Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times

Advertisements

If you can afford it and you like the general area within the vicinity of Downtown Woodstock, I'd encourage you to look there. Inventory seems not to last long in that area, and the prices are skyrocketing in proximity to Downtown Woodstock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 01:04 PM

61 posts, read 79,255 times
Yeah that has been the problem. We were priced out of the house\floorplan we really wanted. Its cheaper in Hickory Flat but that's because of the distance from everything. Basically if we buy near Downtown Woodstock we would have to get a much smaller house and smaller lot for close to the same value.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 PM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Towne Lake area of Woodstock is pretty hot as well. Not too far out of Downtown Woodstock. Just not sure if the prices are already too high and will appreciate more (not sure if they'll continue to climb to match East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta type values)

Old 11-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Hey Aries I never got your final response....

Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,871 times
Where did you end up buying?

Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3ad View Post
Where did you end up buying?

Contracted in a new community in Hickory Flat. Gonna give it a shot. I was able to build the house my wife and I really wanted. Plus its quiet, has low crime and the Sequoyah School District is awesome. With close proximity to Woodstock, Alpharetta, Milton, Canton, Roswell, Crabapple we felt like even though the road infrastructure isn't up to par yet, we will be close to everything we need. Commuting is the biggest issue for most people, but my flexible schedule and telework options helps make that a non issue for me. I think the area will continue to grow but the Cherokee Commissioners really need to get on board with upgrading the road infrastructure with all the additional development coming between Hickory Flat and Holly Springs.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkskinman740 View Post
Contracted in a new community in Hickory Flat. Gonna give it a shot. I was able to build the house my wife and I really wanted. Plus its quiet, has low crime and the Sequoyah School District is awesome. With close proximity to Woodstock, Alpharetta, Milton, Canton, Roswell, Crabapple we felt like even though the road infrastructure isn't up to par yet, we will be close to everything we need. Commuting is the biggest issue for most people, but my flexible schedule and telework options helps make that a non issue for me. I think the area will continue to grow but the Cherokee Commissioners really need to get on board with upgrading the road infrastructure with all the additional development coming between Hickory Flat and Holly Springs.
Great comments and thanks for the post giving an update on what area of metro Atlanta you chose to relocate into.

But I wish you the best of luck in getting the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners to upgrade (widen/expand) the road infrastructure in that area.

Cherokee County (like much, if not most of metro Atlanta and North Georgia) is an area that can be notoriously reluctant to widen the roads because they think that too much road widening/expansion will help destroy the rural/exurban character of the area.

It is not an impossibility that the road infrastructure will eventually be upgraded in that part of Cherokee County, but it is not something that will come automatically in an area where the battles between pro-development interests, anti-development interests and ultra-libertarian factions can be intense at times.

The averse additude towards road expansion by the locals (particularly by many long-time Cherokee County residents who would prefer to see the county remain mostly exurban and rural) is one of the reasons why the Georgia Department of Transportation has backed away from past plans to add extra travel lanes to Georgia Highway 140 (Hickory Flat Highway) through Southeast Cherokee and North Fulton counties.

Instead of adding extra travel lanes, the state only added left, center and right-turn lanes to many stretches of GA 140 between Canton and Milton because many residents think that expanding the roadway to two travel lanes in each direction might encourage the area too become too suburban or even urban.....That's despite all of the heavy residential development that continues to be built in the area.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Great comments and thanks for the post giving an update on what area of metro Atlanta you chose to relocate into.

But I wish you the best of luck in getting the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners to upgrade (widen/expand) the road infrastructure in that area.

Cherokee County (like much, if not most of metro Atlanta and North Georgia) is an area that can be notoriously reluctant to widen the roads because they think that too much road widening/expansion will help destroy the rural/exurban character of the area.

It is not an impossibility that the road infrastructure will eventually be upgraded in that part of Cherokee County, but it is not something that will come automatically in an area where the battles between pro-development interests, anti-development interests and ultra-libertarian factions can be intense at times.

The averse additude towards road expansion by the locals (particularly by many long-time Cherokee County residents who would prefer to see the county remain mostly exurban and rural) is one of the reasons why the Georgia Department of Transportation has backed away from past plans to add extra travel lanes to Georgia Highway 140 (Hickory Flat Highway) through Southeast Cherokee and North Fulton counties.

Instead of adding extra travel lanes, the state only added left, center and right-turn lanes to many stretches of GA 140 between Canton and Milton because many residents think that expanding the roadway to two travel lanes in each direction might encourage the area too become too suburban or even urban.....That's despite all of the heavy residential development that continues to be built in the area.
If they want to keep that rural/exurban character, then I don't understand why these new subdivisions keep popping up! It doesn't bother me either way, I just find it funny that they're (the powers to be) are so against road expansion, yet have no problem approving all these subdivisions.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:30 PM

So I've been out here for a little over a month and here are my thoughts.....

1) I made a good decision. The area is growing and I love my house. Tons of new homes going up only helps my home value and people being priced out of Roswell, Milton, Alpharetta and East Cobb make it even better.

2) Nobody knows where Hickory Flat is. Might as well be in the witness protection program. Ubers get lost every time they come, no Food delivery of any kind other than Domino's.(No Uber eats or anything similar).
My conversations go like this...
Question: Where do you live? >Answer: Hickory Flat. Response: HUH? Who? Where?
My question to them: Have you ever heard of Crabapple? Response: Huh? No? Where is that?
My next question to them: Do you know where Roswell is? Answer: Yes
Ok I can direct you from there.......LOL

3) I get burning stares at Waffle House. Darkskinned black dude walks in and everybody's eyes are on me. No I'm not going to rob the place. I've gotten to know the staff, and they are very friendly and nice. My little daughter loves Waffle House breakfast, so I'm there a lot. After the stares...all is good.

4) People of Holly Springs, Canton, Hickory Flat are SUPER NICE! This is where Southern Hospitality really is. I have had great interactions, conversations and have been welcomed by my neighbors and the people everywhere I've gone. Outside of the stares....everybody is friendly. It is not quite like this in Alpharetta where you get the city type of interactions.

5) Highway 140 is a PAIN in the morning and evening. All the city-data people said be out before 7. My neighbors said be out by 6:15 AM or your commute will be horrible. Folks it is 100% True. I commute to Dunwoody and if I leave at 6AM, it takes 30 minutes. If I leave at 6:30AM it takes 1 Hour. If I leave at 7AM it takes 2 Hours. Yes 2 HOURS! I might have to get another vehicle. My schedule was really flexible until I got put on a recent project that has me in the office early. My beater cannot take these commutes for too long. GA-400 is tough. There were days where I was so tired I just sat in the parking lot for a minute and questioned my decision. So needless to say, I wake up at 4:45 AM now.

All in all the experience has been pretty good. I have had to really plan when I have to go intown especially during business hours because of the distance and traffic. I think I made a good decision but this area isn't for everyone. I have a family and had all my fun, so the peace and quiet, space, low crime and good schools are perfect for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta