U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 PM

5,358 posts, read 4,883,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinda Zamora View Post
So what if I am?

The reason I was curious was due to Wikipedia listing Georgia locations by per capita income, and Marietta somehow topped the list...by a wide, head-scratching margin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi..._capita_income

And someone actually mentions that is the most affluent city in all of Georgia on the Marietta page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marietta,_Georgia

Another reason not to trust what you find on Wikipedia...
Looks like someone has been seriously screwing around with the information on those Wikipedia pages.

Marietta has some large pockets of affluence, most notably to the east of the city in the unincorporated part of Cobb County with a Marietta mailing address (the area most commonly known as "East Cobb").

But those large pockets of affluence (while they are considerably affluent by non-Florida/non-Texas/non-coastal Southern standards) are not anywhere large and wealthy enough to push Marietta's per-capita income up to nearly $200,000 per year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 01:26 AM

12,904 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinda Zamora View Post
So what if I am?

Well, I think that's pretty cool.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:43 AM

12,904 posts, read 20,974,770 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_C...ia?wprov=sfsi1

Old 10-30-2016, 07:54 AM

109 posts, read 89,498 times
The west cobb portion of Marietta is also considered affluent.
Interesting enough there was a market study done for the new shopping center
being built across from the Avenues @ West Cobb.
Page 10 shows average HH income within a 3 mile radius of $117,541.
That would be considered affluent since the average HH in all of Georgia is about $47k.

Properties | Columbia Properties

Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,488,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Looks like someone has been seriously screwing around with the information on those Wikipedia pages.
The thought of some Cobb booster editing Wikipedia to artificially inflate his city's income data is kind of heartwarming.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
Buckhead, Georgia is a small city in Morgan County (population a few hundred) that the earlier link was referring to. Buckhead, also known as Beverly Hills South, is a very affluent community located in the northern 1/3 of the City of Atlanta (zip codes Atlanta 30305 and 30326 among others) Definitely NOT the same thing. I have been told that if Buckhead was a separate entity from the City of Atlanta (which it is NOT) it would easily be one of the most affluent cities in the entire country. The Buckhead community of northern Atlanta was not brought into the City of Atlanta until 1952 with the city's last big annexations which also included vast sections of Southwest Atlanta (Sylvan Hills, Cascade Heights, Niskey Lake, etc.) Rumors circulated at the time was that the Buckhead residents ceased to fight annexation after they realized they had lost "THE NAME" to the hamlet in Morgan County, good story, unsure if it is true. I would think that the "richest" city in Georgia would be Sea Island down in Glynn County on the coast, if even IT is incorporated. From my observation I do not see that Sea Island would have very many "non millionaires" unless it has such a very small permanent population since many of its homes are vacation or second homes.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:29 AM

1,241 posts, read 982,818 times
It doesn't say that anymore. Marietta is now listed at #45. Berkeley Lake is #1.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:33 AM

331 posts, read 190,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would venture to say that if we are limiting the argument to cities in Georgia, there are any number of them that would outrank Marietta.

Johns Creek
Milton
Alpharetta
Roswell
Decatur
Fayetteville
Peachtree City
Suwanee
Berkeley Lake
Dunwoody
Sandy Springs
I'd add Cumming to this list, but can't site any sources at this time. It has, however, been widely reported.

Also, I didn't take this as an assertion, but a question since there is the question mark at the end of the header and within the content.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 AM

1,132 posts, read 878,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
I'd add Cumming to this list, but can't site any sources at this time. It has, however, been widely reported.
Cumming is just behind Marietta in median household income, and much farther behind in per capita income...

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/tab...756,1320932,00

Old 11-04-2016, 07:47 PM

6,892 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post

Also, I didn't take this as an assertion, but a question since there is the question mark at the end of the header and within the content.
I would say the vast majority of the wealth in Forsyth is outside the city limits of Cumming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or