U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,738,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very interesting, didn't know that.
Most of Maryland is that way. Only the very old towns are incorporated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:11 PM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Most of Maryland is that way. Only the very old towns are incorporated.
And even not all of the old towns are incorporated. Ellicott City was founded in 1772 and it is unincorporated.

I was surprised when I found out that where I live, Silver Spring, isn't incorporated. Montgomery County only has a couple of incorporated jurisdictions but it's quite surprising that Baltimore County (I was up there over the weekend) has zero.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,738,136 times
Quote:
And even not all of the old towns are incorporated. Ellicott City was founded in 1772 and it is unincorporated.

I was surprised when I found out that where I live, Silver Spring, isn't incorporated. Montgomery County only has a couple of incorporated jurisdictions but it's quite surprising that Baltimore County (I was up there over the weekend) has zero.
I was shocked about Ellicott City as well. Carroll County has a lot of incorporated cities. It might have the most in the state.

I never realized that Silver Spring was not a city but I'm not too familiar with the Montgomery or Prince Georges County area.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:19 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You all thought Bill Edwards and Camillia Moore weren't going to start allowing such waste from Day 1?

Yeah, many warned you all that was going to happen. Also according to the Fulton County Tax Assessor, Arthur Ferdinand, South Fulton only has approximately 10 months of revenue for municipal operations coming in from the assessment of taxes conducted. I'm not saying, but I am just saying...
Better than the alternative of Union City continuing to annex and zoning all land industrial around unincorporated residential areas.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM

497 posts, read 512,038 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I was shocked about Ellicott City as well. Carroll County has a lot of incorporated cities. It might have the most in the state.

I never realized that Silver Spring was not a city but I'm not too familiar with the Montgomery or Prince Georges County area.
And it's great! The lack of incorporated areas in Baltimore-Washington area is one strong point of the region. In fact the strongest areas economically are unincorporated and run by the counties (Silver Spring, Bethesda, Columbia) even the county seat of Baltimore County (Towson) isnt incorporated and everything works just fine, if not better than the incorporated areas.

I always cringe when I learn about a township or city in New England or Jersey, it's an unnecessary layer of government because they are too small to get anything done so they latch onto the county or share with another city for services such as a school system, police, court system etc.

Takoma Park, MD for example has a big mouth about global issues like nuclear arsenals (like anybody really cares what they think) and has declared itself a sanctuary city but cant support it's own planning board, fire, school or library system, just to name a few and depends on the county for all that. What was the point of the extra layer of government? What exactly does the City of Takoma Park government do for its residents?

I believe some of these new cities formed in Fulton are too small or cant bring the revenue to build what they are suppose to if they had the balls to incorporate; such as school buildings etc. The branding and documentation alone is such a silly redundancy and will cost a lot with south fulton fire dept vs city of college park etc. They will either fold, be absorbed or be crying for help from another jurisdiction. These jurisdictions will have to team up on a lot of things that will make the incorporation look like a mistake.

I have to ask, was there any planning on how much revenue would be brought in and how they were going to build things like school buildings, let alone the boundaries?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:30 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
And it's great! The lack of incorporated areas in Baltimore-Washington area is one strong point of the region. In fact the strongest areas economically are unincorporated and run by the counties (Silver Spring, Bethesda, Columbia) even the county seat of Baltimore County (Towson) isnt incorporated and everything works just fine, if not better than the incorporated areas.

I always cringe when I learn about a township or city in New England or Jersey, it's an unnecessary layer of government because they are too small to get anything done so they latch onto the county or share with another city for services such as a school system, police, court system etc.

Takoma Park, MD for example has a big mouth about global issues like nuclear arsenals (like anybody really cares what they think) and has declared itself a sanctuary city but cant support it's own planning board, fire, school or library system, just to name a few and depends on the county for all that. What was the point of the extra layer of government? What exactly does the City of Takoma Park government do for its residents?

I believe some of these new cities formed in Fulton are too small or cant bring the revenue to build what they are suppose to if they had the balls to incorporate; such as school buildings etc. The branding and documentation alone is such a silly redundancy and will cost a lot with south fulton fire dept vs city of college park etc. They will either fold, be absorbed or be crying for help from another jurisdiction. These jurisdictions will have to team up on a lot of things that will make the incorporation look like a mistake.

I have to ask, was there any planning on how much revenue would be brought in and how they were going to build things like school buildings, let alone the boundaries?
As far as new Georgia cities and schools, the state mandates that counties run the school systems so no concern of new cities running schools. The existing city systems were grandfathered in way back in the 70s, no city can establish a new school district apart from the county today.

I am trying to think of incorporated Atlanta suburbs that have failed in my lifetime. Mountain View in north Clayton, largely because of airport expansion. Lithia Springs tried incorporating and then it was court overturned (in Douglas County) 20 years or so ago. North Atlanta was incorporated in the 50s or 60s for a few years and went under but is now back pretty much in the exact spot as the city of Brookhaven.

There was a city by the name of Elizabeth that is now completely taken over by Marietta. Of course there is the infamous Chattahoochee Plantation that extended up and down the Chattahoochee in Cobb County to keep Atlanta from annexing into Cobb. Another old city I remember seeing on old time maps was the city of Constitution in SW DeKalb abutting the Atlanta city limits.

Historically, there were others I am sure but just listing what I can think of from maps in my lifetime. The incorporated cities had colored in boundaries that made them stand out. Elizabeth and Constitution might have been defunct but since they had one time been incorporated still showed up on some maps with their boundaries marked. I do believe some of Atlanta's current neighborhoods were once separate cities that merged or were annexed into Atlanta. Some of the river communities: Chattahoochee, Riverside, Bolton.... and areas like East Lake and/or West End. I'm fuzzier here.

Other than that, I don't see doom and gloom for any Atlanta suburban city. Most have weathered life and massive change just fine.

Someone correct this list or add to it.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:43 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Now this cobbled mess of South Fulton might be another story....

Old 09-27-2017, 05:42 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Now this cobbled mess of South Fulton might be another story....
A story started by greedy municipalities taking commercial land and leaving Unincorporated residents in the dust. Cities handle services much better and now there's nobody to annex and steal our tax revenue anymore

Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 PM

4,646 posts, read 3,018,670 times
Quote:

I had no idea about any of this until reading this thread! It's hard to imagine any of these places being unincorporated, including Towson, Columbia & Rockville. It's actually pretty cool though.

I haven't been to Ellicott City yet, but have wanted to check it out for years. I hope they've recovered from that awful flood they had not long ago.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,422,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
A story started by greedy municipalities taking commercial land and leaving Unincorporated residents in the dust. Cities handle services much better and now there's nobody to annex and steal our tax revenue anymore
Uh, Fulton County Tax Assessor proved there is little to no real revenue for South Fulton to operate. I think that is why Union City chose to annex your neighbors and just allowed construction on land already within its boundaries for any new residental or revenue generating activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta