Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 AM

7 posts, read 41,646 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (late 20s) have been in Atlanta for a couple of years. We have rented in Decatur and Brookhaven so I am familiar with those areas, but I haven't had much reason to spend time in other parts of Atlanta such as Roswell, East Cobb, etc. Based on what we know we are interested in these areas, but are open to suggestions.

I work in midtown and would like to keep my commute around 30 minutes or less. I usually leave for the office by 7 am or shortly thereafter. I don't currently use MARTA to get to work, but would consider it.

We are willing to spend 500k. We plan on being in our next house for a while, so although it is only two of us now we would like to be able to grow into the house when our family expands. We prefer the suburban vibe to the city vibe. Good public schools are also important.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Well, working in midtown, Roswell and East Cobb will be tough to get to in 30 minutes. That's not to say that they're not great areas to consider, but I'd plan on more like 45 minutes going in and an hour or so heading home.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM

67 posts, read 237,491 times
Have you considered Dunwoody? You could take MARTA from there to Midtown and possibly keep your commute to 30 minutes. Try going on a Saturday and take the trip and see how long it takes. My sister-in-law lives in Dunwoody and LOVES it. They have great schools, specifically Austin and Vanderlyn Elem. schools. I think there may already be a thread here somewhere comparing the two.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
I work reverse commute from midtown to East Cobb and commute time is only 25 min.. The reverse of that would probably be 45 min. to 1 hour.

The only way to get from East Cobb to downtown is through 2-laned roads: riverside rd. or johnson ferry to roswell, or johnson ferry to abernathy to 400.

riverside is a nightmare, I feel VERY sorry for those who live in East Cobb and commute downtown/midtown.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydon View Post
My wife and I (late 20s) have been in Atlanta for a couple of years. We have rented in Decatur and Brookhaven so I am familiar with those areas, but I haven't had much reason to spend time in other parts of Atlanta such as Roswell, East Cobb, etc. Based on what we know we are interested in these areas, but are open to suggestions.

I work in midtown and would like to keep my commute around 30 minutes or less. I usually leave for the office by 7 am or shortly thereafter. I don't currently use MARTA to get to work, but would consider it.

We are willing to spend 500k. We plan on being in our next house for a while, so although it is only two of us now we would like to be able to grow into the house when our family expands. We prefer the suburban vibe to the city vibe. Good public schools are also important.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
What about the North Druid Hills and Oak Grove areas? I lived in OG and have many friends in both neighborhoods...everyone I know loves it there. Although the 'infills' tend to be pricey in these areas, you could likely find a renovated ranch within your budget. Check out listings in 30345 and 30329.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:41 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What about the North Druid Hills..... Check out listings in 30345 and 30329.
Is 30345 apart of N. Druid Hills?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,454 times
Hi, I am currently live in Hawthorne Ca. I have been seriously thinking about moving from LA to either Atlanta or Houston Texas. I have not been to either states but, I have heard good things about both states. Which state would be the best place for a single parent of one child to live in, that is cost friendly? I work as a CNA and need info on vocational schools in either state for LPN or LVN.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 7,085 times
Smyrna/ Vinings area is really nice, and they have a great public school system. I live in the area and work in atlantic station, and my commute is only 15 to 20 minuites.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
Is 30345 apart of N. Druid Hills?
Yes, IMO...it would really be considered the upper part of Oak Grove, I think. The lower part of OG would be Decatur 30033.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta