U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 AM
 
10,627 posts, read 7,541,774 times
Reputation: 3327

Advertisements

This is a silly comparison. Most troops are transported on busses or en mass in some way.

Having each infantryman driving around the battlefield in their own personal vehicle would be a disaster. Military logistics necessitate moving troops in mass just like large cities need to move people in mass to function well.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2016, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,468 posts, read 17,622,357 times
Reputation: 5435
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, the war analogy came to mind because I happened to be watching a documentary where they were talking about the critical nature of maneuverability and the ability to quickly make adjustments to conditions.

But, yeah, the same would be true in other contexts. I'm suggesting that there is something in human nature that makes us want to be prepared, capable and independent. It may go back to our earliest days when we were prey for other creatures.

And if so, those primal feelings could have a bearing on our attitudes toward mass transit vs being masters of our own destiny. I've talked to a lot of people who say they prefer to just get up and go on their own schedule, choose their own route, buzz through a drive-thru, haul a bunch of stuff, etc.
While sometimes driving in Atlanta can feel like a war (reason why aggressive driving is so bad here?) if we had a more complete transportation system people would have options. As it stands 95% of residents do not have options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:10 PM
 
29,428 posts, read 26,391,657 times
Reputation: 10312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is a silly comparison. Most troops are transported on busses or en mass in some way.

Having each infantryman driving around the battlefield in their own personal vehicle would be a disaster. Military logistics necessitate moving troops in mass just like large cities need to move people in mass to function well.
Well, that's where your analogy breaks down, jsvh. (And I'm not being critical of you personally.)

Can you imagine fighting a war where your troop carriers could only go to specified locations and could only depart at pre-set intervals?

But that's really beside the point.

I'm simply saying out that it may be a basic human instinct -- perhaps grounded in our desire for survival -- that makes a lot of folks lean toward transportation modes that put them in charge of when and where they go and the route they take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,468 posts, read 17,622,357 times
Reputation: 5435
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that's where your analogy breaks down, jsvh. (And I'm not being critical of you personally.)

Can you imagine fighting a war where your troop carriers could only go to specified locations and could only depart at pre-set intervals?

But that's really beside the point.

I'm simply saying out that it may be a basic human instinct -- perhaps grounded in our desire for survival -- that makes a lot of folks lean toward transportation modes that put them in charge of when and where they go and the route they take.
Basic Human Instinct? How in the world did the human race ever survive thousands of years without private automobiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:25 PM
 
29,428 posts, read 26,391,657 times
Reputation: 10312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Basic Human Instinct? How in the world did the human race ever survive thousands of years without private automobiles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,468 posts, read 17,622,357 times
Reputation: 5435
A cartoon from the 60's that reinforced the idea that the American Dream is 2 car garage in the suburbs. Since you bring up this cartoon, did you ever see a minority in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Duluth, GA
1,258 posts, read 995,883 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've talked to a lot of people who say they prefer to just get up and go on their own schedule, choose their own route, buzz through a drive-thru, haul a bunch of stuff, etc.
So, to you, buzzing through a drive-thru is part of a survival instinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:41 PM
 
29,428 posts, read 26,391,657 times
Reputation: 10312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
A cartoon from the 60's that reinforced the idea that the American Dream is 2 car garage in the suburbs. Since you bring up this cartoon, did you ever see a minority in it?
Well, 1960s cartoons like the Flintstones were pretty stinking white.

But what's your point? I've seen countless minorities driving cars and living happily in the suburbs, many with 2 car garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:45 PM
 
10,627 posts, read 7,541,774 times
Reputation: 3327
I hate being constrained with a car. It can be such a burden when you are trying to go around the city.

But even if every single person did have some primal instinct to drive everywhere it doesn't matter, it is just not logistically possible in a city as large as Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 PM
 
528 posts, read 454,261 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Maybe the independence thing is tied in with convenience. Let's say you took MARTA somewhere and made all the connections, etc.

What if you had to be somewhere else fast? Say you're at work and a customer says I need you to meet me at the job site right now. Or your kid get sick or hurt. Or an old friend comes into town and wants you to meet him for a beer after work?

Things come up.
Um, millions of people have been living car-free in post-industrial big cities outside of the US (and a few inside the US) for decades now. Usually the public transit is adequate enough that one can get to his/her location in a reasonable amount of time, and in the cases that it is not (which admittedly does happen when you're in a time crunch, even in European cities), there are cabs and ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top