Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
You mean the MSA, right?
I've never heard of "the MSA". What's that?

To clarify, I mistakenly read that as "1/2 mile", and not "1/2 mile radius". Big difference. So, I'm wrong about the number of areas that fit the description. However, the area I mentioned before (in Lawrenceville) I would argue is more walkable than, say, Grant Park, in terms of what types of stores/restaurants/services are located within X number of feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I use CCT Express so I understand there's some value, but it wouldn't take that many cars off the road via my statements above about the density of Atlanta and Cobb, and where people actually work. Transit just wouldn't get them to their jobs and if it could, it still wouldn't be convenient.

Then on top of that, you're going to force people to pay for it.
Many taxes are compulsory, such as taxes for school and income taxes which you don't know where the money be used eventually. We should have a law to impose some taxes and use it to develop community regardless how each idiviaul wants. You never get great projects done if you have to get every single vote. A lot of people are narrow minded. If they can get away to not pay for school taxes, they will refuse to pay since they don't have school age kids. Can we allow them? Surely not. I think if we want good things to happen in the community, we do need impose some taxes at management discretion. Atlanta could have been much more developed than today if we had more streched MARTA lines. If there wasn't MARTA reaching in Buckhead and Downwoody, you wouldn't see the development in those areas. Oh well, who cares. Those people who are narrow minded would say that. It's about economy and growth of Atlanta.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Metropolitan Statistical Area

Because I think the city of Atlanta, the city proper, is pretty walkable to any basic daily need....maybe not 100% of the city, but quite a bit...

And it depends on what you define as a walkable distance. And that might depend from person to person based on their idea of how long it should take.

I have no issue with walking 1.5 miles to anything at all.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There are very few places in Atlanta that fit that description.
True. Therefore, there are very few walkable places in Atlanta. It's a car dependent city. It's a sad fact.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
If there wasn't MARTA reaching in Buckhead and Downwoody, you wouldn't see the development in those areas.
Yeah all those millionaire's in Buckhead really benefited from Marta....especially that one rail stop.

So what happened with all the other rail stops in Atlanta, they're not developed like Buckhead and Dunwoody?

The number of people who actully work in Buckhead and ride Marta is minimal compared to number who work there and drive.

Last edited by gt6974a; 02-26-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
egg, meet chicken.

chicken, meet egg.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
I use CCT Express so I understand there's some value, but it wouldn't take that many cars off the road via my statements above about the density of Atlanta and Cobb, and where people actually work. Transit just wouldn't get them to their jobs and if it could, it still wouldn't be convenient.
I dunno -- run a light rail line along Cobb Parkway or perhaps paralleling 75, and run another from Cumberland to Austell or perhaps Douglassville along the E/W connector and perhaps up along Barrett Parkway, and I'll bet you see some ridership on Cobb County.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I dunno -- run a light rail line along Cobb Parkway or perhaps paralleling 75, and run another from Cumberland to Austell or perhaps Douglassville along the E/W connector and perhaps up along Barrett Parkway, and I'll bet you see some ridership on Cobb County.
Well, there's rail that runs along 400 and 85 and those roads are worse than 75....It goes back to density and job location.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Well, there's rail that runs along 400 and 85 and those roads are worse than 75....It goes back to density and job location.
They will be dicovered and developed once all land in Buckhead and Dunwoody is built out. High density is like radiation spreading out from center, rather than happening at the same time in the entire city. Demand has not built up to the point yet.

Last edited by CityFan; 02-26-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM

352 posts, read 1,424,930 times
Quote:
They get 1% sales from Fulton and Dekalb, how is that not alot??? Try 65% of Marta revenu which equates to 345 Million of the 530 Million total. Only 20% was in actual fares @ 106 Million

Cobb residents, unlike Fulton and Dekalb, get to vote on voluntarily taxing themselves with a temporary 1% sales tax for SPLOST projects. These usually pass somewhere around 55%. No way in Hell are they going to tax themselves for rail they won't use.
OK to follow your logic if Cobb residents won't pay taxes for rail they don't use then why should Fulton residences pay to widen roads so Cobb residents can have an easier comute and wear out the roads with their SUVs?

A toll on the border sounds fair right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta