U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2016, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,708 posts, read 18,509,040 times
Reputation: 9995

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Why Not Keep going.

Here is Fayette County. I'll be honest this is what I expected, but I have a tidbit to bring up in a moment




-First and foremost; Make better maps, seriously... Call Gwinnett and Cobb up and be like... can I contract your Cartographer for a week?

Ok, seriously... smaller system, but more simply and straight forward.

-Peachtree City and areas south of the county are whiter and ranked.

-Areas further north and the northeast towards Clayton are become much more black, but the area is very diverse along a black-white continuum.

-The segregation is much more blurred than it use to be. Things are more grey.

-Not many Asians, but a few Hispanics

-The big thing that stuck out to me is notice the other/2+ column is much higher than Gwinnett and Cobb. The reason is mostly the 2 or more races/biracial. It made me think of what someone said earlier. It would be there are more biracial families moving to parts of Fayette. I'm also curious if for some reason there is a systematic reporting difference caused by the schools districts. Not saying it isn't true, but there might be a difference in how they ask student to self-report race that causes them to answer differently (ie. well my grandma is black, so I'm mixed. Somewhere else someone might be encouraged to say... I really look more white (or black) and that is my identity, so I'm just that)

-They schools are considerably smaller!

-Sorry I forgot state rankings:
McIntosh: 26
Starrs Mill: 31
Whitewater: 36
Remainder: NR





Do you ever sleep?! I do! Comments tomorrow.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-18-2016, 03:56 AM
 
7,181 posts, read 6,614,900 times
Reputation: 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Hispanics and Asians are likely attracted to Southside areas like Clayton, Henry and North Fayette because of the lower housing costs relative to the much more heavily-populated Northside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Have you ever priced real estate in Fayette? The median listing price as of July 2016 was $320,000.

Regardless of race, families move to Fayette County all for the same reason -- for the great schools -- and because they have the financial means to do so.
That is an excellent point about the median listing price in Fayette County.

But the median listing price in the Fayetteville 30214 zip code (the zip code that covers most of the northern half of Fayette County) was only $244,900 as of July 31, 2016....Which is what I was responding to in noting that Hispanic and Asian immigrants and transplants are likely attracted to the lower housing costs that an area like North Fayette may offer relative to the housing costs throughout many parts of the much more crowded (overcrowded) north side of the Atlanta region.

Me and demonta were not talking about Fayette County as a whole, just the northern part of the county that offers home and housing prices that are relatively significantly lower than the rest of Fayette County as a whole where median listing prices are as high as $384,900 in the 30269 zip code (Peachtree City).

30214 Home Prices & Values
30214 Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

But even the relatively higher median listing price in Peachtree City (an area which seems to have the highest median listing price and generally be the most affluent area in Fayette County) appears to be a relative bargain compared with some of the most affluent areas of the Northside where median listing prices appear to range as high as $1 million+.

The relatively higher housing prices and costs on the Northside (driven up by the larger pockets of affluence and the overcrowding in less-affluent areas on the Northside) makes the relatively lower housing prices of the Southside (in areas of both great and average schools) attractive to many immigrants and transplants, especially if they do not have to live and work on the much more crowded Northside.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 03:59 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,054 posts, read 8,464,117 times
Reputation: 5180
Ok, I burned the late night hours trying to tackle the places of those involved in the discussions. I'm half tempted to keep going, but I don't know what I will find the time to make it to the other larger school districts after tonight (mainly Atlanta City, and Dekalb)





Key takeaways

- Apparently Fayette and Clayton County share the same map guy.

- Clayton is very black

- The schools are smaller, but Lovejoy is notably the biggest.

- There are certainly Asians in Clayton, but they are mostly in 2 of the 8 districts, Forest Park and Morrow.

- Those are also the same districts with the most Hispanics

- There are a moderate amount of Hispanics in other districts as well, but not all.

- It seems the further west and the further south you go in the county, it is more homogeneous black.

- The most diverse areas are in the north central and northeastern parts of the county; This area is also closer to the industrial districts and base of jobs in the area

- In my tired state I forgot to change the title of the chart from Fayette to Clayton.... I'm going to bed now... sorry.

Attached Thumbnails
How and why did Gwinnett County change?-clayton_hs_race.jpg   How and why did Gwinnett County change?-clayon_hs_map.jpg  
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 AM
 
7,181 posts, read 6,614,900 times
Reputation: 5039
Excellent stuff, cw.

If I could give you some rep, I would.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,770 posts, read 3,472,479 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Ok, I burned the late night hours trying to tackle the places of those involved in the discussions. I'm half tempted to keep going, but I don't know what I will find the time to make it to the other larger school districts after tonight (mainly Atlanta City, and Dekalb)





Key takeaways

- Apparently Fayette and Clayton County share the same map guy.

- Clayton is very black

- The schools are smaller, but Lovejoy is notably the biggest.

- There are certainly Asians in Clayton, but they are mostly in 2 of the 8 districts, Forest Park and Morrow.

- Those are also the same districts with the most Hispanics

- There are a moderate amount of Hispanics in other districts as well, but not all.

- It seems the further west and the further south you go in the county, it is more homogeneous black.

- The most diverse areas are in the north central and northeastern parts of the county; This area is also closer to the industrial districts and base of jobs in the area

- In my tired state I forgot to change the title of the chart from Fayette to Clayton.... I'm going to bed now... sorry.
+1 Thanks for the charts. Really interesting to see. Really surprised to see that Elite Scholars isn't more diverse seeing as its a magnet school. I wonder what Stilwell (fine arts magnet that opened two years ago) would look like.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM
 
Location: ATL -> HOU -> DAL -> ATL
5,322 posts, read 4,317,611 times
Reputation: 4383
Wow cwkimbro. I owe you at least a dozen rep points.
From my time subbing I definitely noticed that things were much more black/white in the eastern part of the county. Just look at the drop in Asian pop from Brookwood to Grayson. Archer and Dacula are similar to Grayson though Dacula is actually more Hispanic than Brookwood.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 09:40 AM
 
30,536 posts, read 28,940,239 times
Reputation: 11378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Do you ever sleep?! I do! Comments tomorrow.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 10:08 AM
 
1,814 posts, read 959,401 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Wow cwkimbro. I owe you at least a dozen rep points.
From my time subbing I definitely noticed that things were much more black/white in the eastern part of the county. Just look at the drop in Asian pop from Brookwood to Grayson. Archer and Dacula are similar to Grayson though Dacula is actually more Hispanic than Brookwood.
So what are you suggesting? What about black/white diversity is so troubling - if that's what you are suggesting? Don't get your comment especially in terms of Brookwood?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 10:21 AM
 
727 posts, read 580,336 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That is an excellent point about the median listing price in Fayette County.

But the median listing price in the Fayetteville 30214 zip code (the zip code that covers most of the northern half of Fayette County) was only $244,900 as of July 31, 2016....Which is what I was responding to in noting that Hispanic and Asian immigrants and transplants are likely attracted to the lower housing costs that an area like North Fayette may offer relative to the housing costs throughout many parts of the much more crowded (overcrowded) north side of the Atlanta region.

Me and demonta were not talking about Fayette County as a whole, just the northern part of the county that offers home and housing prices that are relatively significantly lower than the rest of Fayette County as a whole where median listing prices are as high as $384,900 in the 30269 zip code (Peachtree City).

30214 Home Prices & Values
30214 Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

But even the relatively higher median listing price in Peachtree City (an area which seems to have the highest median listing price and generally be the most affluent area in Fayette County) appears to be a relative bargain compared with some of the most affluent areas of the Northside where median listing prices appear to range as high as $1 million+.

The relatively higher housing prices and costs on the Northside (driven up by the larger pockets of affluence and the overcrowding in less-affluent areas on the Northside) makes the relatively lower housing prices of the Southside (in areas of both great and average schools) attractive to many immigrants and transplants, especially if they do not have to live and work on the much more crowded Northside.

I just looked in Realtor.com for the current avg. home listing prices by city. I know they can very based on zip code, but based on cities, the most expensive larger suburbs are:

Peachtree Corners, GA Housing Market, Trends, and Schools - realtor.com®

1. Sandy Springs 575K
2. Milton 516K
3. Alpharetta 499K
4. Dunwoody 458K
5. Peachtree City 450K

The most expensive cities are overwhelming white and Asian. The least expensive zip codes are predominantly African American or have large Hispanic/immigrant populations. The most diverse areas are somewhere in the middle.

Fayette:
Peachtree City: 450K
Fayetteville 30215: 349K
Fayetteville 30214: 225K
Brooks: 342K
Tyrone: 385K

Fulton:
John's Creek: 450K
Alpharetta: 499K
Milton: 516K
Roswell: 430K
Sandy Springs: 575K
College Park: 141K
East Point: 104K
Atlanta: 300K

Coweta:
Newnan: 234K
Sharpsburg: 289K
Senoia: 320K

Henry:
McDonough: 222K
Stockbridge: 164K
Locust Grove: 189K
Hampton: 170K

Cobb:
Marietta: 330K
Kennesaw: 299K
Powder Springs: 235K
Austell: 160K
Mableton: 255K

DeKalb:
Dunwoody: 458k
Decatur: 159K
Tucker: 205K
Stone Mountain: 126K
Lithonia: 129K
Clarkson: 135K

Gwinnett:
Lawrenceville: 210K
Lilburn: 230K
Snellville: 190K
Duluth: 399K
Norcross: 248K
Suwanee: 399K
Grayson: 287K
Sugar Hill: 300K
Dacula: 282K
Peachtree Corners: 322K

Clayton:
Forest Park: 60K
Jonesboro: 135K
Riverdale: 92K
Morrow: 85K
Lovejoy: 178K

Forsyth:
Cumming: 370K

Cherokee:
Woodstock: 296K
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 PM
 
Location: ATL -> HOU -> DAL -> ATL
5,322 posts, read 4,317,611 times
Reputation: 4383
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So what are you suggesting? What about black/white diversity is so troubling - if that's what you are suggesting? Don't get your comment especially in terms of Brookwood?
???
Where did I say it was troubling? It's just something I noticed that correlates with the data cwkimbro posted and coincides with some of the comments on this board about the spatial patterns of diversity in Gwinnett. The eastern parts of county tend to be more black and white and don't have feature the large hispanic and asian population the county is known for.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top