Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 02:24 AM

82 posts, read 90,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Its not.Considering that these are existing building that are mostlly brick warehouses being re purposed.There is nothing suburban looking about that
I was baffled by that comment as well. This is the antithesis of suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 09:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
An article using the historic name of the area, instead of these fake-ass names like West Midtown or Upper Westside. Look it even has a welcome sign.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/1/4/1...rt-gregor-turk

Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,309,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
An article using the historic name of the area, instead of these fake-ass names like West Midtown or Upper Westside. Look it even has a welcome sign.

Lol, someone made that welcome sign and put it in their yard. I quite like it.

West Midtown is a thing because midtown is hot and marketing something as "west midtown" sounds urban and catchy. Blandtown sounds bizarre. However, if their neighborhood association really tried to own that name they could reclaim it. Start by putting this guy's nice sign right at the actual entrance of blandtown.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,201,228 times
I'm 100% behind the effort to preserve the name Blandtown. Deal with it, developers!

Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,315,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm 100% behind the effort to preserve the name Blandtown. Deal with it, developers!
Blandtown doesn't cover either of the areas known as West Midtown or Upper Westside.

Speaking of, what is the official name of the area bordered by Marietta Blvd. on the southwest, railroad tracks on the northeast, the river on the northwest? Because Google Maps doesn't cover it with Bolton, Hills Park, Underwood Hills, Fernleaf, or Ridgewood Heights.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 AM

298 posts, read 372,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Blandtown doesn't cover either of the areas known as West Midtown or Upper Westside.

Speaking of, what is the official name of the area bordered by Marietta Blvd. on the southwest, railroad tracks on the northeast, the river on the northwest? Because Google Maps doesn't cover it with Bolton, Hills Park, Underwood Hills, Fernleaf, or Ridgewood Heights.
That is a great question. Here is an official neighborhood map source: http://gis.atlantaga.gov/docs/Neighborhoods.pdf

Per the map that area is not a neighborhood and does not have a name. I suppose that is because it consists of a few SFHs, two apartment complexes, and the water plant.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,086,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
That is a great question. Here is an official neighborhood map source: http://gis.atlantaga.gov/docs/Neighborhoods.pdf

Per the map that area is not a neighborhood and does not have a name. I suppose that is because it consists of a few SFHs, two apartment complexes, and the water plant.
That's called Defoors. There were a few other complexes some years back in that area and they were cool to me but most on here would probably call somewhat sketch. Moores Mill Village was called Peppermill and Ashford was called Defoors Ferry Manor. Then you had Bolton Place which has since been torn down, it backed up into DFM but the entrance was on Marietta Blvd, then a few blocks over on LaDawn you had Hampton Oaks which is called Bridgeside now. That whole area was considered to be border of the westside and people jokingly called it "westside light", it wasn't that bad and it was a pretty diverse neighborhood even back then. Blacks, whites and Hispanics. There used to be this Mexican nightclub at the northern end of that block where they're building that new Publix and that place used to stay jumping. People from that part of Defoors that sat in between Fernleaf on one side and Bolton on the other simply claimed Defoors or Defoors Ave.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,315,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
That's called Defoors. There were a few other complexes some years back in that area and they were cool to me but most on here would probably call somewhat sketch. Moores Mill Village was called Peppermill and Ashford was called Defoors Ferry Manor. Then you had Bolton Place which has since been torn down, it backed up into DFM but the entrance was on Marietta Blvd, then a few blocks over on LaDawn you had Hampton Oaks which is called Bridgeside now. That whole area was considered to be border of the westside and people jokingly called it "westside light", it wasn't that bad and it was a pretty diverse neighborhood even back then. Blacks, whites and Hispanics. There used to be this Mexican nightclub at the northern end of that block where they're building that new Publix and that place used to stay jumping. People from that part of Defoors that sat in between Fernleaf on one side and Bolton on the other simply claimed Defoors or Defoors Ave.
I live there and have never once heard anyone call the area DeFoors. I guess the name faded out. That section has no real identity...time to give it one.

The complex you call Bolton Place...is that what was also Midtown West Apartment Homes?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,086,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I live there and have never once heard anyone call the area DeFoors. I guess the name faded out. That section has no real identity...time to give it one.

The complex you call Bolton Place...is that what was also Midtown West Apartment Homes?
Went to Jackson Elem for 3 years and Sutton middle for half a year in the 90s with kids from that area and they all called it Defoors. And after my folks split, my dad lived in a few of the older condos near there in Cross Creek and in the Fernleaf area. Still owns one. I consider myself to be from the area where my mom lived, but I spent alot of time over there with my dad. If you meet someone now who grew up in that area that will say" I'm from Defoors." The name hasn't faded out but we are probably running across different circles of people. And I think you are talking about Midtown West. I wasn't here when they changed the name but I do somewhat remeber seeing that somewhere. Older brick buildings that couldn't really see from Marietta Blvd. They built a townhouse development kinda right next to where it used to be I think

Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,047,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

Your missing the point

Fairlie-poplar is with in Downtown

Blandtown is with in West Midtown

The neighborhoods weren't urban but now since the area is developing the region has gain west midtown as the name of the greater area. It's not meant to replace the specific neighborhood names. The neighborhoods should retain there history and identity. West midtown is the greater area.

And west midtown is pretty straight forward its like saying east side or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta