Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:59 PM

135 posts, read 88,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
first, to the trump voters: i'm sorry you got hoodwinked. but it is not time for division now. when you realize who this man is, and he starts taking away your guns, nothing is affordable anymore, and tanks start rolling in the streets, we love you and we want you to help us stand up and save america. let us do everything we can politically to try to make sure we alter the course of history.

this man has shown who he is: a man who holds no regard for human life, who is willing to use nuclear weapons, who has vowed to command our armed forces to commit war crimes, and who has vowed to plow over our constitution in his path to self-destruction.

this is not about politics! we will take paul ryan, jeb bush, marco rubio, john kasich, anyone! this is not about our candidate losing. this is about the future of the world. we do not want to see the end of this country!

here is an article from 2012 in the washington post. at the time, it was posted as a sort of comic relief after the election:

Fair warning: Bulgarian prophet predicted Obama would be last U.S. president

earlier this year, a psychic in a park in new york not only predicted that trump would win, but the e-mail scandal with james comey that would cause it. she also predicts that if trump takes office, someone will try to assassinate him, mike pence would become president, and that we would become a third world country.

A New York psychic predicted Trump would win way back in August

at the time, it was crazy. trump getting elected? it was a joke.

today, not so much. i know that there are many of you who want to deny the truth of what has happened, but that is an unwise decision: we need to start preparing now to protect each other as citizens and prevent violence from breaking out, we need to start organizing now before it is too late. get to know your neighbors. look out for each other. call your family members.

secondly, there are a lot of steps we can take as citizens to ensure this does not happen. voice your concern for donald trump's election at the protest at old fourth ward tonight. the event page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/333883863641601/

the protest does have a purpose. the founding fathers created the electoral college in cases of national emergency, to be a group of electors chosen by state committees. in georgia, it is legal for the electors to refuse to vote for the candidate the state voted for if they find that the president-elect is unfit to assume the position of commander-in-chief. the electors' role has almost always been ceremonial, but this year, they hold a grave responsibility in their hands, a veto power that the founding fathers implemented EXACTLY for times like this. demand that georgia's 16 republican electors refuse to vote for donald trump! this is NOT about democrat vs. republican. this is about the future of the free world. take a stand!
These pathetic cries of fear, gloom and doom and violent protests are nothing more than self entitled liberals who can't accept their loss. Republicans didn't burn flags and act like barbarians when obama won. Grow up. I'll take Trump any day over a Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 02:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sure. I am glad he is more supportive of transit too. But glad you can acknowledge there are some issues where you disagree with Trump.

What exactly do you think will be different about your second amendment rights under Trump than they are today under Obama?
Donald Trump Launches 'Second Amendment Coalition' - Breitbart
Quote:
What about "national security"?
Clinton has proven herself as untrustworthy and inept in matters of national security. There's no guarantee Trump will be better, but no guarantee he won't be either.
Quote:
You don't think Trump could have been playing up those issues to rile up voters like you to get out and vote for him when in reality he will bring no real change, do you?
A little bit I'm sure, also politics is the art of compromise. While I freely admit "compromise" here lately has meant one side holding its breath till the other capitulates, there will be give and take. Trump may want to kick all the illegal immigrants out, but he won't be able to, and will likely settle for tighter physical border security. Every politician, even Clinton, does this. They have to, they have to hit the issues hard to get voted in, then back off when they face the other side, and hopefully end up with a solution we can all live with even if no one is 100% happy.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'm not 100% a fan. But he has made statements in support of transit. As a republican to get cooperation from the rest of the party, he has to pander at least somewhat to the party line which unfortunately includes "no transit." Now are you going to claim that someone has to be 100% in favor of 100% of a candidate's policies? I gave a lot of weight to things like the 2nd amendment, the supreme court nominee, not having compromised national security, and being an outsider to the system rather than more of the same.
I think you're right that we have to wait to see what he actually does, and of course he hasn't done much yet. One thing he's done (or is doing) is putting together his transition team. Given the bolded piece, are you pretty happy that he's packing it full of George W. Bush apparatchiks and corporate lobbyists? (See the impressive list here: Insurgent Trump taps GOP insiders, lobbyists for transition - POLITICO). Trump's children will be managing his business interests, and he's also placed them in leadership roles on his transition team. Any concerns about "swampy" conflicts of interest there?

Old 11-11-2016, 02:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
first, to the trump voters: i'm sorry you got hoodwinked. but it is not time for division now. when you realize who this man is, and he starts taking away your guns, nothing is affordable anymore, and tanks start rolling in the streets, we love you and we want you to help us stand up and save america. let us do everything we can politically to try to make sure we alter the course of history.

this man has shown who he is: a man who holds no regard for human life, who is willing to use nuclear weapons, who has vowed to command our armed forces to commit war crimes, and who has vowed to plow over our constitution in his path to self-destruction.

this is not about politics! we will take paul ryan, jeb bush, marco rubio, john kasich, anyone! this is not about our candidate losing. this is about the future of the world. we do not want to see the end of this country!

here is an article from 2012 in the washington post. at the time, it was posted as a sort of comic relief after the election:

Fair warning: Bulgarian prophet predicted Obama would be last U.S. president

earlier this year, a psychic in a park in new york not only predicted that trump would win, but the e-mail scandal with james comey that would cause it. she also predicts that if trump takes office, someone will try to assassinate him, mike pence would become president, and that we would become a third world country.

A New York psychic predicted Trump would win way back in August

at the time, it was crazy. trump getting elected? it was a joke.

today, not so much. i know that there are many of you who want to deny the truth of what has happened, but that is an unwise decision: we need to start preparing now to protect each other as citizens and prevent violence from breaking out, we need to start organizing now before it is too late. get to know your neighbors. look out for each other. call your family members.

secondly, there are a lot of steps we can take as citizens to ensure this does not happen. voice your concern for donald trump's election at the protest at old fourth ward tonight. the event page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/333883863641601/

the protest does have a purpose. the founding fathers created the electoral college in cases of national emergency, to be a group of electors chosen by state committees. in georgia, it is legal for the electors to refuse to vote for the candidate the state voted for if they find that the president-elect is unfit to assume the position of commander-in-chief. the electors' role has almost always been ceremonial, but this year, they hold a grave responsibility in their hands, a veto power that the founding fathers implemented EXACTLY for times like this. demand that georgia's 16 republican electors refuse to vote for donald trump! this is NOT about democrat vs. republican. this is about the future of the free world. take a stand!
If you haven' selected a name for your protest group yet, I have a suggestion, "LOSERS".

Old 11-11-2016, 02:35 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I think you're right that we have to wait to see what he actually does, and of course he hasn't done much yet. One thing he's done (or is doing) is putting together his transition team. Given the bolded piece, are you pretty happy that he's packing it full of George W. Bush apparatchiks and corporate lobbyists? (See the impressive list here: Insurgent Trump taps GOP insiders, lobbyists for transition - POLITICO). Trump's children will be managing his business interests, and he's also placed them in leadership roles on his transition team. Any concerns about "swampy" conflicts of interest there?
Per the 1967 Anti-Nepotism Law (enacted by LBJ as a likely rebuke to JFK for appointing RFK as his Attorney General):

This law barred all federal officials from hiring or appointing relatives to serve directly under them. Nepotism hints at favoritism. It causes the public to question if the person is actually the most qualified or qualified at all for the role. Also is the family member getting special favors, special treatment, or extra pay that he/she doesn’t deserve.Family members can be appointed to lower positions or task agencies just not to the President’s direct cabinet.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:44 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Per the 1967 Anti-Nepotism Law (enacted by LBJ as a likely rebuke to JFK for appointing RFK as his Attorney General):

This law barred all federal officials from hiring or appointing relatives to serve directly under them. Nepotism hints at favoritism. It causes the public to question if the person is actually the most qualified or qualified at all for the role. Also is the family member getting special favors, special treatment, or extra pay that he/she doesn’t deserve.Family members can be appointed to lower positions or task agencies just not to the President’s direct cabinet.
The concern here wouldn't be nepotism (we're talking about the Trump Organization, after all!). It would be conflicts of interest: Trump's children managing his business interests at the same time they're filling positions in his administration.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times
Quote:
The concern here wouldn't be nepotism (we're talking about the Trump Organization, after all!). It would be conflicts of interest: Trump's children managing his business interests at the same time they're filling positions in his administration.
The issue is the same issues the right had with the Clinton organization, it would be a direct line to the president by feeding money to him and his children's company.

Those are serious issues that he has yet to address.

I personally believe only a small fringe element really wants Trump, but I can accept the Repubs taking over, but his extremist and unstable nature make him a risk that won't heal America.

I personally would be impressed by the electoral college taking a stand for someone who is "unqualified" for the job and putting in a McCain, Romney, or Kasich or someone else you feel would be able to actually work and make the government function. It would quell the fear, panic and unrest that is inevitable if he doesn't change and act presidential quickly. I don't expect him to change.

I actually see the electoral college doing a favor to both parties if such a thing occurred, and potentially opening a dialogue. If the Repubs did the unprecedented to change it, many on the right and left would hail it as a victory I believe and the Repubs wouldn't be dragging themselves into 2018 and 2020 with a serious risk around their neck.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
I'm not sure the transition team qualifies as an official government position subject to the anti-nepotism law. I've done some quick Googling, but can't find anything substantive.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:10 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
I thought you said that were going to be working on his transition team; now they're filling positions in his administration? Maybe you mean they're assisting in the search and appointment process?
And how would nepotism not be a conflict of interest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta