U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM

738 posts, read 606,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by La'Fayla View Post
It is really not that serious people. As long as you don't do it why should you worry? i stay in Charleston South Carolina and we don't have as much griffiti on the buildings but I do think that Griffiti is something that takes time. So if Atlanta really wanted to end all the Griffiti then they must not want it that bad because, art work like that doesn't take place over night. Besides whats the harm?? Have a little fun.
So is getting an education and working at a productive job - something these people obviously don't have time for. By the way, it's graffiti, not griffiti. And you live in Charleston, you don't stay there, unless your residence is a local hotel or inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 AM

288 posts, read 809,560 times
Ok honestly, here's my two cents on getting rid of the graffiti punks. Anyone remember the movie The Naked Gun? Well, there is a part where they show gang members spray painting a wall, then all of a sudden, it reverses on them. The cops set up a system behind the wall that reacts to spray paint, and then it discharges paint right back out, so basically spraying them in the face, lol!!!! I think that would be a great idea! Kinda hard for them to say they didnt do it now, hahaha!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 26,039 times
graffiti is without a doubt a form of art, and a very international form at that. it expands way beyond spray paint and bubble letters. plenty of graffiti artists that display in galleries and also paint under bridges, and like any art form, some are good and some are not. i personally prefer artists that put a lot of thought into what they paint. i don't think you should close your mind to an art form just because you don't agree with the canvas.

i always thought this evolution piece was genius:
http://www.blublu.org/sito/walls/2007/big/mix001.jpg (broken link)

this piece is also very nice:

And one more:

Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM

738 posts, read 606,111 times
I'll admit, those artists have talent. So why can't they paint on canvas? How would you like to have that painted on the side of your house? Remember, don't criticize it just because you don't like their canvas!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 26,039 times
actually, if i'm not mistaken those three artists are from europe, and more than likely they were painting legally. all three are clearly done on concrete retaining walls - not on anybody's house, and europe tends to have very relaxed laws on graffiti. i personally would enjoy some artwork like this in my neighborhood.

have you ever looked in to what it would cost to buy a canvas on that scale?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,122,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
So graf writers have a moral code governing buildings they avoid defacing. How nice.

So I guess those who happen to own commercial buildings which they would like to remain one solid color are just out of luck, eh? They should not have a say-so as to whether "color" gets added to the building they paid for, I guess.

Let's admit it for what it is. The graf artists are vain and need to have their egos stroked by painting on buildings that as many people as possible will see. Fair enough. Graf fits certain areas of certain cities and adds to the flavor. But it doesn't belong everywhere, and graf artists should respect that. To flip it, they wouldn't want a nice Laura Ashley style, floral print wallpaper hung in their favorite hip hop club, right?

And taggers (not to be confused with graf writers/artists) have no redeeming qualities. Scum with Krylon.
Whats your point?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,122,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Ok honestly, here's my two cents on getting rid of the graffiti punks. Anyone remember the movie The Naked Gun? Well, there is a part where they show gang members spray painting a wall, then all of a sudden, it reverses on them. The cops set up a system behind the wall that reacts to spray paint, and then it discharges paint right back out, so basically spraying them in the face, lol!!!! I think that would be a great idea! Kinda hard for them to say they didnt do it now, hahaha!
OMG!!! That is funny!!! Man that is a great idea!!! A wall that spray paints people when sprayed on...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY. Totally awesome!!!! Does OJ come with the wall?? Wooooooow Man Highriser987 your my new favorite comedian!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
So graf writers have a moral code governing buildings they avoid defacing. How nice.

So I guess those who happen to own commercial buildings which they would like to remain one solid color are just out of luck, eh? They should not have a say-so as to whether "color" gets added to the building they paid for, I guess.

No, they're not out of luck and they do have a say-so.

I used to work at a restaurant on Ponce that had a large retaining wall which the owners allowed graffiti artists to use for their work. At some point in the mid-'90s they decided they didn't want graffiti on the wall anymore, so they painted it white and since then it has not been used as a graffiti wall.

Some folks on this thread seem to think houses are being tagged. Show me a house that it occupied that has been tagged with paint. I've lived all over the city for a long time, and I don't recell seeing any houses that were used by graffiti artists or taggers (aside from houses in condemned areas which are slated to be torn down anyway).

Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Or you could do what they did on Saturday Night Live and get your own paint and write "sucks" next to the names of taggers.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM

15 posts, read 143,563 times
People don't paint on canvases cause you don't get fame that way. Grab a can and go outside catch a few tags and throwies and you already have people talking about you. Name 5 recent artists that paint on canvases. You can't. Ask me to name 5 famous graff writers from recent years I can spout off dozens. It's a way for kids growing up in a bad part of town to express themselves. Sure it might be a criminal activity, but atleast they aren't slinging dope. Graffiti isn't just hip hop, or black, or ghetto. It's every type of person. And the people who do those tags are the same exact people who go and do those beautiful murals. It's the same stuff. I love looking at tags just as much as I do a colorful peice under freedom bridge. I don't know about you, but I'd rather look at graff on a billboard than some stupid nike sign. You don't realize it, but you see advertisements everywhere. They are shoved down your throat and you don't have a choice about that. Graffiti writers go out and do the exact same thing that nike or mcdonalds does with their advertisements just without permission. Yeah vandalising is part of it, but if I was in this just to vandalise I would have got out of it a long time ago. I write because it's a way for me to express myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or