Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:24 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

If I want chain Italian, I do Carrabba's. Olive Garden is just....meh.

I thought this was funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyhE3-_lCM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I thought this was funny:
That's great, Mutiny!

As usual with restaurant reviews, some loved it, some hated it.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
I would bet that half the people that call Olive Garden disgusting have never actually been there. I hadn't until recently, and I have to admit that it wasn't half bad. The salads are very good and the food, while definitely Americanized Italian, is tasty and not at all gross. I'm not sure where that BS is coming from - it's obviously a chain and not a 5-star restaurant but there is no need to peer down your noses at it. There is much, much worse food out there for sale.

I'm not trying to defend Olive Garden but it's certainly not the devil incarnate. There is an awful lot of condescension and food snobbery going on in this thread that I find much more distasteful than the food at the OG. Come on people...and the popularity of the place just doesn't lie. I've been there twice now and the place has been packed to the gills both times. It's really okay food and I would go there again...and it's not quite as cheap as I thought it would be from all of the belly-aching going on about it online.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's my understanding the Olive Garden does well all over the country, including New Jersey.
You're exactly right...people don't like to admit that this is a popular restaurant - even in places with healthy Italian populations. It just doesn't sit well with some folks and I'm calling BS...had to come out of the closet as a non-hater of the Olive Garden

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You're exactly right...people don't like to admit that this is a popular restaurant - even in places with healthy Italian populations. It just doesn't sit well with some folks and I'm calling BS...had to come out of the closet as a non-hater of the Olive Garden
Lancaster has a busy Olive Garden even with the absurd amounts of local italian/pizza places (most do both).

Old 10-08-2016, 08:32 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
I would bet that half the people that call Olive Garden disgusting have never actually been there. I hadn't until recently, and I have to admit that it wasn't half bad. The salads are very good and the food, while definitely Americanized Italian, is tasty and not at all gross. I'm not sure where that BS is coming from - it's obviously a chain and not a 5-star restaurant but there is no need to peer down your noses at it. There is much, much worse food out there for sale.

I'm not trying to defend Olive Garden but it's certainly not the devil incarnate. There is an awful lot of condescension and food snobbery going on in this thread that I find much more distasteful than the food at the OG. Come on people...and the popularity of the place just doesn't lie. I've been there twice now and the place has been packed to the gills both times. It's really okay food and I would go there again...and it's not quite as cheap as I thought it would be from all of the belly-aching going on about it online.
Dude...there are people who would rather exsanguinate themselves than eat at a chain restaurant. In their minds, eating at a chain restaurant is equivalent to eating raw sewage. Obviously, the food is really not that bad. But, as you said...it's food snobbery.

At work, all of our meals are catered. I've worked with guys who complain about literally every single meal, no matter what it is. No matter how simple or complex, no matter what genre of food, it's literally the worst thing they've ever eaten. They complain about the salad bar. They complain about the desserts. In all honesty, I think it's an attention grab.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
LOL. Seems so. I mean, I don't particularly care. I was just making an observation. I'm sure the NJ locations do well enough, at least to remain in business. It's reasonable to assume that the locations that they do have sufficiently serve their business purposes. There are enough non-haters, as you say. It's not like everyone in NJ is Italian. I'm not (well, a minority of my ancestry is Italian, but I don't ethnically identify with it). I wouldn't complain about eating at Olive Garden. But I would be more interested in the smaller places, and so would a lot of people (but not all), hence my comment. If Olive Garden opened up a location in my immediate area, I don't imagine they'd do very well at all because of the abundance of Italian restaurants, so people have other choices. So I'm sure they won't seek to open one here, whereas another large restaurant chain may (and there's space to do so).

Old 10-09-2016, 06:25 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:

^^^^^^

This. Good post.

I was beginning to think we were in the Twilight Zone or something.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Love it!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Dude...there are people who would rather exsanguinate themselves than eat at a chain restaurant. In their minds, eating at a chain restaurant is equivalent to eating raw sewage. Obviously, the food is really not that bad. But, as you said...it's food snobbery.

At work, all of our meals are catered. I've worked with guys who complain about literally every single meal, no matter what it is. No matter how simple or complex, no matter what genre of food, it's literally the worst thing they've ever eaten. They complain about the salad bar. They complain about the desserts. In all honesty, I think it's an attention grab.

Another good post. And spot on about attention-grabbing food snobbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta