U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:05 PM

29,402 posts, read 26,351,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
See inline answers
Quote:
Even more importantly, perhaps, I'm not locked in. Say a customer wants to meet on a job site or at their office. in that case you could use a personal vehicle or UBEr What if I want to run some errands on the way home? Uber, Instacart, or run errands at work or after arriving at the station. Of course if we built TODs at all future rail stations, where amenities like retail, grocery, etc. would be concentrated then it would work out great. Suppose I've got some bulky items to haul or other people who need to be picked up? ZipVan, hire movers, or buy a friend with a truck some beer. What if I get sick, Organizations like Georgia Commute Options have programs like Guaranteed Ride Home, where they will pay for a taxi or Uber. decide to tour another part of the city How likely is this to happen?, unexpectedly run into a friend who wants to meet somewhere Arrange for them to meet close to work or a location that is convenient to transit. Many of the large employment centers served by transit have options., or am fired and ordered to leave the premises? This happened to me, I gathered my things, put them in my bag and rode my bike back to MARTA. Or just put them in a box and have them mail it to you. Maybe I just want some peace and quiet and time alone to think. Relaxing on a train or bus, with headphones on is a great way to have PEACE and quiet. You sure won't get much PEACE in Atlanta traffic.
Those are pretty complicated solutions, cq. Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to come and go on your own schedule?

As to touring, I do it all the time. Checking out other parts of the ATL, especially at this time of year, is one of my favorite things. Settle into a nice vehicle, let the windows down, put on some nice tunes and go anywhere you want to go. That is deluxe, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:19 PM

1,258 posts, read 993,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Settle into a nice vehicle, let the windows down, put on some nice tunes and go anywhere you want to go. That is deluxe, in my opinion.
I thought this was a matter of survival instinct.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:22 PM

23,444 posts, read 17,589,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
After hitting up Olive Garden, rolling down the windows may be a life saving move.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
The basic desire for freedom of movement and exploration may well come from that.

I love to go out knocking around and taking in whatever the road brings my way. I assumed that was fairly common but maybe it is just me.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
After hitting up Olive Garden, rolling down the windows may be a life saving move.
That's hilarious!

Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The basic desire for freedom of movement and exploration may well come from that.

I love to go out knocking around and taking in whatever the road brings my way. I assumed that was fairly common but maybe it is just me.

It's because we're old, arjay, I'm afraid to say. Sunday afternoon car rides were a thing of my childhood with mom and dad. They've become a thing of my adulthood now I'm in my seniors. My children think it's boring, but they'll get there one day, too! Nothing like a country road on a Sunday afternoon, I say.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It's because we're old, arjay, I'm afraid to say. Sunday afternoon car rides were a thing of my childhood with mom and dad. They've become a thing of my adulthood now I'm in my seniors. My children think it's boring, but they'll get there one day, too! Nothing like a country road on a Sunday afternoon, I say.
I guess you are right, Ansley.

Back in the day people loved the open road and wrote books and even made movies about it.

Sounds like today's young folk would rather go for a ride on the streetcar with their headphones in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33abzXQfkc

Old 10-04-2016, 07:02 PM

10,590 posts, read 7,528,808 times
Strolling down the Beltline is more my cup of tea than sitting in traffic on 285. But to each his own.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:57 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,037,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Strolling down the Beltline is more my cup of tea than sitting in traffic on 285. But to each his own.
The beltline is neither heated, nor air conditioned. Nor are MARTA platforms and bus stops.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 PM

10,590 posts, read 7,528,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The beltline is neither heated, nor air conditioned. Nor are MARTA platforms and bus stops.
That is correct. There are many places in the world without HVAC that I find more enjoyable than places with HVAC. Sometimes you just need to get outside and see the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or