl_foriegnborn.jpg  
Rate this post positively

Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,733,755 times
Your maps do show the fact that two-thirds of Clayton County are AS diverse as vast swatches of Gwinnett County (especially the northeastern swatch of Clayton (Forest Park/ Morrow/ Lake City...clear down to the City of Jonesboro and the Lake Spivey Community) Yes the western/ northwestern parts of the county (College Park/ Riverdale/ Lovejoy) are overwhelmingly Black, which kind of tilts the countywide demographics making it seem less diverse. Really the communities east of 19/41 are literally a mini United Nations. You will notice that communities around Forest Park and Conley trend a little more Hispanic (there are LOTS of older White folks there, too) Morrow and Lake City trend more Asian (also with a plurality of older White folks). Here in the Lake Spivey Community we have many South Asians (Indian and Pakistan) as opposed to the Southeast Asians (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laos, few Koreans) of Lake City and Morrow, Our community also trends whiter than our county as a whole, but is still VERY DIVERSE. On my street we have many small business owners of Asian, Black, White, and Hispanic ethnic groups and many retirees of all races.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Your maps do show the fact that two-thirds of Clayton County are AS diverse as vast swatches of Gwinnett County (especially the northeastern swatch of Clayton (Forest Park/ Morrow/ Lake City...clear down to the City of Jonesboro and the Lake Spivey Community) Yes the western/ northwestern parts of the county (College Park/ Riverdale/ Lovejoy) are overwhelmingly Black, which kind of tilts the countywide demographics making it seem less diverse. Really the communities east of 19/41 are literally a mini United Nations. You will notice that communities around Forest Park and Conley trend a little more Hispanic (there are LOTS of older White folks there, too) Morrow and Lake City trend more Asian (also with a plurality of older White folks). Here in the Lake Spivey Community we have many South Asians (Indian and Pakistan) as opposed to the Southeast Asians (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laos, few Koreans) of Lake City and Morrow, Our community also trends whiter than our county as a whole, but is still VERY DIVERSE. On my street we have many small business owners of Asian, Black, White, and Hispanic ethnic groups and many retirees of all races.
And that is great. I'm not trying to say its not or take anything away from Clayton.

But it is a pretty hard argument to make that Clayton is ahead of or on even footing with Gwinnett in this metric overall and that is what was being posited and what I was responding to.

One issue about Clayton is that western strip that isn't diverse also happens to be the denser portion of the county. If you overlay it with a density map you will see that. That is how Clayton has a majority race, yet some areas register diverse. With Gwinnett the opposite is true. That plays a great deal into why Gwinnett doesn't have a single majority race/ethnicity.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:27 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,733,755 times
Gwinnett's land area is roughly 3X Clayton's. That said, didn't you say that Gwinnett was 57% White? Isn't that a majority race?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 PM

96 posts, read 112,883 times
Quote:
Gwinnett's land area is roughly 3X Clayton's. That said, didn't you say that Gwinnett was 57% White? Isn't that a majority race?
It's 44% white according to this. http://www.city-data.com/county/Gwinnett_County-GA.html

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
No, I believe I said Gwinnett is 39.6% white, non-hispanic

from the same source posted above.

The amount of land area doesn't have much to do with the overall percentages. We haven't been discussing this in terms of overall population numbers.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 PM

4,460 posts, read 4,083,092 times
Partly because of Buford Highway was the catalyst as international stores and restaurants began to expand in the area, the growth continues north into Gwinett. I also think the Latino and Asian cultures are known for strong communities and living close to their families.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 PM

5,379 posts, read 4,352,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I also think the Latino and Asian cultures are known for strong communities and living close to their families.
A lot of immigrant populations in general are like this. I have some familiarity with the Eastern European groups namely the Bosnians. They are very close knit and have strong networks. There are Bosnians that haven't been here for 15 years that I think know more people in Gwinnett than my own family which has been in Gwinnett since the 80s.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,486,797 times
Quote:
That was me, though I didn't see the usual (Non Hispanic White) moniker. It was a reply to a person who downplayed Clayton's diversity (which is irrelevant to this thread anyway). Gwinnett is a big county and I find that the further North and East you go the whiter it gets and the further South and East you go the blacker it gets. Western and Central Gwinnett is the only true diverse area I can catch with my eyes (without the use of a census map).

Old 09-16-2016, 11:28 PM

30,556 posts, read 29,005,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
One more interesting map to add to this subject...
Not to divert the thread but it looks like the city of Atlanta gets clobbered on diversity by its suburban neighbors. Just an observation in passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta