Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I meant the quality of human capital, not the quantity. Intelligence, homogeneity, education, etc.
We can start by doing a better job at retaining students from Tech, GSU, Emory, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:19 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Design your own street for AVs, dedicated transit lanes, protected bike lanes, etc.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...utm_source=twb

Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Figured I'd go ahead and create one to save yall the time

Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Figured I'd go ahead and create one to save yall the time
Is... is that parking literally up to the buildings' foundations?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Design your own street for AVs, dedicated transit lanes, protected bike lanes, etc.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...utm_source=twb
Where is the parking?!?!?!?

Old 05-31-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
...we know that cars cruising for on-street parking in American downtowns account for roughly 1,825 vehicle-miles traveled, for each curb space, every year—two-thirds the length of the country. We know that parking covers an astonishing percentage of urban land area (14 percent in housing-crunched Los Angeles county); that parking inflates the cost of housing and goods because developers fold it into property costs; and that when the city foots the bill for “free” parking, it’s a public subsidy to the affluent—non-car owning people are gifted no such real estate.
Quote:
Through real-world case studies and research projects, Shoup makes three central recommendations for cities: eliminate planning codes that require developers to build off-street parking, charge the correct prices for on-street parking throughout the day, and spend parking meter revenue to make visible improvements on metered streets.
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-shoup/560876/

Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Through real-world case studies and research projects, Shoup makes three central recommendations for cities: eliminate planning codes that require developers to build off-street parking, charge the correct prices for on-street parking throughout the day, and spend parking meter revenue to make visible improvements on metered streets.
Winner.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:53 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
What about existing garages?

Besides all in all I doubt this will ever get traction unless there was already a fairly strong transit system in the metro.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
What about existing garages?

Besides all in all I doubt this will ever get traction unless there was already a fairly strong transit system in the metro.
The article is about using our existing parking smarter. We have an oversupply of off-street parking, existing parking garages would not be going away but a parking fee (to fund transit projects) should be leveraged. Metering on-street spaces and using the funds collected to reinvest in the commercial districts where the meters are located.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:08 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The article is about using our existing parking smarter. We have an oversupply of off-street parking, existing parking garages would not be going away but a parking fee (to fund transit projects) should be leveraged. Metering on-street spaces and using the funds collected to reinvest in the commercial districts where the meters are located.
Typically parking garages allow masses of vehicles to be parked near a "hot spot" location (where by hotspot I mean either a mall, shopping district, business or resential apartments / condo's / towers, hotels, or even an employer.) where as city-wide there are probably several unused parking meters, I can gauruntee almost none of them are near any hot spot. When I drive to the Capital building for example I can never find a place to park anywhere on MLK, Mitchell, Central, or Courtland... To park within the vicinity I usually have to pay at a lot...where as sure there may be street parking available somewhere in Atlanta... it doesn't necessarily mean its where I need to be... The same principal holds true in Atlantic Station, there's no way Im going to be able to parallel park around the vicinity, typically I have to go underground and park

If you wanted to push the idea of using parking to pay for transit, maybe it would be better for the city to buy those lots and use some of the funds toward transit instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta