Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, we've been living in Marietta for a couple of months and we are thinking about buying a house at the beginning of the year sometime. The only issue is location. I will be starting a new job in Alpharetta close to the Verizon Ampitheater and my girlfriend works off of Cascade in West ATL. What do you think would be a better option for both of us as far as the commute times? I'm still not exactly familiar with the roads and interstates and everything. Right now, from our apartment in Marietta, it take my girlfriend about 45 minutes to get to work. She doesn't want it to take any longer than that.

ALSO

What areas do you guys like the best? We like Marietta, but mostly just the area around the square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
If you went with Sandy Springs, your commute would be easy, 20 minutes or so (straight shot up 400, reverse commute). Her commute would be all I-285, sort of against traffic and general commuting patterns. I don't think it should take longer than 45.

Sandy Springs is great. Easy to access Atlanta (and has MARTA stations as well), and it's easy to get to the rest of the metro area because of being right on 400 and 285. Pretty centrally located.

Traditionally it's been sort of a suburban area, but Roswell Rd has some unique and interesting stuff, it's not bad. And they're constructing a new city center downtown area on Roswell Rd. (Sandy Springs is a new city.)

Then over on the other side (east side) of Sandy Springs, you have Perimeter Center which is straight up cookie cutter, with a popular shopping mall (Perimeter Mall). And terrible traffic during the week and during holiday shopping season.

If you want a village feel that's sort of like Downtown Marietta (but not as good), from Sandy Springs you have historic Downtown Roswell area a couple exits north on the freeway. It's worth checking out.

Sandy Springs is also near Brookhaven's little village area, and it's really near Buckhead Village. And it's also not far from Vinings, and not terribly far from Marietta and Decatur.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:53 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
Sandy springs will be a reverse commute for both of you

The person working in Alpharetta will have to deal with the 75 and 285 traffic going to Alpharetta

Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,294 times
We live in Sandy Springs. We chose there because of its central location and close proximity to pretty everywhere we want and/or need to be

Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Marietta. Despite being 40,000 people smaller it has an identity and nice downtown. When you're in Marietta, you can tell you're in a different city in the metro. Sandy Springs on the other hand, feels like an extension of Atlanta. I'm not trying to sound negative about Sandy Springs but other than the commute I've always like Marietta better for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta