Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Saporta Report has provided a platform for Mike Dobbins and other Beltline skeptics in the past, so I'm not surprised by the point of view. I think Ryan resigning from ABP allows him to act independently of it, which is probably a good thing at this point. From his position inside the city design office, I don't think he'll be any less present in how the Beltline progresses.

IIRC, Dobbins isn't anti-Beltline as much as he is opposed to reserving ROW for the transit component in favor of getting the trail sections finished faster (which is a really shortsighted idea).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:32 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
IIRC, Dobbins isn't anti-Beltline as much as he is opposed to reserving ROW for the transit component in favor of getting the trail sections finished faster (which is a really shortsighted idea).
He's written a few pieces, on Saporta and elsewhere, about how the Beltline rail doesn't make sense because it doesn't connect residential areas to job centers (ignoring the crosstown streetcar lines which are planned to do exactly that). That's what I mean by "skeptic."

Old 10-06-2016, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
ABI is on the war path
Atlanta Beltline, Inc. issues warning to "Humans of the Atlanta BeltLine" Facebook group - The Atlanta Loop

Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I take it you mean the Atlanta B***line.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
At this point, I couldn't care less if they just stopped this whole project. These a-holes were trying to pressure Reynoldstown into allowing a too tall for the neighborhood building, by threatening to not build the BeltLine through the neighborhood if they didn't get their way. I'll bet they were surprised when many neighbors told them to pound sand and that they like the abandoned railway the way it is.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
I agree, lets cancel the whole thing.

Very weird reaction from the Beltline, why the hell would they not want to encourage discussion and culture on the Beltline. Someone at the Beltline needs a talking to.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:07 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
All she has to do is put a space and call it the "Belt Line" or "Belt-line"

Old 10-06-2016, 11:58 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I agree, lets cancel the whole thing.

Very weird reaction from the Beltline, why the hell would they not want to encourage discussion and culture on the Beltline. Someone at the Beltline needs a talking to.
Just standard lawyer letter protecting their trademark. But its hard to keep it from being generic. In Houston, Gerald Hines worked to convince the Galleria area to call itself "Uptown" to protect the trademark for his shopping mall. Now the Beltline isn't a mall, but they probably are planning on selling merchandise and other things with their trademark to support the project.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
She should fight this. Although, I understand the pressure/costs involved could deter such a thing.

This is a serious first amendment issue and overstretch that needs to be addressed.

While we are moving into an era with muddier situations where private/public partnerships are involved. Yes Atlanta Beltline Inc. is a private non-profit. People can't solely take and claim their name. These private organizations can not take this much power with the role they are playing.

However, the term Beltline is also the name of a government based tax allocation district and what is turning into a place name.

It is imperative people should be able to make social commentary about what the project is and its side effects. I know some might be more advertly pro or against, but generic social commentary of what it is, what it effects, and how people interact with it is highly important.

It isn't a realtor using the term in the course of business. It is a publication of a type making a commentary on a government, quasi-government, and associated private entities supporting it.

Even then, it is become an important place name within government. What is the name of the TAD afterall?

ABI can not own the term 'Beltline' in these respects.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Should ABI and CoA look at Seattle as an example for building affordable housing near transit?
Quote:
A coalition of public, private, and nonprofit partners has launched a permanent fund to support equitable affordable-housing options near public transit across the Seattle metro area. The money is arriving right on time.

The new $21 million Regional Equitable Development Initiative Fund (or REDI Fund) will give developers access to low-interest loans to acquire property near existing and emerging transit corridors. With future federal support for fair housing in doubt and Seattle housing costs skyrocketing, this rotating-loan fund will enable inclusive-housing developments throughout the Puget Sound region.
Regional Equitable Development Initiative for Puget Sound Seattle - CityLab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta