Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,058 times

Advertisements

I will also go the Braves game A LOT less frequently. Being a southsider, I always had three or four ways to avoid game day gridlock by avoiding 75 and using the surface streets. No more. After this year I am not certain if I will EVER go to another Braves game; it will just be too difficult. I have heard that people from the northern suburbs will have an easier time (not so sure looking at the traffic plans) unless of course they live in Northwest Atlanta or Cobb County itself, perhaps western Sandy Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,817 times
It doesn't bother me that the Braves are moving now as much as it did before. Yes, I'm going to miss being within a 20 minute walk to the games, but at the same time, I'm much more excited about the potential GSU/Carter development and what that will do for the neighborhood. If that development wasn't coming and getting rid of all of that surface parking, I'd still be upset about the move, but that is because I'm being selfish, not because they are moving to Cobb. That said, I will be attending significantly less games now, as will almost everybody that I know. I work in Midtown, and don't commute via car. Unless they set up a shuttle from somewhere like Arts Center that has it's own lane heading up to the stadium, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to get up there for a weekday game. Right now, it's easy to get to a weeknight game via MARTA. For weekend nights, the thought of paying whatever it's going to cost to park in combination with the traffic to get in and out will likely keep me away, save for maybe one game a year. Even friends in the northern suburbs said they will rarely attend a game when they move to Cobb, since they can't take MARTA there. Admittedly, I don't know many people in Cobb or Paulding, who the move will be a lot more convenient for.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Maybe y'all do, but I don't buy into this divisive narrative that everyone keeps pushing, trying to disconnect ANYTHING related to Cobb County or the Braves, from Atlanta.
Specific to this story, I don't think the criticism is of Cobb County, but of the Braves management and the company that owns them. The fact that a multibillion dollar publicly-traded corporation is trying to weasel a county recreational authority out of a few hundred thousand dollars is just pathetic.

I were a Cobb resident or government official, I'd be paying close attention to how the Braves treat their current host city on their way out.

Last edited by magnetar; 09-23-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 01:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
that is because I'm being selfish, not because they are moving to Cobb..
You are fabulously self aware. If more of the Braves bashers here were like you, this forum would be a much nicer place.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
I would love more detail on this. I am under the impression the recreation authority isn't the most efficiently run org in city gov, so I'm not going to take their statements at face value. But at the same time, the Braves are simply an investment and Liberty Media seems pretty good at maximizing returns at the government's expense.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
It doesn't bother me that the Braves are moving now as much as it did before. Yes, I'm going to miss being within a 20 minute walk to the games, but at the same time, I'm much more excited about the potential GSU/Carter development and what that will do for the neighborhood. If that development wasn't coming and getting rid of all of that surface parking, I'd still be upset about the move, but that is because I'm being selfish, not because they are moving to Cobb. That said, I will be attending significantly less games now, as will almost everybody that I know. I work in Midtown, and don't commute via car. Unless they set up a shuttle from somewhere like Arts Center that has it's own lane heading up to the stadium, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to get up there for a weekday game. Right now, it's easy to get to a weeknight game via MARTA. For weekend nights, the thought of paying whatever it's going to cost to park in combination with the traffic to get in and out will likely keep me away, save for maybe one game a year. Even friends in the northern suburbs said they will rarely attend a game when they move to Cobb, since they can't take MARTA there. Admittedly, I don't know many people in Cobb or Paulding, who the move will be a lot more convenient for.
That's just it. I think the Braves' move to Cobb may be a net positive for the CoA. Very few baseball fans outside this state are going to care that much that the Braves are outside the CoA; since they'll be keeping the name "Atlanta" in their title, their new location will just be a trivia point. (Again, I'm strictly speaking about fans of any MLB team outside the state of Georgia.)

Old 09-24-2016, 06:43 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That's just it. I think the Braves' move to Cobb may be a net positive for the CoA. Very few baseball fans outside this state are going to care that much that the Braves are outside the CoA; since they'll be keeping the name "Atlanta" in their title, their new location will just be a trivia point. (Again, I'm strictly speaking about fans of any MLB team outside the state of Georgia.)
Yep. When I first read about the Braves relocating to Cumberland I was a little disappointed but as the dust settles it looks like everybody may be a winner on this one.

In many ways this shows our depth and why the ATL can punch above its weight. Here you've got two pro sports behemoths running the city ragged. However, instead of getting shoved around like many mid-sized cities would be, Atlanta's got big burly cousin Cobb watching its back.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:05 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I would love more detail on this. I am under the impression the recreation authority isn't the most efficiently run org in city gov, so I'm not going to take their statements at face value. But at the same time, the Braves are simply an investment and Liberty Media seems pretty good at maximizing returns at the government's expense.
I really hope it's an accounting error (albeit a big one) more that a screwjob by the Braves.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:43 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep. When I first read about the Braves relocating to Cumberland I was a little disappointed but as the dust settles it looks like everybody may be a winner on this one.

In many ways this shows our depth and why the ATL can punch above its weight. Here you've got two pro sports behemoths running the city ragged. However, instead of getting shoved around like many mid-sized cities would be, Atlanta's got big burly cousin Cobb watching its back.
I was with you until that last sentence. Cobb is watching the CoA's back? Huh?

Old 09-24-2016, 07:18 PM

643 posts, read 571,210 times
There is still so much COA butthurt.

Y'all some sad, pathetic people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta