Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM

53 posts, read 44,039 times

Advertisements

So I already posted a couple of months ago and was able to get enough information. At the time I think I was torn between Los Angeles and ATl. Now I am definitely certain I want to move to ATL.

I'm looking into Smyrna/Vining (some say they are the same place some say they really aren't) and Sandy Spring, the reason i'm considering these two places is because aside from affordability they seem pretty close to Atlanta. I'm also considering Kennesaw considering all the wonderful things i've been reading, I'm also considering Stone Mountain. Now I am hoping to find a two bedroom apartment to rent since I have a daughter who is ten and she is homeschooled, but it would be nice if she can have her own room, my budget is no more than $1,300.

I don't want more than an hour and a half commute from where i'm living into Atlanta (give or take) i'll be working in Atlanta. Since my daughter is homeschooled I would have her in a few social activities so she can be around children her age so an area that is pretty family friendly is ideal.

This is something I never really considered until I received a few hate emails from people who responded to my craigslist relocation ad telling me that I shouldn't move my nappy haired so on and so forth behind to Georgia, but I would like to move to a neighborhood where the people are receptive to diversity. I am a biracial woman so is my daughter, and my boyfriend is white and so being in a neighborhood that welcomes diversity would be great, I just really don't want to be in the "wrong part of town"

I appreciate you all here on City data who take the time out to help people such as myself. I really do. So thank you all in advance.

Last edited by New Yawka1234; 11-29-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 04:32 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,121 times
Most of Atlanta is pretty diverse and open to it. You might find small pockets here or there, and waaay out in the suburbs that still have that attitude. I would stay away from Stone mountain as crime there is quite a bit higher (generally speaking) than the other places you mentioned. Vinings is great, and very popular for the young professional demographic and going to be a lot closer to the city. Kennesaw is straight suburb, with the Caveat you have Kennesaw University there, so you have a decent amount of things going on from that perspective. Honestly I dont know alot about Sandy Springs. Personally based on what you stated I would say Vinings/Smyrna or Sandy Springs like you mentioned above.

Last edited by ecuresident; 11-29-2016 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-29-2016, 05:40 PM

I didn't know this about Stone Mountain, interesting... I should have mentioned that I wouldn't want to move anywhere too suburb. So yeah I guess it's between Sandy Springs and Smyrna. Is Vining/Smyrna essentially the same neighborhood. Also is my price range realistic for what I am seeking?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:27 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Vinings and Smyrna are 2 different places (Vinings is unincorporated area inside 285, Smyrna is an incorporated city outside 285), but there's an overlap area just outside of 285 which pretends it's Vinings (all the names say Vinings, but it has a Smyrna address.)

Cumberland is a distinct area in there, too. It's all part of the same general area.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Vinings and Smyrna technically are two different places but for your purposes you can consider them the same.

I live in the City of Smyrna but that puts me 1 mile south of downtown Smyrna and 3 miles north of the heart of Vinings - so we are not talking about a big area.

Also, Vinings and Smyrna share the same schools.

Because of the history of these two areas, Vinings is more affluent than Smyrna and less diverse. Location wise, Vinings is more desirable but again we are only talking about 3 miles.

If you are looking at townhomes or SFR, your budget will work better in Smyrna than Vinings. If you are looking at apartments, you should find options in both areas.

I like Sandy Springs a lot although I find it very confusing. They only became an incorporated city in the last decade and are in the process of building a town center. There are commercial areas that are ugly and a traffic nightmare and if you never left Roswell Road you would have a poor impression. But on paper Sandy Springs is very affluent - I believe more so than Vinings. When you drive back in the neighborhoods you find wonderful homes and mega mansions.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:45 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
To be fair to Sandy Springs, they're trying to change their look and feel in their 'downtown' area on Roswell Rd, to be more urban, something more like Decatur. Less 1980's style suburban strip malls, more city-style buildings built right up the curb.

But, it's going to be a very long process.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:20 AM

Thank you all for the input. How do people find apartments in Atlanta? I tried Craigslist and nothing on there seems legit, most of the listings seem to good to be true most listings advertising "just pay $300.00 your first month" deal. What other resources do people use when apartment hunting?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Also with Sandy Springs, the area between Abernathy and the Chattahoochee along Roswell Rd isn't the best. Or at least a lot of the apartment complexes. Closer to 285 and the Perimeter Center area is probably more what you want anyway.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Vinings and Smyrna technically are two different places but for your purposes you can consider them the same.

I live in the City of Smyrna but that puts me 1 mile south of downtown Smyrna and 3 miles north of the heart of Vinings - so we are not talking about a big area.

Also, Vinings and Smyrna share the same schools.

Because of the history of these two areas, Vinings is more affluent than Smyrna and less diverse. Location wise, Vinings is more desirable but again we are only talking about 3 miles.

If you are looking at townhomes or SFR, your budget will work better in Smyrna than Vinings. If you are looking at apartments, you should find options in both areas.

I like Sandy Springs a lot although I find it very confusing. They only became an incorporated city in the last decade and are in the process of building a town center. There are commercial areas that are ugly and a traffic nightmare and if you never left Roswell Road you would have a poor impression. But on paper Sandy Springs is very affluent - I believe more so than Vinings. When you drive back in the neighborhoods you find wonderful homes and mega mansions.

Actually you can live in Smyrna in the Teasley Elementary area and be right down the street from Vinings and the homes cost just as much or more than some of the homes in Vinings. You have a Smyna address but really live in unincorporated Cobb County. There are three apartment complexes along Spring Hill Parkway that may rent 2 bedrooms for around 1300 a month

Old 11-30-2016, 10:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawka1234 View Post
Thank you all for the input. How do people find apartments in Atlanta? I tried Craigslist and nothing on there seems legit, most of the listings seem to good to be true most listings advertising "just pay $300.00 your first month" deal. What other resources do people use when apartment hunting?
Try Promove, Apartments.com, Rent.com and Zillow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta