Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 01:50 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,664,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I mean look at Fulton County leadership, they went to Dallas to view 'successful' transit, WTF?!
Actually looking at the summaries of 'priority projects' at the end, it's not so bad. Mostly it's BRT and frequent bus stuff, with the exception of GA400 which they've so graciously considered for heavy rail. So, no unnecessary light rail routes mimicking Dallas it would seem.

Again, the one thing I really disagree with is no commuter rail. I hope MARTA would add that to the project list despite them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 01:55 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,078,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
GA400 which they've so graciously considered for heavy rail. So, no unnecessary light rail routes mimicking Dallas it would seem.
That should be the only consideration for that corridor.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That should be the only consideration for that corridor.
Should be. MARTA already considered BRT, and LRT, and made a call as the actual transit agency as to which would be better for the corridor. They selected HRT. I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to accept that.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 PM

7,348 posts, read 6,484,802 times
Quote:
I mean look at Fulton County leadership, they went to Dallas to view 'successful' transit, WTF?!
Right, going to a successful transit agency to look at successful transit...how terrible.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Right, going to a successful transit agency to look at successful transit...how terrible.
Please tell me what makes it successful?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM

7,348 posts, read 6,484,802 times
Quote:
Please tell me what makes it successful?
The fact that it stretches in all directions from its main city. The fact that it's been expanded multiple times over its history.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,190,769 times
HRT extension southward would definitely be a technical challenge, with the airport. Either this whole existing section of track on the end would have to be demolished and then rebuilt at a downward slope so that the tracks could dig under the runway (if there's even any space under there):

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6374...7i13312!8i6656

...or, they'd use this branch off before Airport station that goes to the maintenance facility:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6484.../data=!3m1!1e3

Which, if they did that, I guess one of the 2 lines, Red or Gold, would run to the airport, and the other one would serve South Fulton, but not the airport, and would have to transfer at College Park for the airport.

Or, alternatively, a new third line would serve South Fulton, and then maybe terminate at 5 Points or Lindbergh or something.

I don't see it happening, and CRT is such a so much better solution in that much quieter part of the county. There is really no need for urban heavy rail down there.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,078,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The fact that it stretches in all directions from its main city. The fact that it's been expanded multiple times over its history.
So...MARTA.

Last edited by Gulch; 10-23-2017 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
So...MARTA.
But MARTA has far more riders, let alone more riders per mile, than DART. So... like a worse MARTA.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM
bu2

23,886 posts, read 14,684,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
HRT extension southward would definitely be a technical challenge, with the airport. Either this whole existing section of track on the end would have to be demolished and then rebuilt at a downward slope so that the tracks could dig under the runway (if there's even any space under there):

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6374...7i13312!8i6656

...or, they'd use this branch off before Airport station that goes to the maintenance facility:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6484.../data=!3m1!1e3

Which, if they did that, I guess one of the 2 lines, Red or Gold, would run to the airport, and the other one would serve South Fulton, but not the airport, and would have to transfer at College Park for the airport.

Or, alternatively, a new third line would serve South Fulton, and then maybe terminate at 5 Points or Lindbergh or something.

I don't see it happening, and CRT is such a so much better solution in that much quieter part of the county. There is really no need for urban heavy rail down there.
Looking at your map, that stub after the terminal looks like it could curve to the right through the parking lots instead of going under the runways.

There's not much there in South Fulton, but it might make sense eventually to service outlying commuters as a park n ride for Coweta and Fayette counties and perhaps stimulate Fairburn/Union City development with the route going to Shannon Square at Jonesboro Road. One of the weaknesses of MARTA is that it really doesn't provide any service for the South metro. Before anyone whines about them not paying taxes, they are on the highways that Fulton and DeKalb County people are stuck on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta