U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 AM

1,162 posts, read 513,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
How do your neighbors know you are straight? Because that's the same exact way they'll know that I'm LGBT.
in my old neioghborhood there were three LGBT families. Two were part of the neighborhood just like everyone else - they came to card parties, holiday potlucks, etc and were simply normal (I say that in the context of common, neighborhood, non-gender-specific normalcy - not in an assuming LGBT is abnormal context). However, the 3rd family was what I call 'militant LGBT' - they made sure everyone KNEW they were LGBT and looked for any slight they perceived was against them. Simply put, they had a chip on their shoulder.

The two cool families didn't hide who they were and no one cared! they were just our neighbors. That third family though, geesh, they assumed they were coming to the 'burbs and were going to encounter bible thumping bigots around every corner. No one liked them and they assumed it was b/c they were LGBT - they fulfilled their own prophecy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM

72 posts, read 54,768 times
I just check Craigslist. Atlanta apt prices are equal to those here in NYC!!!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,503,056 times
People in Smyrna don't give a hoot if your LGBT. It's very cosmopolitan. There's an LGBT couple in my old neighborhood, and no one cared.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:16 AM

72 posts, read 54,768 times
You keeping using the term dump and stepping over drug needles. Being from NYC, I'm envisioning the South Bronx in 70's and 80's and anyone that lived here during that time knows what i'm talking about. You make it sound like a 3rd world country.Is really that bad? I was actually considering moving there because I thought the cost of living would be lower, but I'm guessing it's not.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:16 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
in my old neioghborhood there were three LGBT families. Two were part of the neighborhood just like everyone else - they came to card parties, holiday potlucks, etc and were simply normal (I say that in the context of common, neighborhood, non-gender-specific normalcy - not in an assuming LGBT is abnormal context). However, the 3rd family was what I call 'militant LGBT' - they made sure everyone KNEW they were LGBT and looked for any slight they perceived was against them. Simply put, they had a chip on their shoulder.

The two cool families didn't hide who they were and no one cared! they were just our neighbors. That third family though, geesh, they assumed they were coming to the 'burbs and were going to encounter bible thumping bigots around every corner. No one liked them and they assumed it was b/c they were LGBT - they fulfilled their own prophecy.
Did they get beat up over it though? That's not remotely the same as simply being disliked.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did they get beat up over it though? That's not remotely the same as simply being disliked.
nope. they didnt.

You obviously had a bad experience but that doesnt mean its going to happen again. if you assume bigotry in your new area, you're going to find it.

wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
nope. they didnt.

You obviously had a bad experience but that doesnt mean its going to happen again. if you assume bigotry in your new area, you're going to find it.

wipe the slate clean and start fresh.
I'm not talking about myself, but you live in Wonderland if you think people who are assaulted by bigots due to their sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. are simply looking for it.

Your privilege is truly on full display here.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:27 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,532,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post
You keeping using the term dump and stepping over drug needles. Being from NYC, I'm envisioning the South Bronx in 70's and 80's and anyone that lived here during that time knows what i'm talking about. You make it sound like a 3rd world country.Is really that bad? I was actually considering moving there because I thought the cost of living would be lower, but I'm guessing it's not.
Yes. Stay where you are. There are drug needles, crack cocaine, PCP, etc all over the ground here. Apartments prices are higher than San Francisco. Run!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not talking about myself, but you live in Wonderland if you think people who are assaulted by bigots due to their sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. are simply looking for it.

Your privilege is truly on full display here.
Im not ashamed of my privilege, thank you.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Im not ashamed of my privilege, thank you.
That much is obvious.

It is the height of arrogance to assume that your privilege extends to others because it most surely does not.

You'd be better off just saying, "Oh well; sucks not to be a White, straight male."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta