U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 04:20 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,947,204 times

Advertisements

He's not being genuine because he already had a bias against ITP neighborhoods. That's why I said that. If he was a more neutral poster, I wouldn't have said that. I agree with him on a lot of things...I just don't like how people moving into the city are being persecuted as if people don't do the same outside of the perimeter. It's just that whites have decided to move back into the city. Minorities have decided to move to areas outside of the city because it's cheaper at this point unless they want to move into some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the entire metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 04:28 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,670,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He's not being genuine because he already had a bias against ITP neighborhoods. That's why I said that. If he was a more neutral poster, I wouldn't have said that. I agree with him on a lot of things...I just don't like how people moving into the city are being persecuted as if people don't do the same outside of the perimeter. It's just that whites have decided to move back into the city. Minorities have decided to move to areas outside of the city because it's cheaper at this point unless they want to move into some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the entire metro area.
I'm not singling people out for moving into the city at all.

It is what they say regarding the out of the city or in the city debate on random forums and random intown newspapers.

The topic of diversity just happens to be an odd one, because it is frequently cited as a reason for going into the city... but diversity can really flourish in the middle prices areas often out of the city.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:32 PM

The real reason most move into the city is for walkability, convenience, and being closer to entertainment options. I do agree that people lie when they say they are moving into the city for diversity. White liberals are like that though. Minorities aren't fooled.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The real reason most move into the city is for walkability, convenience, and being closer to entertainment options. I do agree that people lie when they say they are moving into the city for diversity. White liberals are like that though. Minorities aren't fooled.
Well I don't think I see things so white and black as you (no pun intended) about people. I'm also not as distrustful at people, but... you're sort of agreeing with his point in saying this.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well I don't think I see things so white and black as you (no pun intended) about people. I'm also not as distrustful at people, but... you're sort of agreeing with his point in saying this.
I said I agreed with a lot of his points, but I feel like this is coming from a place of anti-ITP bias and not from a place of legitimate concern.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:55 PM

8,311 posts, read 10,260,630 times
Why would I possibly have an anti-ITP bias? Because I spend a lot of time defending the suburbs? That's not a bias, that's trying to shoot down other peoples' biases.

I love many intown neighborhoods. I've lived in some of them. I might live in some of them again some day. Now, I'll admit, I happen to NOT like Old Fourth Ward and a few other areas. But I love Buckhead, Midtown, Brookhaven, Morningside, Virginia Highland and others.

I may spend a lot of time throwing shade at the intown neighborhoods, but I hope I only do that when it's appropriate to making a points against someone else's suburban bias.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I said I agreed with a lot of his points, but I feel like this is coming from a place of anti-ITP bias and not from a place of legitimate concern.
So rather than take the argument at hand.... we're operating off of how you feel about the poster....

Maybe I missed a few discussions earlier this year, but I don't think he is anti-ITP bias'd at all.

From past posting history he seemed to like ITP, but he has found a place OTP because it had the affordability and livability he needed for him and his family. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Most of the things I think you are are likely misconstruing from him... and for that matter myself and some others lately on this forum have had to fend off a large anti-OTP/anti-Cobb/Anti-Braves/anti-driving/anti-anything-that-isn't-marta bias amongst other things. The thing is that is where most our region lives and I do believe some of this is coming from some ignorance of what the entire Atlanta region is like. Some people moved here and have only really gotten to know bits and pieces of it in detail. They might have ventured out for a specific job or to go to a specific store, but somethings seem missed sometimes. This also isn't just going on in this forum. I'm seeing it more in other places and for me it just seems like the reversal of how our parents generation was often anti-intown in ways they didn't need to be.

This forum has taken a very non-regionally minded turn and some of us are pushing back in our own ways. That doesn't need to be confused with being anti-something... just because we want to fend of the anti-whatever bias' of others.

I don't think everyone is this way by a long shot, but several vocal people are and at times it has gone unchecked.

This subject just happens to be one I have found odd in the past. Many people often talk about the suburbs in a way that is pre-90s. They don't have jobs, if they do it is mostly retail. It is only chain restaurants. It is devoid of diversity. Everyone is really just ultimately trying to drive intown. There are a ton of misconceptions beyond just this one topic that if not fully realized, regional planning gets worse... not better.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:35 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,804,937 times
There is no denying that much of Gwinnett is much more diverse than the "gentrified" areas of the city.
That said--
Little 5 Points and Krog Street are essentially in the same neighborhood--one is diverse, the other less so--white people go to both-(drawing from all over the city--if they had to depend on just the surrounding neigborhood, they would close within a month).
-but I really don't think that either is that representative of what most white people in the city want on a daily basis. Despite what these boards might suggest, most white people, like most people want places like Edgewood Shopping Center, and Midtown Place--you know, places where everyone shops at.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:51 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,617,341 times
It's like $15-20 for lunch at Krog.

I think your observations have more to do with poverty vs race.

Go down the street and look around at a cheap eatery. I think you'll find the diversity there.

I think your paranoia about white people stems from your own racist thoughts perhaps.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 10-02-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There is no denying that much of Gwinnett is much more diverse than the "gentrified" areas of the city.
That said--
Little 5 Points and Krog Street are essentially in the same neighborhood--one is diverse, the other less so--white people go to both-(drawing from all over the city--if they had to depend on just the surrounding neigborhood, they would close within a month).
-but I really don't think that either is that representative of what most white people in the city want on a daily basis. Despite what these boards might suggest, most white people, like most people want places like Edgewood Shopping Center, and Midtown Place--you know, places where everyone shops at.
I think you're probably right to a large extent.

I think they want some things that are new and exciting... something that is different from their parent's generation where they were brought up going there over and over.... especially in terms in dining out (the rise in popularity of new chain restaurants and non-chains, which are ironically almost becoming formulaic in their own ways too). So I do see some differences.

At the same time many people want to hang on to some of the beneficial predominately suburban amenities they had previously. A target, a Best Buy, a Barnes and Noble, a full-size grocery store, etc... They want affordability and convenience too and go on living life as normal.

Of course all these types of things need larger retail market areas larger than a few simply city neighborhoods, which brings demand for parking that is constantly demonized by some.

I think perhaps what I'm noticing in particular is some of the self-proclaimed urban-philes taking tongue-in-cheek comments from Creative Loafing about life outside the perimter a bit too seriously sometimes. Or perhaps they said something tongue-in-cheek- enough they take it seriously. The thing is these individuals don't usually talk up the intown big box stores and parking lots much, but they do talk up places like the Krog Street market and the like.

With that said the average person on the street doesn't think about these things that much overall. Most are just living life and following trends that prevail at the time, but some people are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta