Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,689,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Looks like one of those sweet wireless streetcars too.

I wonder if the area is going to feel weird incomplete. It sounds like what is planned will take very little of the wide open parking lots up.
Wireless electricity! Its good stuff!

Those things on new LED street lamps: Government spying device or mini-Tesla coils?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,713,897 times
This development is going to do wonders for not only the area, but for creating a more seamless connection of the southside with Downtown Atlanta. Has anybody ever walked up Hank Aaron/Capitol Ave? It's horrible. If everything is developed the way it sounds, Hank Aaron and Georgia Ave will become pedestrian, bike, and transit friendly, while still developing in a way to allow traffic through. This is a huge win for Summerhill, Grant Park, Peoplestown, and even Mechanicsville. I don't live far from this area but never walk that way (always walk towards the zoo) - this will definitely change that, and bring a lot more life to a deserving area that has been waiting decades for this.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,713,897 times
Quote:

I wonder if the area is going to feel weird incomplete. It sounds like what is planned will take very little of the wide open parking lots up.
I don't think there is any way a development of this size could be completed all at once and not have a huge vacancy rate for a while. I like their phased plan, and I really like that they are starting by fixing up the abandoned buildings that already exist on Georgia Ave to bring in retail/restaurant space. That gives current residents in the area somewhere to support and shape in their own neighborhood while the residential student towers are being built. It will beautify the neighborhood prior to business/residential tenants coming in, which I'm sure will help advertising more than, "All of this will be developed sometime in the next 10 years".

Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM

687 posts, read 739,221 times
Fantastic that they are picking up those buildings and parcels of land on the east side of Hank Arron. It'll really help bridge the gap between Grant Park/Summerhill and the 'new' Turner Field area.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
More renderings. Talk about reconnecting the grid!

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/1/11/...ed-use-housing

Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,475,082 times
Quote:

This will be a different Streetcar than what we already have running on Auburn Ave??

Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
This will be a different Streetcar than what we already have running on Auburn Ave??
No still part of the city's proposed streetcar network.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 AM

561 posts, read 774,831 times
Same technology but will be operated by MARTA.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,309,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
This development is going to do wonders for not only the area, but for creating a more seamless connection of the southside with Downtown Atlanta. Has anybody ever walked up Hank Aaron/Capitol Ave? It's horrible. If everything is developed the way it sounds, Hank Aaron and Georgia Ave will become pedestrian, bike, and transit friendly, while still developing in a way to allow traffic through. This is a huge win for Summerhill, Grant Park, Peoplestown, and even Mechanicsville. I don't live far from this area but never walk that way (always walk towards the zoo) - this will definitely change that, and bring a lot more life to a deserving area that has been waiting decades for this.
I fully agree. The grant park area has become so nice, but if you walk just a few streets toward Summehill it goes from cute and renovated to run down projects very quickly. With the new food hall type development in southern grant park and now this to the far west of grant park and into Summerhill and peoplestown, this is going to be a huge catalyst for the entire area. Add in all the projects along memorial drive and southern Atlanta is going to gentrify very, very rapidly, which it needs quite badly considering how bad the crime is in some parts of it.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,086,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I fully agree. The grant park area has become so nice, but if you walk just a few streets toward Summehill it goes from cute and renovated to run down projects very quickly. With the new food hall type development in southern grant park and now this to the far west of grant park and into Summerhill and peoplestown, this is going to be a huge catalyst for the entire area. Add in all the projects along memorial drive and southern Atlanta is going to gentrify very, very rapidly, which it needs quite badly considering how bad the crime is in some parts of it.
Projects? Haven't been any of those in Atlanta for over a decade now. Stop exaggerating. Stop talking about something if you don't know about it and stop acting like you're an expert on Atlanta when your clearly not from here. I love transplants and the new perspectives they bring to the city, but don't come here and act like you know the city because you rode thru an area once or have looked at some stats on the internet. Trust you have no clue what the projects here were like. There is nothing in this city currently that can even compare to the old projects that USED to be all over the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: