Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:18 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times

Advertisements

He died yesterday, and the story about him in the AJC is fascinating in that he had no experience in this type of work before being part of this team. I also didn't realize this is the largest bas-relief sculpture in the world.

(Please, let's not let this thread devolve into an issue about whether the sculpture is appropriate. That is for another thread/time. This is more about someone who had a hand creating a local landmark.)

Roy Faulkner, the man who carved Stone Mountain, dead at 84 | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quite an achievement.

As the article points out, the carvers had to work up close and were not able to step back and get perspective. I have always marveled at that.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:51 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Quite an achievement.

As the article points out, the carvers had to work up close and were not able to step back and get perspective. I have always marveled at that.
I agree. Like with Mount Rushmore, I have no idea how they do it. Personally, I'd have preferred if they had left Stone Mountain in its natural state.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
The article says the carving is controversial.

Of course, we all know that now. My question is, were there any dissenting voices at the time of its creation?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I agree. Like with Mount Rushmore, I have no idea how they do it. Personally, I'd have preferred if they had left Stone Mountain in its natural state.
Stone Mountain is MUCH bigger and more impressive than Mount Rushmore, which is a tacky tourist trap IMO. The town at the base of Mount Rushmore is like Gatlinburg -- tacky as hell.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:05 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Forget the Confederacy, I think the biggest offense about the carving is that it defaces such a unique natural wonder.

That said, I'm used to it, it's always been there, no big deal. I like the carving. And at least it is oriented nicely with that cool field/pond/museum.

Lots of great childhood memories with the laser show. And you gotta love those cable cars.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The carving is unique in that it's unlikely things like that will ever be created again in the U.S.

There would be too many environmental impact statements, historic preservation lawsuits, protests about the purpose and appearance of the carving, funding battles, you name it.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:22 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The carving is unique in that it's unlikely things like that will ever be created again in the U.S.
I choose to see it as a monument to progress, because every time I look at it, I'm reassured that we would never do something like that again. We have a long way to go, but we've come so far in terms of both racial awareness and environmental awareness.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Stone Mountain is MUCH bigger and more impressive than Mount Rushmore, which is a tacky tourist trap IMO. The town at the base of Mount Rushmore is like Gatlinburg -- tacky as hell.
But far more iconic than Stone Mountain. Mount Rushmore and its carving is used far more in pop culture than Stone Mountain.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
Mount Rushmore and its carving is used far more in pop culture than Stone Mountain
And that's where the real folly of the divisive design comes in. Had it been a carving of Martin Luther King with a scene of the Civil Rights movement behind him, it may have earned a place in pop culture. Had it been a notable Indian chief with a scene of Native Americans, that may have earned a place as well. It could have even been a Mt Rushmore II with Truman, Eisenhower, Roosevelt, and Kennedy on it.

Whether you find the subject matter of the carving distasteful or not, it certainly made sure that it would never be celebrated by the entire nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: