Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,827,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I wonder if GDOT will add any lights to this interchange. My guess is that they won't.

- skbl17
hopefully some nice new LED high masts. 400 really needs to be lit all the way up at least to the north springs MARTA station. there is too much merging and chaos going on for those pathetic road reflectors to do the job (they keep getting knocked out, too). it's impossible at night to tell what lane you're in going north on 400 just past the interchange. that whole thing is just a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,607,449 times
Good, left exits are more dangerous than normal, and especially dangerous at major junctions. After this, I expect the I-20/I-285 interchange on the west side to be reconfigured.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:37 AM

81 posts, read 91,231 times
I live on Ashford Dunwoody and take 400 daily (north) to work so this *shouldn't* affect me too much going to work. Now coming home will be hell especially when they start messing around with the Abernathy interchange.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,978,391 times
Quote:
...So the state waits 25 years and ends up paying over $800 million for a project that they probably could have gotten done for only $100 million or so back in 1990....Something which of course makes perfect sense (sarcasm intended).
Doesn't this just speak to a greater problem in our metro? It seems like instead of doing any kind of realistic forecasting and planning for the future, our leaders just respond to problems after they occur. That makes fixing them more expensive, and I assume, time consuming.

Contrast that with Florida. Drive between Jacksonville and St. Augustine on US 1 and you'll see flyover ramps being constructed and major roadwork. It's easy to wonder why such major work is happening in an area that could more or less be described as rural. It's because the state knows that the Nocatee area is being developed and will probably have a population of around 50,000 in 20 or 30 years. Instead of waiting for them to all move in and then saying, "Uh, I guess we'll need to build roads to accommodate all of this," they're doing it now when the construction projects aren't disrupting much. They'll have all the road capacity they need to serve residents for a very long time, all because the state actually thought ahead a little bit.

I always learned in Florida that the transportation department is extremely well funded because the economy is based on tourism. They know that if traffic gets awful, people will just stop coming to Florida and the economy will collapse.

I wonder why we can't get the same idea through our heads. Atlanta is a logistics hub, and I would think that traffic could eventually reach a critical mass where all the freight companies just say "we're losing too much money sitting in traffic" and they move elsewhere. Not to mention that people just won't want to live here. I already know a few people who have left the city because traffic is too much of a hassle.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,718,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Doesn't this just speak to a greater problem in our metro? It seems like instead of doing any kind of realistic forecasting and planning for the future, our leaders just respond to problems after they occur. That makes fixing them more expensive, and I assume, time consuming.

Contrast that with Florida. Drive between Jacksonville and St. Augustine on US 1 and you'll see flyover ramps being constructed and major roadwork. It's easy to wonder why such major work is happening in an area that could more or less be described as rural. It's because the state knows that the Nocatee area is being developed and will probably have a population of around 50,000 in 20 or 30 years. Instead of waiting for them to all move in and then saying, "Uh, I guess we'll need to build roads to accommodate all of this," they're doing it now when the construction projects aren't disrupting much. They'll have all the road capacity they need to serve residents for a very long time, all because the state actually thought ahead a little bit.

I always learned in Florida that the transportation department is extremely well funded because the economy is based on tourism. They know that if traffic gets awful, people will just stop coming to Florida and the economy will collapse.

I wonder why we can't get the same idea through our heads. Atlanta is a logistics hub, and I would think that traffic could eventually reach a critical mass where all the freight companies just say "we're losing too much money sitting in traffic" and they move elsewhere. Not to mention that people just won't want to live here. I already know a few people who have left the city because traffic is too much of a hassle.
If there is one state we should not be using as an example, it's Florida. They did not handle or plan the rapid growth of the 20th century well. It is the poster child of sprawl. It has huge water issues, yet has Lake O, Everglades, Kississmee River, St Johns River, etc. Besides Miami's 1 line MetroRail, there is no REAL high capacity transit system.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 PM

What about SunRail?

Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,074,930 times
Quote:
Regarding 285/400, its been in the state's long-range plans for about the last 20-25 years (pretty much since 400 was extended, but kept getting delayed due to lack of funding.

I'd also love to know where B2R got the $100 million figure and whether or not it would've included construction of the C-D lanes up to Spalding/between Roswell Road and Ashford-Dunwoody.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM

10,733 posts, read 13,281,486 times
Lordy, was on 285 earlier today. That highway desperately needs restriping as does much of Peachtree St through Midtown.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,718,587 times
Quote:
What about SunRail?
You use SunRail as an example and skip TriRail? That just shows me you know nothing about it.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM

I'm definitely no expert on rail in Florida...but that's not the topic of this thread, no matter how much you want to derail it and pontificate your perspective that no transportation plan that doesn't include rail has any merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta